Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:56 pm

I used to do ALOT of things, I was better at cleaning, organizing, taking out the trash, doing laundry, managing my money & more things. I'm Soooo different now, now that my mom is gone, she made everything better. This is my second time living on my own, but this is the first time without my mom being here, making things MUCH HARDER for me. Since I moved on my own again almost 11 months ago, my life REALLY turned upside down & I been on a roller coaster, I been very overwhelmed, have more anxiety, sometimes I been hyperventilating, having panic attacks & more things. I'm learning now on how to calm down more, I'm playing games again on my iPad, playing games can take away my stress, help with my memory, help with me being very overwhelmed in life, REALLY CALM me down & it's fun playing games. If I take things day by day, it will be easier for me. I HATE that I have to struggle in life, but I'm leaning on how to deal with life. Too bad some of my family members really don't understand me. Good thing Thanksgiving & Christmas are months away, cuz they can cause toooo much drama.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jul 2016, 9:34 pm

Can totally relate.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2016, 2:33 am

i know the feeling. when i was in high school, it seemed like i was more independent, but since i was diagnosed in 2011, it seems like there's pressure on me to be independent. people are looking over my shoulder telling me to do this or to do that.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 2:51 am

Aspergers isn't ruining your life, your mom not being there to help you is ruining you life. You've always had aspergers, so you can't say you would have been so organized with out it. Now you just need to learn how to deal with things now that your mom isn't with you. Most people find living on their own hard at first.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 4:34 am

I used to do better too. Now I just don't see the point in bothering. My autism isn't going to go away. And I know what you mean about it ruining your life. I feel surrounded by something that I can't enjoy or connect with. A permanent outsider.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 10:15 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I used to do better too. Now I just don't see the point in bothering. My autism isn't going to go away. And I know what you mean about it ruining your life. I feel surrounded by something that I can't enjoy or connect with. A permanent outsider.

It's hard to do the same things every single day, but I'm trying to do my best at life.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2016, 4:42 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I used to do ALOT of things, I was better at cleaning, organizing, taking out the trash, doing laundry, managing my money & more things. I'm Soooo different now, now that my mom is gone, she made everything better. This is my second time living on my own, but this is the first time without my mom being here, making things MUCH HARDER for me. Since I moved on my own again almost 11 months ago, my life REALLY turned upside down & I been on a roller coaster, I been very overwhelmed, have more anxiety, sometimes I been hyperventilating, having panic attacks & more things. I'm learning now on how to calm down more, I'm playing games again on my iPad, playing games can take away my stress, help with my memory, help with me being very overwhelmed in life, REALLY CALM me down & it's fun playing games. If I take things day by day, it will be easier for me. I HATE that I have to struggle in life, but I'm leaning on how to deal with life. Too bad some of my family members really don't understand me. Good thing Thanksgiving & Christmas are months away, cuz they can cause toooo much drama.

Sounds like your mother was your caretaker.

Autism is not ruining your life, autism is who you are. It sounds like you need day to day assistance and proper caretaker. Getting and finding help especially alone is hard

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 5:07 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

It's hard to do the same things every single day, but I'm trying to do my best at life.

That's all you can do.
In the last few years since my diagnosis I have slowly become aware of my limitations. But also more attuned to my strengths. If I didn't have autism I think I would be a successful person, but I do, so I have to struggle. I can't not be autistic and because of that I am unable to enjoy the company of other people. My sensory perception is not going to calm down and I will always be about 15 minutes behind as far as ToM goes. The diagnosis has allowed me to stop being angry with myself for these things, but they are still there. And they still frustrate me.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 9:52 am

Do you think something like this would help?

Life task flowchart (scroll down)

I used to use a day planner when I was taking classes and got too stressed out to focus. Then I saw this chart and was like, where has this been all my life? I mean, we used to use flowcharts at work for projects, but I never thought about using it for my life.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 3:36 pm

I spent years in several different homes for people with chronic mental illness, especially schizophrenia, before I was finally diagnosed with Asperger's. Being in so many homes nearly ruined my life, getting diagnosed with Asperger's and eventually moving into my own apartment probably saved it.

It's hard to believe I used to have to live with ten other people, not including at least two staff, and had to do everything they told me to do all the time. When to get up, when to eat, doing chores. I had barely any freedom or control over anything except when I wasn't there because I was actually starting to have a life *outside*. So I stayed out as much as I could to avoid the general chaos of living with ten people who were screaming, hallucinating, chain-smoking (indoors), hacking and choking and getting sick constantly. But I supposedly only had behavioral problems so everything I did wrong was completely my fault.

I still have bad dreams about suddenly being back there with no clue how or why, wanting to go back to my apartment, but someone else has already moved into it. :(

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 12:43 am

androbot01 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

That's all you can do.
In the last few years since my diagnosis I have slowly become aware of my limitations. But also more attuned to my strengths. If I didn't have autism I think I would be a successful person, but I do, so I have to struggle. I can't not be autistic and because of that I am unable to enjoy the company of other people. My sensory perception is not going to calm down and I will always be about 15 minutes behind as far as ToM goes. The diagnosis has allowed me to stop being angry with myself for these things, but they are still there. And they still frustrate me.

I'm 45 too, I'm going be 46 in August, it really feel like the older I get, the more my aspergers makes everything much harder for me, I read that aspergers can make you worse as you get older or make you better. I also slow down in life, I also have cerebral palsy. Aspergers people are high in intelligence & lacking of other things that what I read, but I can have a really hard time understanding.

zeertheseer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2016, 1:17 am

Belushi87 wrote:
i know the feeling. when i was in high school, it seemed like i was more independent, but since i was diagnosed in 2011, it seems like there's pressure on me to be independent. people are looking over my shoulder telling me to do this or to do that.

I actually have the exact opposite problem... my Parents go out of their way to make me dependent on them. they refuse to help with anything that requires independence, which is fine. but will actually a lot of the time fight it. they want me to live with them as long as possible... and they get upset at the very IDEA of me moving out on my own. I seriously almost gave my mom a heart attack when I told her I wanted to get my own apartment.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 3:21 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Do you think something like this would help?

Life task flowchart (scroll down)

I used to use a day planner when I was taking classes and got too stressed out to focus. Then I saw this chart and was like, where has this been all my life? I mean, we used to use flowcharts at work for projects, but I never thought about using it for my life.

I sometimes use this app called planner guide http://www.theplannerguide.com/. It's I think $30 but it has flowchart type charts in it and it's really helpful. You can use it on your computer or phone and you can add your own lists to it too.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult