Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 2:27 pm

Hmm maybe it's a UK thing to say cinema? Idk. To me theatre is live action pays only and not movies

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2016, 3:52 pm

The cinema is the one place I can do alone. Because I am a CineFile, and I love films, it's one of my special interest. I don't need to focus on anyone, but the movie. It's the one social event that requires no social interaction. Besides I love film editing, and liking to look for little details in the background. I also like to learn from the actors and see how they do it because I myself am in the theater business as well.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:49 pm

I should be so lucky, to sneak away.

While I am flexible, I find that procrastination and other theatrics are emotionally-draining and can be used as a means to control people.

I was stupid, to say where I go to watch fireworks, and am seriously considering boycotting a new a pool, in 100F+

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:56 pm

dianthus wrote:
Do people really call it "the cinema"? Where I live everyone calls it the thee-aiter. :lol: Kind of like when I hear people say something about hiking in a "forest" and I'm like...you mean the woods right?

when I hear the woods it reminds me of "the woodshed." :|

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm

...I've tended toward it a lot .
" Billy No Mates " , as I believe VIZ magazine has it :( 8O .
I'm old enough that I went to movie theaters on my own , as a teenager , before American " normal " movie theaters basically all became multiplexes , when many/most were single-screen (Or , maybe double :? .) ones...Multiplexes didn't really come along , where I was anyway , until into the Eighties .
I've tended to like odd times , late-afternoon shows (like 4 PM or aso) , or end up going to last shows..." Billy No Mates " :? .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Filippa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

Sure, why not? If you really want to see something and you don't have anyone to go with, or no one else is interested, there's nothing wrong with going alone.
I have gone to the theatre on my own a few times to watch a play or a concert. It may be a bit uncomfortable before the event or during the intermission, but during the event itself nobody will be paying attention to who is alone or not. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:16 pm

hiya Filippa :) welcome to the club 8)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:20 pm

...In that pre-multiplex time , there were a couple of times I went to theaters intending to see a movie , and they either had no customers other than me at all or not enough to make up a quorum /minimum (maybe five) , and so they didn't run the movie :( .
Being homeless for so many years , I...er...do not have a DVD player , even when I've (like now) been " temporarily not homeless " it's been very rare when I've had a DVD player...So I can't see them :cry: Or " normal " TV either :-( , I haven't had one , even a broadcast TV-only (meaning no cable) one .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:41 pm

You're in the dark, and, unless you have really-conspicuous mannerisms, no one is paying attention to you, in the crowd. Or, if you go at the right time, noone is there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:45 pm

I've attended screenings where I was the only one in the theatre. very peaceful, I felt privileged. and I have just posted a nice even 52,052 posts :mrgreen:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

..." You always knew you'd be Elvis " one day , eh :mrgreen: ?????????
It's happened to me , a night-time screening , in a Berkley , CA , multiplex of CARS II being a recent-ish example .
Beserkley parents don't like " mersh " Di$ney sequels ?

auntblabby wrote:
I've attended screenings where I was the only one in the theatre. very peaceful, I felt privileged. and I have just posted a nice even 52,052 posts :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:10 pm

People outside of North America tend to call movies "The Cinema." We call movies "movies." And sometimes "flicks." People who are "sophisticated" tend to use the term "cinema" in the US.

In the old days, before multiplexes, people used to go to the "movie theater" to see movies.

After vaudeville "died," they placed movie screens within old vaudeville theaters--hence, the "movie theater."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:20 pm

^^^I never had a clue that I might be sophistimacated :o

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:27 pm

In the US, the "Cinema" usually refers to movies which are seen as being sort of avant-garde and literary. But people still usually call it "going to the movies," even when they go to see "cinema."

Bruce Willis and Rocky would not be considered "Cinema" in the US.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2016, 10:10 am

Going to the cinema alone is one of my favourite things.

I like it a lot less with other people, because they tend to be less punctual so that you end up missing the trailers and adverts (one of my favourite parts of the experience for some strange reason!!) and any scrunching of food and whispering drives me crazy.

People I go with often want to sit in the back/middle where everyone else is; I like sitting closer to the front where I usually have a whole row to myself. When you are on your own you also have the rather decadent option of walking out part way through, which I sometimes do when I don't like the film.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:06 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
Hmm maybe it's a UK thing to say cinema? Idk. To me theatre is live action pays only and not movies

I live in the U.S., and I rarely hear it called cinema. Most people I'm around say "movie theater" (with the stress on the second syllable of theater) when referring to it, and just "theater" (with the stress on the first syllable) when referring to live-action plays and musicals.