Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm

I think we can all agree that people on the spectrum tend to have intense interests, and are more focused on understanding things logically than neurotypicals, now do you feel comfortable with me describing this as a 'coping mechanism' because we can't acquire thoughts and actions fluently from others, our brains didn't evolve according to the 'standard model', so we work this way to compensate for our deficit.

How do you feel if I describe autism as a 'deficiency' of genetic information, a lack of certain genes and probably a lack of certain substances within the brain, thats what I understand it to be according to the last TED lecture I watched any way.

If you don't feel comfortable with such terms to describe the neurological condition, then can you offer an alternative preferably one that is not cliched.

Now I think its also necessary to say I have a pathological tendency to say things that offend people so if that is how you feel after reading this then please understand its not intentional.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm

I think special interests have to do with reduced brain flexibility and pattern detection.
This passage describes special interests pretty well:

Quote:
1.The apparently ‘restricted’ aspects of restricted interests are at least partly related to pattern detection, in that there are positive emotions in the presence of material presenting a high level of internal structure, and a seeking out of material related in form and structure to what has already been encountered and memorized. Limitation of generalization may also be explained by the constraints inherent in the role of similarity in pattern detection, which would prevent an extension of isomorphisms to classes of elements that are excessively dissimilar to those composing the initial form. In any case, there is no reason why autistic perceptual experts would be any less firm, diligent or enthusiastic in their specific preferences for materials and domains than their non-autistic expert counterparts. However, it must also be acknowledged that the information autistics require in order to choose and generalize any given interest is likely to be atypical in many respects (in that this may not be the information that non-autistics would require), and may not be freely or at all available. In addition, the atypical ways in which autistics and savants learn well have attracted little interest and are as yet poorly studied and understood, such that we remain ignorant as to the best ways in which to teach these individuals (Dawson et al.

I've never heard of autism described as a deficiency of genetic information. Most of the genes found that contribute to autism are linked to the mTOR pathway witch inhibits autophagy, a process involved in pruning synapses in the brain.
EXCESS SYNAPSES IN AUTISTIC BRAINS

I don't think being logical is a coping mechanism. It probably has to do with the fact that autistic brains produce more information in the resting state. (probably has something to due with excess synapses)
AUTISTIC BRAINS GENERATE MORE INFORMATION AT REST

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2016, 1:41 am

Thanks for that, I really want to get a handle on my condition and your information goes a long way into helping fill that gap.

I feel like there's a lot of stuff in my head, other people don't have this stuff, things that I care about other people don't care about. Its hard to communicate with people, to really engage them. Because there's an uncertainty about what other people value and whats appropriate to say to them.

Perhaps its because my pruning system isn't working as normal.

barbbiggs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2024, 7:24 am

Hi Dennis,

Are you Carol's son? Your the same age as Dan and living china so hope so.

I've stumbled upon your posts and have been reading them. Interesting!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2024, 1:01 pm

Dennis Prichard last visited Wrong Planet on 08 Jul 2016 so he may not be aware of your question.