Does you hide you Asperger or you proud of it?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:51 pm

Maybe I hide it a little, because I got the "Oh, so you are drawing the autism-card, right?"
If my difficulties become apparent, I tell about the aspect in question and maybe add, "I have aspergers".
Otherwise not.
I´m not proud - nor ashamed. It´s just me...the way I am.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm

I've been both public and private about my aspergers. I used to tell every breathing thing, but that didn't work out too well, and I've learned to be more conservative about who I tell. As for being proud, I think of it more like a blessing and a curse, not as something to be flaunted.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 4:44 pm

I try to hide it (but im not too good at it really...ish) because my parents and friends have and never will compromise, its either learn to adapt or stop trying to talk to them, nobodies ever "cut me some slack" hell my parents pretty much ignored my traits and signs so i was and always have been blamed for my mistakes, not making friends? clearly not trying hard enough. people getting offended for seemingly no reason? stop being so freaking rude then. being to blunt? no your just a bully, stop bullying people your supposed to love. so yeah generally i try to hide it because it just hurts people, but i end up hurting people anyway, its a no win situation

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 5:14 pm

saxgeek wrote:
I used to try to hide my Aspergers and try to appear neurotypical, but I can't say that this actually got me anywhere. I still was unable to make friends and form relationships like other people seem to do effortlessly. It's also very exhausting to act NT for long periods of time. Now, whenever I meet someone and get to know them (which is rare), I let them know that I have Aspergers. If they're an accepting person, they will likely understand and not think you're just plain weird or being rude to them. If they don't like it, then it's their problem, and they're probably not someone you want to be around anyway.

I just want to clear things up and point out that there is no evidence that Bill Gates has any form of autism. There was never any diagnosis published about him, and I personally don't think he has it. People speculate about him having Aspergers, but for him to get to the position where he was as CEO of one of the largest companies in the world, he had to have some social skills and be able to manipulate people.

He created Microsoft, he not need to play anything it was his company from very beginning,
even when it was tinny tinny start-up ;)

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

Having Aspergers is like missing a foot. I can imagine what it would be like if I had that foot, but mostly I just get on with my life minus the foot. It prevents me from doing a few things, but not as much as many people think. I am not ashamed about it, and will talk about it to anyone who asks. But I will not advertise it.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 6:10 pm

Incendax wrote:
Having Aspergers is like missing a foot. I can imagine what it would be like if I had that foot, but mostly I just get on with my life minus the foot. It prevents me from doing a few things, but not as much as many people think. I am not ashamed about it, and will talk about it to anyone who asks. But I will not advertise it.

People with AS has been even astronaut
see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak
But i did not know does we should be proud of her ;)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 3:24 am

saxgeek wrote:
I just want to clear things up and point out that there is no evidence that Bill Gates has any form of autism. There was never any diagnosis published about him, and I personally don't think he has it. People speculate about him having Aspergers, but for him to get to the position where he was as CEO of one of the largest companies in the world, he had to have some social skills and be able to manipulate people.

Beyond the usual socially ackword appearance that fuels public spectulation of Autism Gates has often appeared in public rocking back and forth. It was not Gates alone that built Microsoft. It was Gates in a 30 year partnership with the uber extroverted Steve Balmer that built it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:09 am

I don't hide it. I don't even try justifying my oddity. There's no sort of pride nor shame involved.
And, people don't want let alone need to know.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2016, 4:47 am

I ususally hide it because most people don't know what asperger is

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 7:41 am

The question is meaningless.

If you took out the word "aspergers", and substituted the word "homosexuality", then you would have a meaningful question.

For most of history (including most of my lifetime until a couple of years ago) if you happened to be homosexual you would not go out of your way to advertise the fact.

The reason was (a) most of the public knew what homosexuality is, and (b) most of the public also had an attitude about homosexuality. And that attitude was a ....BAD attitude.

In contrast even today very few people have even heard of "aspergers", nor have any notion of what "aspergers" is. And because they dont know WTF aspergers even is they dont have any kind of attitude about it (good, or bad).

So there is nothing there to either hide, or to reveal. Its not on the radar screen for others to look for in you.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 8:02 am

Aspergers is an invisible disability. I cant hide it because theres nothing to hide.

If you mean social problems i try to follow social rules best i can, but being awkward and maybe hard to read is unaviodable and cannot be hidden. Most people who have a conversation with me can tell im a tad different or strange but they just categorize it as "artsy" or "easily distracted" "in her own little world" which is out of my control.

If you mean telling people my diagnoses, i only tell people my diagnoses if they ask, or if its relevant.

But other than that i cant hide things i cant control and i theres nothing phisically to hide.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 8:18 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Aspergers is an invisible disability. I cant hide it because theres nothing to hide.

If you mean social problems i try to follow social rules best i can, but being awkward and maybe hard to read is unaviodable and cannot be hidden. Most people who have a conversation with me can tell im a tad different or strange but they just categorize it as "artsy" or "easily distracted" "in her own little world" which is out of my control.

If you mean telling people my diagnoses, i only tell people my diagnoses if they ask, or if its relevant.

But other than that i cant hide things i cant control and i theres nothing phisically to hide.

This.^

I lived through an older generation version of this. Was always a wierdo, and socially inept, and into my "own world", and so forth. Had the laundry list of symptoms that after 1994 are now put under the heading of "aspergers". But I grew up during the decades when there was no aspergers label. Did feel on guard about other folks knowing I was a "wierdo". But neither the public nor I had had any notion that the body of things I was getting grief for had an over arching heading or label like "aspergers". So in a sense I was always "hiding" aspergers, but even now I dont "hide" it because even now (in the post 1994 era when its officially recognized by the medical community as a diagnosis) the label itself still has no public meaning (at least in my experience). In fact only a few years ago the lady psychologist I had been going to said she had "never even heard of aspergers" until my family members brought up the subject. Even shrinks dont seem to know about it!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 8:58 am

Naturalplastic are you seriously 116 years old?! Dude your like a century old, do you remember the titanic sinking? Do you remember the first sound film? Holy s**t man your awesome. You could win a record or something. You were alive through world war 1 and 2

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 10:05 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Naturalplastic are you seriously 116 years old?! Dude your like a century old, do you remember the titanic sinking? Do you remember the first sound film? Holy s**t man your awesome. You could win a record or something. You were alive through world war 1 and 2

When I set up my WP profile I just clicked the January first 1900 as my b-day just to be done with it. So no. I am not THAT much older than you are. Am only 61.

Maxima12
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2016, 1:54 pm

AS is not gift, although some people who are very gifted usually have AS, but they are not known because of AS, they are known because of their talents.

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 2:05 pm

I'm open about Aspergers to family and friends (as it is pretty obvious I'm a bit "weird" and it explains my eccentricities) but hide it from casual acquaintances.