Does anyone else have short-term memory problems?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JurgenW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2016, 7:45 am

Pepole find it odd that I can remember particular lines of what they said, word for word, in a casual conversation years ago, so they apparently do not remember such.

On the other hand, I have very bad memory of recent stuff, and I have forgotten most of the older stuff too.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 8:38 am

Yeah, I have short term memory issues, generally in the range of 5 minutes - 1 hour prior. I've got an excellent long term memory though, probably in the top 5%, so it all equals out in a sense I guess.

Melle wrote:
I wait tables and I memorize all my orders. I have color coded symbols that I memorize that correspond with the menu. However, I can have trouble remembering what I ate for breakfast or if I get distracted I can forget what it was I was in the middle of.

Damn, waiting tables sounds like a nightmare for an autistic. Kudos to you for surviving that work environment.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 4:45 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Short term memory or working memory? My working memory is pretty bad, but has actually gotten better with antipsychotic meds (which is the main reason I keep taking them). It is an executive function thing.

Working memory helps consolidate short term memory, but the two are distinct processes that occur in different regions of the brain.

Now that you mention it, both. About seven years ago I had a neuropsycohmetric evaluation, and one of the things it showed was that the discrepancy between my verbal IQ and my working memory on verbal tasks occurs in only 0.9% of the population.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

02 Jul 2016, 5:39 pm

Yes, my short term aswell as my working memory are both pretty bad. My long term is pretty good, but i figure it could be even better if i hadnt started smoking weed way too early. My oldest memory dates back to about 2 yrs old (I only know because i talked about that memory to my mom once and explained to her how the room was arranged and she said they changed that shortly after my 2nd birthday) and i have plenty of memorys from kindergarten days. I also have alot missing that i used to remember about my early childhood, but that feels more like a "memory blackout" similiar to PTSD (even could be a milder form of PTSD, i dont really know) because of my violent & abusive father...

Peace
TK

JanusOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2016, 5:53 pm

greetings all,

my short terms memory, well lets just say i don't have one! i have memories of being 1 and a half, and can remember things in great detail from 40 years ago. yesterday, no clue. i think with me is that i am so inward and self absorbed with my own moment by moment life that i do not pay attention to anything other then myself.

with peace,

JanusOne, :D

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 8:25 am

I'm OK now, but I used to struggle with that extensively as a kid. To the point where I'd forget what I wanted to say within a few minutes. Kids made fun of me for that mercilessly. Funny story, actually. I remember I was at the dentist's, and she asked me if I was having any problems. Silly me took that literally, not realizing she meant my teeth. So I told her I had a "mild form of Alzheimer's". (Shortly before that appointment, I learned that short-term memory problems are of the Alzheimer's symptoms, and decided that I might have it, genuinely hoping she'd prescribe me something for it.)

My fear is that my short-term memory problems may resurface when I'm old. That, and the other usual AS issues.

cloudyday
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2016, 2:59 pm

I was dxd with AS and also with a memory problem that means I can't pin things down to a particular day and also I have a very poor memory for numbers and for relating any two schemes of information; two lists, etc, whilst two rooms just seem to get further and further apart.

Anyway, I made a sort of pen-pouch to hang around my neck in which I also keep a few notes. I also try to eat foods that contain a lot of Vitamin B1 (Thiamin). Foods like almonds, peanuts, contain a lot of Thiamin and I try to eat one of these foods every day. Thiamin does not improve memory, instead it helps to reduce mental anguish and mental confusion.

Even with my diet and my handy notes I have found it very hard not to lose hope sometimes, because so many of my
projects have failed. Art and visual work worked out well. Woodwork has been crazy at times because I cannot remember measurements.

What I have found most useful, but which came a little late in my life (since I have struggled with AS and memory fade-outs for more than 50 years) is a commercial whiteboard in a key place in the home. I found mine second-hand, or used, from a warehouse that clears old offices. I would say a large whiteboard is the best asset I have in my daily struggle with memory loss. The small whiteboards are ok but I have found the large ones work better.

- Cloudyday.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 4:04 pm

Yeah, someone will tell me something and then I'll immediately forget it. >.<

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

Yes. It's one of my weakest trait along with weak verbal learning which made it worse on several occasions. :lol: Lack of filters didn't help.

Though I compensate with the courage to repeat with a question, or deduction. Rare times with a written list. Except, I'm not exactly being patient with myself on this...

Soon, I'll find a way to remedy this for myself. :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 9:22 pm

I seem to be having these problems a lot more lately. I don't know the cause.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 9:46 pm

Oh yes, very bad and almost all my life, i remember watching finding nemo when i was little and thinking that dory was just like me, and people would call me dory.

When my psychologist was preforming my IQ test he said right in the middle of testing " im realizing now that your asking me to repeat almost all the questions." And i said "yeah i always had that issue, its short term memory loss right?" And he said " well no, its short term information processing, when something is said or seen too quickly it doesn't get processed in your brain, and then you forget it." Which makes SO much sense.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 10:35 pm

I'm usually OK if I'm calm, though it's hard to know because I have no standard to compare it with. If I do seem to have forgotten a thing, it very often comes back if I give it a few seconds, which proves the memory hasn't really vanished. I did very well on an online test for working memory after a couple of goes to limber up, but I don't think that measures it properly.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 12:04 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I'm like the OP. Most people's earliest memory is at 7 and mine is at 2.5! 8O

But my shorterm memory is pretty awful.

Me too, Though I think it is closer to 3-5, Though Mine is at ~2 Y. 11 M. 1 D.. I can remember seemingly random bits of information. I know that Me and Aristophanes About how we share this ability or like how I can remember all the primes up to 1000 easily, Though I can't make myself Breakfast. I know how you feel.. Though this gift can also be a curse. You Remember the good and the bad.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:18 am

I've had issues with certain jobs that require taking orders from customers. Some customers would list of the whole order at once and after getting the first 2 or 3 items, I'd have to ask them to repeat some of the rest of the order.

Also, depending on the situation, I have a strong preference for wanting reference material for certain common tasks. When I worked in a deli that included hot food, I asked why the cook times and temperatures were not listed. The manager seemed to think everyone should just memorize it. I guess my feeling was it was possible to remember incorrectly, so why not have an easy reference for such things.

asp159

04 Jul 2016, 8:36 pm

I fit the short term bad long term good thing too. My earliest memory was from when I was 2 or 3 in playgroup. I still remember us having a biscuit to eat every time and the toy cars that we used to ride around in. I even remember some of the room layouts, but honestly I thought this was normal. My friend who is really smart and tells me i'm stupid all the time can never remember things he told me in the past but I often remember exactly what he said. What I don't remember are names of anime characters which he seems to remember after seeing a show only once.