Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

crylie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2016, 11:41 pm

i haven't been ever involved in military/don't have PTSD related to war. i just want to know if anyone here has PTSD too. it's a big, big challenge for me. what are your triggers? i hate my triggers. all of mine are sexual triggers, it's the worst. i have to look at the IMDB parental guidance info before i watch any movie i'm unfamiliar with :( it's stressful. it makes me feel like a baby because all my friends can watch graphic films and i can't. like, i am extremely effected by graphic sexuality. i also can't handle people touching me in certain ways. even my boyfriend can't touch me in certain places without me getting flashbacks/panic attacks. it's been hard. does anyone else suffer this way??

"Here, in my humble room at night, I often wonder what goes on out there; what makes them run so scared. I often stare at the people passing by, but they can't see me through my window shades; it's like I'm not even there. This is my private life." --(Private Life, Oingo Boingo)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 6:41 am

Yes, I do, I have been diagnosed with PTSD and I'm struggling with it. The details are personal but yes it's a common misunderstanding that this is only a combat issue.

There's a longer post I could make but, just for one small aspect you mention that are among my triggers and things I have a difficulty with, yes certain movies can be one -- I too can be badly triggered by certain types of scenes in a movie. I have things happen like I have to get up and pace around, have a physical/mental full blown panic attack, etc. Basically anything that either mirrors the situation or reminds of it can be a trigger and I fall down the rabbit hole and have to implement coping strategies; doesn't always work.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:23 pm

It has been suggested in the past that I have PTSD from being bullied severely in school. My big triggers are hearing the names of the bullies (even if it is someone who has the same name but wasn't one of the bullies) and seeing them in public. I have become afraid to leave my house alone because of my fears.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 2:06 pm

Yes. Multiple-Instances. Multiple-Categories. Slander and Libel is a Trigger, Extortion is Another, etc.

crylie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2016, 7:42 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, I do, I have been diagnosed with PTSD and I'm struggling with it. The details are personal but yes it's a common misunderstanding that this is only a combat issue.

There's a longer post I could make but, just for one small aspect you mention that are among my triggers and things I have a difficulty with, yes certain movies can be one -- I too can be badly triggered by certain types of scenes in a movie. I have things happen like I have to get up and pace around, have a physical/mental full blown panic attack, etc. Basically anything that either mirrors the situation or reminds of it can be a trigger and I fall down the rabbit hole and have to implement coping strategies; doesn't always work.

that is my exact reaction. i also don't react well to surprises in general, they scare me even if they are sometimes good surprises, i just get really overwhelmed. where that comes in for my PTSD is like, if i'm watching a film that i've never seen and wouldn't think there'd be graphic stuff in it, it surprises me and i haven't had the chance to wrap my head around it and so i freak out way more. even reading the IMDB parental guide can sometimes trigger me if it's detailed enough. i hate it, it makes my life SO hard. people get really annoyed with me about it--when i lived with my mom she'd groan about how she can't watch the movies or shows she likes because i'm around and they could trigger me. it makes me really self-conscious and whenever i have to explain to someone who doesn't know me well that i get triggered, they often are judgmental and try to tell me they don't believe in things like "trigger warnings" and say things like, "it's life, sex isn't bad, you just gotta grow up and move on and get over it". it's infuriating.

"Here, in my humble room at night, I often wonder what goes on out there; what makes them run so scared. I often stare at the people passing by, but they can't see me through my window shades; it's like I'm not even there. This is my private life." --(Private Life, Oingo Boingo)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm

Yes, from childhood abuse. Why?

crylie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2016, 9:56 pm

Fnord wrote:

um well to like, relate to others? i also have PTSD from child abuse. mine was sexual abuse and stuff. it was the worst. like, i'm just trying to find some common ground with others dude. i don't have any friends in "real life" that understand or suffer from PTSD. that's it.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:50 pm

That seems to be another one that he and I seem to have in common. I dislike discussing it though as it had been enough to drive me to live as an orphan, change my identity to erase that history, and merely referring to me as the former name or making derogatory comments that are in any way related to the name-change is also a gigantic psychosis-inducing trigger. The Legal-Name is really nothing more than a Corporate-Fiction anyway...

crylie wrote:
Fnord wrote:

um well to like, relate to others? i also have PTSD from child abuse. mine was sexual abuse and stuff. it was the worst. like, i'm just trying to find some common ground with others dude. i don't have any friends in "real life" that understand or suffer from PTSD. that's it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

crylie wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yeah, it's rough - rougher for girls, I think, than for boys. Sometimes a sound, a scent, or a flash of light at the wrong time will trigger a memory from childhood and put me in a fight-or-flight mode. But how do you run away from your own thoughts? How can you fight your own feelings?

The people who abused me as a child are either dead or disabled, making any confrontations with them fifty years after the fact somewhat pointless, if not impossible.

:( "... and then suddenly ... last summer ..."

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2016, 6:46 pm

yes, I have it from years of abuse from my father and neglect from both parents. not even mentioning how severely ive been bullied my entire life.

my stomach knots up all the time.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

I'm diagnosed with complex ptsd from a horrible series of things that happened in my life arc, some things contributed more than others and it all blurs into a monstrous seething cloud sometimes. It means a lot of my past is very threatening and corrosive to contend with and bring different varieties of demands to work through, I argued with my old therapist for almost a year claiming that I can't have ptsd because it insults those who've been raped, blown up, shot at or tortured etc and she had to patiently explain that ptsd presents and affects in various forms. Autism which I later discovered I had does not help, the two interact awfully haha.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 1:04 pm

Mine results from extreme, sudden, unexpected loss, 5.5 years, ago and 2 minor, but similar incidents, since. It stays dormant for the most part, and only rears it's head on occasion. I am triggered by anything that remotely resembles the loss, or any components of it, or incidences that possess immediate potential of loss. My trigger symptoms are; an instantaneous feeling of eternal loss and deep sadness, accompanied by physical pain in my heart. My trigger symptoms are extreme and perhaps irrational. Thankfully, they are few and far between.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 9:30 pm

I strongly suspect I have PTSD but I've never been able to talk to anyone about it.
Allowing myself to think about what happened results in horrible symptoms - even typing this is causing a reaction.
I don't know how to get help in view of this.
I'll never recover.
I just drink and try to forget.

macandpea
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2016, 8:21 pm

Yes, from bullying and an abusive relationship. My triggers are people yelling or being assaulted, can't watch fight scenes in movies

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 11:07 am

They tell me I have it.

I have never been in combat, in a war zone, in a major natural disaster, in a sustained or severely abusive relationship, raped, etc etc etc.

They tell me it probably resulted from a piling up of things-- normal autistic kid bullying in childhood, secondhand from having combat-related PTSD in my family of origin, several years of forcing myself to be extremely repressed quickly followed by losing my father, a pregnancy, and my stepmother all in ugly circumstances within 4 months, and being subjected to medical abuse for almost a year when I initially sought treatment for the depression resulting from all of the preceding.

Seems to me like saying that I'm so pathetically weak and stupid that I got PTSD from, you know, JUST LIFE.

Whatevs, man.

My triggers are yelling or an angry tone of voice, experiencing sadness or anger, having to be more than meekly and politely assertive, being ignored when I try to talk about my point of view, dealing with medical professionals, and the mere mention of antipsychotics in general and risperidone in particular.

I spend a lot of time getting triggered. Avoidance is really not a viable possibility considering the first five triggers (and the fact that antipsychotics are advertised on every damn channel on TV and every popular magazine with a really alarming frequency).

About the only things I can watch/read without hitting that trigger are Mother Earth News, Backwoods Home, and cartoon channels.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 7:04 pm

Have you talked with your psychiatrist/psychologist about therapy to desensitize you to your triggers? I know that some forms of CBT can do that, although it's very uncomfortable and you have to be willing to go through the panic and anxiety again and again so that it can lessen. Also, it doesn't always work. But it's worth a shot.

As for people having it who haven't been in combat, well it seems that most who say they have it haven't been in combat. It was originally called shell shock, and then battle fatigue.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com