Don't want to go on a family holiday?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm

I am 20 years old, and I'll soon be moving away from home to live away to where my university is and is the right decision and I mainly did it because living with family I find is too stressful for me. I will certainly need to work on self-independent tasks and things you do at home like cooking as I have not really learnt it.
I've been having support for my ASD and I said I was worried about the family holiday coming up. And it is a big worry for me because in the past I have been overloaded in many ways and probably ruined these holidays for them. The person I'm seeing said it was a good idea to use that week to stay at home while their on holiday to practice cooking and home management in preparation to move away. I definitely would like to do this as I always get overloaded on the holidays and I don't want to ruin it for them and want to practice independence.

But my mother dosen't support this. She keeps telling me things like you'll burn the house down, you get locked out, what if the boiler goes off, or I kid you not the house gets struck by lightning. They also say it was a waste of money paying for a 3 bedroom place if one isn't coming. Like money is more important than supporting me with the big change in my life.
My dad kind of supports this and says I'm 20 and I'm old enough to be by myself but the problem is my Mum. She says she won't be able to relax on the holiday if I don't go with them. So I can either go with them and get overloaded where there isn't much to do and make them stressed, or I can stay here and cause them stress. I'm thankful they let me go on the holidays, but I would love to be by myself anyway I would see that as a holiday from them.

Any help on how to convince her to let me stay at home? Everyone else I spoke to said its a good idea and you don't have to go if you don't want to. I'm sick to death of family life and the stress which comes with it I cannot wait to move out of here.
Thanks

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

Whatever happens, the good news is,
soon you'll be away at the university! :)

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Whatever happens, the good news is,
soon you'll be away at the university! :)

Yeah thats very true :D