Trump tweets Star of David in front of pile of cash

Page 5 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 11:55 pm

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Opposition to civil rights, whether it's on constitutional grounds or out of racism, is wrong

It depends on how one defines civil rights. You think you have a "civil right" to take people's property, boss them around, and jail or kill them if they resist. I don't agree.

Quote:
- too bad he put political ideology ahead of what he knew to be right and wrong.

There's your problem right there. You think everybody secretly shares your sense of right and wrong, on every issue, but some people consciously choose to do wrong, because … I don't know, Fox News or the Koch brothers or something. In your mind, all those conservatives, libertarians, constitutionalists, Objectivists, and what have you are running around secretly thinking, "I know this is evil, but evil is fun! Bwahahahaaa!" Well … you're mistaken.

Quote:
And the fact remains, John Birchers and other right wing fanatics favored Goldwater.

So you've gone from antisemites, to racists, to a kooky group that didn't really stand for anything. Focus ain't your strong point … Politics makes for strange bedfellows, and a politician can't be held responsible for everybody who supports him. I don't blame Democratic presidents for the fact that they usually get the endorsement of various communists and leftist nutjobs. Are you willing to embrace everybody who's endorsed Obama?

Barry Goldwater was a decent, principled man, who managed to hang on to those principles through decades in politics. I didn't agree with him on everything, and as he admitted, he had a habit of saying things better left unsaid. Still, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

The Birchers were and are in fact a conspiracy oriented, racist and Antisemitic group.
And who says civil rights is ever about stealing from people, or jailing them? It's all about providing the same rights to one group of people that all the others have, which Goldwater had opposed.
And yes, I am right: denying someone else their rights is indefensible. How am I possibly wrong about that?