Is the word "man" sexist or are feminists making things up?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 8:09 am

Language changes through time, it's inevitable.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 8:57 am

Drake wrote:
You are just wrong. Objectively wrong. Just look up the definition of man or mankind.

Show me where I said anything about the definition. We're not arguing definitions. :roll: Of course it refers to all humans.

Alliekit wrote:
Feminist here.

No its not sexist and is a stupid thing to complain about. It is the short form of humans. The context it is used in is almost never sexist and is rarely used to suggest male dominance. It is often used to talk about humans as a whole (and often in a dramatic way in documentaries).

It's just a word that has different meanings in different context. It's the English language we have the weird stuff.

I think the 'feminists' arguing about if its a sexist word are missing the true sex it issues that exist in the world.

Something does not need to have sexist intent to be sexist.

Really, I think I'd put this in a similar category to referring to black people as "coloreds"; it is archaic and unnecessary, and demeans a group of people. Is it as big a deal as that? I'd say not. But precisely because it's not a big deal, I can have some concern about it and have tons left over for issues that really matter.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:20 am

I don't understand what your issue is then.

If you're saying it could be used in a sexist way, sure it could. But so could any word. Human, someone could emphasise man. Gender neutral word could be used in a sarcastic way.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:24 am

It's really all a matter of perspective and how each person views the world differently.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2016, 10:13 am

Definitions are not objective. They are only more or less agreed upon. Words mean different things at different times to different people.

The meaning of "he" differs so much according to context that it sometimes means "she" and sometimes refers to an abstraction or inanimate object. Sometimes "no" means "yes," sometimes "right" means "wrong." Sometimes people say they believe or want something because of how absurd it would be if they really did. Sometimes every star in the night sky is a rotting corpse. Language is flexible like that.

"Man" is sometimes short for "humanity" when it is not pertinent to make a distinction between sexes. It seems more sexist to me to maintain that distinction, in contexts where its only presence is otherwise accidental, by insisting on 'inclusive' language. Inclusifying language reinforces the very divisions it pretends to appease, sometimes with noticeably awkward revisions of ordinary language, and by exaggerating the reality of the distinction to be acknowledged and subdued, as more than a matter of convenience.

It reminds me of how hikers with dogs often pick up their dog's waste, bag it, then throw the bright plastic bag of poop on the side of the trail thereby both preserving and accentuating an otherwise inconspicuous accidentally misplaced turd. The ideal citizen, legend has it, carries the bag with him for the next several miles until he finds a waste bin. I say "he" because only men should have dogs... or is it because I'd rather not insult your intelligence by assuming you can't tell from the context when gender pronouns are interchangeable, accidental, or irrelevant?

"Something does not need to have sexist intent to be sexist," is a good example of how a thing to be a thing to you (object, situation, or event), and how it is to you, depends on its being conceived and designated as such. I would say, "Something does not need to be said or done with 'sexist intent' in order to be considered sexist by someone." I recall how some people, when I say, "Good morning," respond with, "What's so good about it?" as if by wishing them a good morning I'm imposing on their freedom to decide for themselves what kind of a day they should have. If I were to say, "Be as you are, do as you will," it's not hard to imagine the reply, "Don't tell me what to do!"

Last edited by wornlight on 05 Jul 2016, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 10:41 am

The issue is that "man" does double duty, and can mean either "both genders", or "just the male gender".

So in theory we could invent a new word for just the male half of the adult population. And do that by finding a suffix equivalent to "womb" to tack onto "man". Call all males "X-men" say. So it would it would be X-men and women. Then "man" would be freed from double duty to mean only "any person of either gender". So that would eliminate the issue of "man" being "sexist".

But whether or not its actually worth it, and feasible to change the language that way just to solve that little alledged "problem" is an open question.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 10:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The issue is that "man" does double duty, and can mean either "both genders", or "just the male gender".

So in theory we could invent a new word for just the male half of the adult population. And do that by finding a suffix equivalent to "womb" to tack onto "man". Call all males "X-men" say. So it would it would be X-men and women. Then "man" would be freed from double duty to mean only "any person of either gender". So that would eliminate the issue of "man" being "sexist".

But whether or not its actually worth it, and feasible to change the language that way just to solve that little alledged "problem" is an open question.

But x men sound really cool haha

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Jul 2016, 10:47 am

feminism is over with if this is what it comes down to

this is the stuff they get made fun of for

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 12:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
So in theory we could invent a new word for just the male half of the adult population.

How about testimen?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 12:36 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
So in theory we could invent a new word for just the male half of the adult population.

How about testimen?

Hahahha that's is brilliant XD

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

How about testimen?

Well. Yeah. That would work. :)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
It's more of a case that the English language doesn't really have a gender-neutral pronoun.

"Man" used to be gender-neutral, with "wifman" meaning "adult female person", and some variant of "werman/wereman/weptman) meaning "adult male person". These roots live in in the words "wife" for the female variety, and in the words "virility" and "werewolf"for the male.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 6:16 pm

Some feminists use the word 'womyn' to change the word man in woman.

Anyway, some find everything is sexist no matter what, even the air that they breath.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Some feminists use the word 'womyn' to change the word man in woman.

there is a prominent portion of "womyn" who are extremely anti-transwomen being considered "women" so obviously they're f*****g insane haha

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 7:37 pm

I had more to say, but others already did it. This is an interesting and unexpectedly civil thread. Pleased to see that, but I don't have anything more to add, now. :lol:

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 8:06 pm

slave wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
As a woman, this has puzzled me more than it has actually pissed me off.

On one side, I can understand why some feminists argue that using the word "man" to refer to humanity being sexist, as it suggests the over-gloryfication of the male gender...

...But on the other hand, "man" is used to refer to both sexes and is a short word to refer to humanity. (at least that's what I found out when I googled "man definition")

To be honest I am terribly confused by this petty conflict between feminists and what they call "sexist". :shrug:

Just what is it that is both right and wrong about feminists? :roll:

All words and their definitions are purely arbitrary.

The debate easily devolves into semantic distraction.

The real issue is and always will be....POWER. :!:

Males, in general, have more of it and intend to keep it that way.

Females see this obvious inequity and want more power than they have....having power is great....feeling powerless sucks sh*t......and so the fight is on.

Are you seriously suggesting that gender equality is impossible? :roll:

-Thomas Jefferson