Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

paddy
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jul 2016, 11:51 am

Hi, I've not posted here in a while. I'm doing pretty well at the moment but one area I'm struggling is learning to drive or more specifically making progress ( I've been getting lessons for over a year now). Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice that could maybe help me learn faster?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 1:54 pm

There's no trick to it, just practice as much as you can.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:15 pm

It took me three years to get my license. Don't be afraid of failure. Each time you learn something new. I had such a hard time during the actual driving test that I failed it a few times. I was 19 when I finally was able to pass. Just remember to keep your distance when behind other cars. It's saved my skin a few times!

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2016, 6:48 pm

paddy wrote:
any advice that could maybe help me learn faster?
Have more frequent lessons

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:10 pm

I had 70 lessons around 1992-1993. No results.

I had to drive somewhere by necessity. At first, I just followed the other cars.

I immediately obtained the control of the vehicle which I didn't have previously--BECAUSE I WAS FORCED TO.

This was the only thing which propelled me into passing the road test in 1998.

Do this only with a licensed driver with you.

In effect, you have to practice quite a bit when you're not actually having lessons.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

agreed. It's only learned through repetition. There are a number of factors to learn beyond the operation of your own vehicle. Only time can teach you those things.

I was an absolutely terrible, dangerous driver when I first got my license at 18. I got into an accident and hit two parked cars the first day I drove. I got in at least a dozen collisions with my first vehicle, though none were really serious.

I totalled my second car in an accident which was in large part my fault through inexperience.

It took me until I had a car and had to do a lot of highway commuting that I learned to drive.

And now I'm actually a really good driver.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 10:49 pm

I do not have a license and I never had anyone explain consistently to me how to drive a car however, I have drove illegally several times and can if go down the road without hitting most things. My old therapist told my mom most people with autism never learn to drive and she gave up trying to teach me very early on unfortunately. Maybe this is indeed a common issue for us. I still drive illegally if I have access to any cars but that drives my parents up the wall because of doing things the right way which never got me anywhere.

tldr version - I'd like to see some statistics about autistic drivers and don't drive without a license like me, in fact I'd avoid most of my endeavorers if I were any other reader.