Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 8:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Today, if I suggest something benign like Asians are usually the best at math, or blacks tend to excel the most in highly athletic games, I'm, at the least, toeing the line of 'racism'. This makes no sense to me. We all make assumptions of others when we encounter them. Again-- primal instinct. This initial evaluation of someone is based on what? past experiences. And profiling becomes part of almost anyone's process in that regard. It may not fall neatly along racial/gender/etc lines for many people, but it's based almost exclusively in how someone looks and presents themselves

There are reasons that pertain to i) access to opportunity combined with ii) cultural upbringing which might explain why some groups are underrepresented in higher education (rather than biology). For instance Neil Tyson De Grasse a prominent black astrophysicist stated that in 2011 there were 11 US states there were no black students that took the AP computer science exam. A similar low number of women take this exam across the US. There is no biological evidence that women or black people have a lower levels of intelligence. Research suggests that black Americans have traditionally been discouraged in the education system to take college studies due to the cost of education and influence of largely white teachers in cultural ignorance that their black students are better off getting a job after school. The lack of networking opportunities with other women and lack of support from males discourages women from studying math related topics leading to careers in engineering and IT

Too much day-tah. Mind hurt. Hulk must smash now.