Do you think a fifth dimension to reality exists?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 7:06 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The extra dimensions are strongly suggested by quantum maths. All other speculations aside, whether or not we can access and exploit them on our macro scale is the real issue. There is currently no real practical value to these extra dimensions, since we cannot detect them, and if the absence of a thing is indistinguishable from the presence of a thing, then then thing may as well not exist at all.

What about "quantum computing"?

Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.

I know this was posted a while ago but I'd just like to point out that quantum computing is in no way tied to quantum physics aside from the concept of superimposed states. Physics is the study of the physical universe, computing is the manipulation of data (a non-physical entity), just because they share quantum in the name in no way implies that are even remotely related to each other. Quantum computing will no more help us find alternate dimensions than the TV series Quantum Leap did-- we need a mathematical framework to describe an alternate dimension before we could even start putting data into the quantum computer to manipulate, meaning humans will have to figure it out before the computer can prove it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:56 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The extra dimensions are strongly suggested by quantum maths. All other speculations aside, whether or not we can access and exploit them on our macro scale is the real issue. There is currently no real practical value to these extra dimensions, since we cannot detect them, and if the absence of a thing is indistinguishable from the presence of a thing, then then thing may as well not exist at all.

What about "quantum computing"?

Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.

I know this was posted a while ago but I'd just like to point out that quantum computing is in no way tied to quantum physics aside from the concept of superimposed states. Physics is the study of the physical universe, computing is the manipulation of data (a non-physical entity), just because they share quantum in the name in no way implies that are even remotely related to each other. Quantum computing will no more help us find alternate dimensions than the TV series Quantum Leap did-- we need a mathematical framework to describe an alternate dimension before we could even start putting data into the quantum computer to manipulate, meaning humans will have to figure it out before the computer can prove it.

Thanks for resurrecting this topic.

However, do you know why a qubit is theoretical, exponentially faster ? Easy, right, it takes advantage of quantum effects. Specifically, the capability for something to be true and false at the same time. A qubit can be both 1 and 0 at the same time.

Math breaks down here, because math postulates are premised that something is either true or false, not both at the same time.

This is the "5th dimension".

As the theoretical physics professor explicitly said in the Ted Talk video I cited earlier, in the next few years physics experimenters will be running collider experiments to test for additional dimensions to our reality.

This is where it gets scary.

We could be living in a simulation.

Here is the earlier video regarding extra dimensions to reality:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:07 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Or a simulation inside a simulation. I've heard the theory before, and it's an extension of one of my scientific beliefs: the universe is deterministic. That said, I can't concur because there's currently no proof-- for the simulation theory, and for my "belief" the universe is deterministic (even though it has logic built into it, logic alone is not evidence).

But it does raise an interesting question: if true, what is the purpose of the simulation?

edit: word changed from world to universe for accuracy.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 4:45 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

But it does raise an interesting question: if true, what is the purpose of the simulation?

First, without mentioning spoilers, if this topic interests you, you should see the sci-fi movie, "The thirteenth floor".

Aristophanes wrote:
That said, I can't concur because there's currently no proof-- for the simulation theory, and for my "belief" the universe is deterministic (even though it has logic built into it, logic alone is not evidence).

Second, sure it's just an idea that gets us thinking.

Aristophanes wrote:
That said, I can't concur because there's currently no proof-- for the simulation theory, and for my "belief" the universe is deterministic (even though it has logic built into it, logic alone is not evidence).

Third, I also believe that matter functions deterministically too.

One deterministic-believers response to 'quantum indeterminacy' ("the 5th dimension") is ....

"The research establishes that there is logio-mathematical information within quantum theory, that precisely encodes and represents quantum indeterminacy".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_indeterminacy

Thus, quantum indeterminacy is "all part of how matter functions deterministically" (assuming I understand their research).

Keep responding if you like to talk about this ... :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars

Sorry, I could not resist,
Let the sunshine in

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman