Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:06 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
Hmm maybe it's a UK thing to say cinema? Idk. To me theatre is live action pays only and not movies

I live in the U.S., and I rarely hear it called cinema. Most people I'm around say "movie theater" (with the stress on the second syllable of theater) when referring to it, and just "theater" (with the stress on the first syllable) when referring to live-action plays and musicals.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:26 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
You can go to the cinema alone if you say you are paid to write film reviews. Nobody will likely ask you but if they do that's what you say
I've done that by bringing a notepad and a pen, and walking into the theater with them in hand. I add to the deception by writing the movie title and today's date on top of the first page.

This always works perfectly. Taking notes on a movie is 100% legal. Theater workers are afraid to question me, thinking I'm with the media. Other moviegoers don't judge me for being alone, because they think it's for work or school. During the boring scenes, I actually scribble some words on paper, to make it look real. Sometimes I even write "Garbage!" or "Incompetent actors!" in big letters, for a low-level cheap scare.

This works best if you're young, because you'd look like a student when doing that. But I'm in my 30's, and no one ever questioned me yet.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:31 pm

Why do you bother with the charade, Aspie1?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:48 pm

Short answer: Because NTs rule the world.

Long answer: I prefer to get reactions of mild respect ("wow, he's reviewing a movie") or mixed reactions of derision and jealously ("he's a slacker who can't get an office job, but he's not answering e-mails at 11:00 PM"), rather than outright mockery ("he's a loser with no friends to go with him"). Of course, it matters less and less as you get older. I can probably get away with going alone at age 33 even without the notepad and pen. But if I did that in my 20's, I'd get harassed by some tough youths trying to impress their friends and/or girls.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 4:18 pm

...Funny enough/" life's " cycle , a lot of such converted downtown theaters have been converted back to live entertainment-oriented theaters now in the U.S.
KK , you and I and Auntblabby , for three , are old enough to remember before multiplexes , when at most some theaters were doubles , if that .
People used the term " Bijou " to generically call a movie theater that , a " local Bijou " m~ Funny enough , I saw that term used in another context in a novel by UK writer Doris Lessing ~ " bijou " .
It must have some additional UK English meanng .
It's been a long time since I've read the book so reconstructing it would be hard...

kraftiekortie wrote:
People outside of North America tend to call movies "The Cinema." We call movies "movies." And sometimes "flicks." People who are "sophisticated" tend to use the term "cinema" in the US.

In the old days, before multiplexes, people used to go to the "movie theater" to see movies.

After vaudeville "died," they placed movie screens within old vaudeville theaters--hence, the "movie theater."

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 8:16 pm

I just did it today. I saw Finding Dory by myself. I can be satisfied going by myself or with others. I actually invited one person to go with me, but he wasn't able to make is. No big deal, I went by myself and enjoyed it. I have really gotten to enjoy going to see movies in theatres. The best is when there aren't any strangers right next to me.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2016, 12:46 pm

I've seen several movies in theaters by myself. It was obvious to me that it was a weird thing to do because I had never seen a teen girl or young woman watch a movie alone.

For me it wasn't not a downer at all. In fact for the longest time I didn't understand why it was more normal to see a movie with friends instead of alone. Watching a movie, in my mind, is a solo activity. But then again I never talk during the movie, maybe after the movie if I gone with family or acquaintances. These days I just wait for movies to go to RedBox, HBO, etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 1:39 pm

I can't remember the last time I went out to see a movie or anything else for that matter.

dalek1963
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2016, 2:12 pm

Way too lonely, the best part of the cinema is to enjoy the outing and experience with someone else and talk about it afterwards. I just wait for the DVD if nobody is willing to see it with me, no matter how much I want to see it. I'm even willing to pay for friend's tickets to give them a free movie just because I'd rather they be there to share it with me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:22 pm

^^^welcome to WP 8)

it used to be that the superior sound and video quality would draw me to the cinema but no more, I am increasingly a hermit.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:39 pm

I don't because its kind of scary, being alone and not knowing what to do, whether its appropriate to go into the film now or later, or earlier? ive had it where my mothers taken me but not gone into the film, i just go in with a friend...does that count? probably not, ive had it where ive invited a friend to see a film, but they decline saying they are busy, only for me to see them going to see a different film.....at the same place.....how....unsubtle.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

asp159
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2016, 8:08 pm

I went to see X-men Apocalypse with my dad as my friend will hardly ever see me anymore, which i'm sure is due to my miraculous gift of Aspergers. Great film. Much cooler than the new Star Wars in my opinion. Helped me over my severe depression at the time. There were maybe 5 other people there which I actually preferred to there being none.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2016, 11:55 am

Quote:
Was it funny? I'm thinking about seeing it.

Yes, it was a hoot! It was great to see all the old cast reunited. Lots of jokes, and some really good riffing, too. :lol:

I think it re-airs on the 12th.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2016, 12:10 pm

I hardly go anywhere without my parents. It's got something to do with my anxiety and separation anxiety. I hate being alone, and my mom doesn't always allow it either. She's worried that something bad could happen. IE, I could meltdown and people would just stand there thinking I was having a tantrum... stuff like that. So, I don't really do any social activities by myself. Other reasons are due to my crippling anxiety.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 3:49 pm

sweeToxic wrote:
I hardly go anywhere without my parents. It's got something to do with my anxiety and separation anxiety. I hate being alone, and my mom doesn't always allow it either. She's worried that something bad could happen. IE, I could meltdown and people would just stand there thinking I was having a tantrum... stuff like that. So, I don't really do any social activities by myself. Other reasons are due to my crippling anxiety.

I hope the problems you described ease or go away so you can enjoy doing what you want when you want.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 8:06 am

I don't go to the cinema that often and can sometimes experience panic attacks in an auditorium setting because of all the people in a small space, but when I do go I much prefer to be alone. I can watch exactly what I want, I can sit exactly where I want, stay only as long as I want, and don't have the extra stress of having to navigate social stuff along with being in a scary environment. It actually makes the experience sometimes enjoyable rather than just a trial which is how I find seeing a movie with someone else most of the time!