Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 7:06 am

I understood them after we were introduced to "Similes" andv"Metaphors' in primary school English.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 7:17 am

Country's (and religion to) have in my view a bad influence to the planet earth.
But in this post i use the map of a country as a metaphor for a autistic society.
The word autism comes from the greek language. And the map of Greece is for me the metaphor.
The map of Greece showes many islands, many different provinces, and in the many islands and provinces i see autistic minds. Every island-mind is living on his own, they see each other in a far distance, but there autonomie dont disapeare. The water around the islands i see the space of free-thinking. But all the individuals togethere makes the total map, that total map is made by free thinkers. I dont like nation borders and real walls, but in this metaphor it shows my ideal world.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2019, 5:28 am

A Cavity Wall

In a metaphoric way i should like it to live in a cavity wall , nobody can see me, and i see nobody else, nobody can touch me, and i cant touch somebody else, nobody can hear me, and i cant walk in somebodys line, and others cant walk in my line. I worked for some months in a prison, in fact i did like it very much to be isolated. In a reality way i dont like it to live in a cavity wall.
To little space for my computer, although i am not extreme fat my body is to bigg to live inside that wall.

In the song "i am a rock" from Simon & garfunkel they sing about living isolated.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 8:20 am

Cola & Water

For me personal een good metaphor who shows a autistic brain and a neurotypical brain.
The can Coke is a autistic brain, and the can of water is the neurotypical brain. In my left hand the Coke and in the right hand the water. And than 10 second roughly shaking the both cans. The can of water shall have not much reaction of the shaking, but the can of Coke shows in my view several metoforical things for autisme, anyway my brain.
1. From outside you dont see the pressure in the can of Coke, but there is a lot of pressure, just with auitism.
2. The Coke shall needs much more time than to loose the pressure than the can of water after the shaking, the time to recover need more time, just with autism.
3. After shortly open the can of Coke after shaking you have the risk on explosive reaction, a reaction that some people dont like, just with autism.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 3:54 am

A orchestra without a conductor.

In my view thats a metaphor for the the autistic brain. Each section of the orchestra is like each section of the brain.
Each section of the orchestra/brain can play good solo, but playing together of the different sections is diffecult because there is no conductor. Is this orchestra/brain good or bad :?: I think that the solo players of the orchestra/brain can play better solo than the different section of a orchestra with a conductor. I addmit that its generalistic, but on the other hand the metaphor not 100% crap in my view. The famous savant Kim Peek did have it in a extreme way, because his left and right side of his brain that have very little connections to play together.

Muia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2019, 7:58 am

I understand and use metaphors when I’m trying to describe my feelings or a situation. Helps me because I have a very visual memory. Like someone said earlier in this post, I sometimes struggle with normal words to describe things.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

RAADS-R SCORE: 148

AQ score: 39

EQ score: 20

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 7:12 am

Erewhon wrote:
I see a Pinball-Machine as a metaphor for my brain, and also a metaphor for the universe.
For those who understand the dutch language more explanation why i see it.

Een Flipperkast

Met wat mentale lenigheid zie ik in een flipperkast een treffende metafoor voor het universum, en als ik sterk inzoom is het ook een metafoor hoe mijn brein zichzelf ervaart. In de metafoor van het universum zie ik die stalen speelbal als mijn brein-geest. Het begint al met het inbrengen van die speelbal in het spel. Via de hendel die normaliter rechterkant zit word/werd ik in de dimensie van het universum-ruimte in geknald, ik had werkelijk helemaal niets in te brengen of ik nu wilde of niet om als wezentje met wat bewustzijn gelanceerd werd om vervolgens tot speelbal van alle andere elementen te fungeren. Mijn lancering moest ik ondergaan, en die gigantische decibels bij iedere keer dat ik op iets bots in het universum moet ik me ook laten welgevallen, en vergeet die lichtflitsen niet, het hele kleurenspectrum flitst me met een giga rotgang om de oren. Het lijkt in die flipperkast-universum wel een Tilburgse kermis. De naam zegt het eigenlijk al, FLIPperkast, het flippen in de flipperkast ben ik erg goed in. Er zit enige vorm van autonomie in de speelbal, die autonomie bevind zich overigens in het onderbewust van de speelbal. Dat beetje autonomie stelt me in staat om me schrap te zetten en de grootste klappen in het universum-flipperkast op te vangen.
De momenten dat ik door de flipperkast rol zonder te botsen of in bedwang gehouden te worden door andere wezentjes-elementen van het universum voel ik me het prettigste. Dat zijn de momenten dat ik er het boek van de Master Charles Darwin even ter hand neem en wat zicht denk te krijgen hoe de dingen in elkaar steken, een soort van recuperen annex anticiperen op de dingen die sooner or later onherroepelijk komen gaan.

Extra Ball ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Soms lopen de dingen in de flipperkast dusdanig dat er een extra ball word gelanceerd met die zelfde hendel waar ik mee ben geboren. Als dwaas die niet in staat is om te multitasken word het nog een trapje lastiger voor mijn bewustzijn om de controlefreak uit te hangen. Er bevinden zich stalen ballen in het universum die het prettig vinden om een soortgenoot tegen te komen, ze voelen zich zo krachtig tot elkaar aan gestrokken dat het magnetisch veld in het universum bij wijze van spreken van slag gaat. De speelbal die ik ben in het universum heeft toch het liefst een LAT-relatie met alle andere ballen die mogelijk tot ontwikkeling kunnen komen, een stalen bal zonder magnetische aantrekkingskracht, althans niet dermate krachtig dat ik me niet meer van die andere speelbal kan bevrijden-onttrekken. Niets is voor de eeuwigheid, ook het leven van een speelbal in het universum-flipperkast niet. Soms vind ik dit toekomstbeeld bedreigend, maar soms geeft het me ook wel rust, dat het bespelen van mij ooit voorbij is. Momenteel vind ik het alles bij mekaar best wel prettig toeven in de flipperkast, ik voel me als een S-Z-V (Speelbal-Zonder-Verplichten). Het dogma-vrije bestaan wat ik de laatste jaren ervaar voelt prettig, de laatste jaren voelen als een soort van bonus-extra punten die een speelbal-speler soms krijgt in een flipperkast.

TILT ! ! ! ! ! ! !
De dochter van Tita-Tovenaar deed wel eens ooit met haar vingers knippen, met de woorden: "Dan doe ik dit en alles staat stil" In een flipperkast komt het ook voor dat van het ene op het andere moment de dingen stil staan, dit heet dan Op-tilt-slaan. Dit op tilt slaan van de metaforische flipperkast heeft altijd een oorzaak, op zich wel logisch, want het hele universum-flipperkast is ontstaan door oorzaak-gevolg etc. Deze oorzaak kan heftige turbulentie zijn, een aardbeving van het de kast, maar ook oncontroleerbare epileptische activiteit in de stalen speelbal. In dat geval heeft het op tilt slaan tekenen van een psychose. Gelukkig ervaar ik die vorm van op tilt slaan erg weinig de laatste jaren in de flipperkast. Het op tilt slaan kan ook het einde der tijden inluiden voor de speelbal, althans voor het bewustzijn van die speelbal. In dat geval rolt de speelbal heel gewillig naar beneden in het flipperkast en bevind zich in een ruimte waar het tijdens het ontstaan van die speelbal ooit begonnen is.

In dat geval luid het credo van de flipperkast: "Game-Over :) "

The thread is about whether or not autistics understand metaphors. Not "what is a good metaphor for autism".

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 7:51 am

OP... the first sentence of the quotation is a simile rather than a metaphor. It provides a key by which the following metaphors are unlocked.
Most of the "metaphors" used above to explain autism are actually analogies.

Metaphors are quite simple, they consist of a tenet and vehicle. The tenet is the idea you wish to convey and the vehicle is the way you convey it.

A simile: the gap is as wide as the Grand Canyon. As xxx as a xxx... or like a xxx
A metaphor: a yawning gap. The tenet... a wide gap, the vehicle... image of yawning.

If I had difficulty understanding metaphors I would have had trouble getting a degree in English literature.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm

In a metaphoric way the drawing below shows my house. A bit like Paul Simon his song "Boy in the bubble" from his Graceland album. And no, I am not King Willem Alexander or Queen Máxima Zorreguieta, my glass house is different. The glass walls of my house are also not clear. In terms of feeling, that glass is made of rather fragile, fragile and thin paintings of glass, no more than 2 millimeters thick. In terms of ratio, the glass of my house has sprouted from other rocks. In terms of ratio, the glass walls look more like hardened Thermopane glazing. Wherever possible plaster on the inside of my glass house with a mirror foil, that is a foil through which I can look outside, but where you cannot look inside from outside. There are no doors or hinged windows in my glass house. If the coast is safe then I push the cork of my glass house to shift my horizon. Once I have found that horizon, I retreat back to my glass house, put the cork back on it, and then enjoy the horizon view that has nestled in my memory. Although I am not so fond of soldiers, and certainly not the imperialist soldiers who created the internet, I am grateful to them that they designed the internet. The glass walls of my house allow the WiFi signal to flawlessly, via that WiFi signal I can even shift my horizon without leaving my glass house. The roof of my house is also made of glass, so I can enjoy the beautiful stars in the evening and at night. With hotly baked characters around my glass house, the temperature also rises metaphorically in my house. "I am not there" I answer when they knock on the door, or a sign with "Don’t disturb" sometimes helps.
Are you ultimately free in a single-person glass house or are you not free in a single-person glass house?
Someone from Danzig who listened to the name Arthur Schopenhauer had a grasped answer to this by quoting what is in his name: “One can only be wholly oneself as long as one is alone; whoever does not like loneliness, therefore, does not like freedom, for only when one is alone are one free "
Who actually built my metaphorical glass house? Am I the architect and construction worker who built that glass shed, or are there also unwanted subcontractors who unintentionally and unintentionally shaped the foundation and walls? Or is it a kind of partnership? All of them ask where my glass house is ideal for brainstorming in a self-centered way.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 5:01 am

"Cars are Cars"

A song about cars, but the cars in the song are not cars. The cars in the song are a metafoor.
A song from good old Paul Simon. All cars have in common that they are cars, at the same time every car is different. When the difference of the cars goes to the indiviual car i like the difference, but when the difference goes to "groups", i hate that kind of difference. Groups dominate the indivual. A world with more than 7 billion different cars i love :heart: .

A world where every single car is a "special edition"

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2019, 12:03 pm

Volcano eruption as metaphor for my Consciousness

Eruptions here, eruptions there, eruptions everywhere.
Some weeks ago is saw a active volcano in New Zealand. Hey, but that's my skull content, I thought to myself.
Those outbursts are a striking metaphor for my consciousness. An iceberg is sometimes used as a metaphor for subconsciousness & consciousness, but a volcanic eruption is a much more powerful metaphor for consciousness.
That cloud of ash in the sky and the lava flows that flow down the volcano slopes are 'I'.
A volcano eruption can only occur by the grace of activity within the volcano.
Who makes that ash and the lava flows in an eruption, that is the inner mechanism of a volcano. My volcano has a temperature of about 37 ℃ and the volcanoes in the earth's crust are many times warmer. So there are differences, but for me it's about the mechanism, the metaphor. A sleeping volcano has no activity, or at least no visible activity on the outside, that seems to me the case for my skull content when I sleep. Seen from the metaphorical exterior, I am dead when I sleep, but it still bubbles inside. The bubbling inside does not make any holes in the mantle during a sleeping head / volcano and becomes aware that it is bubbling. I also taste that the consciousness has no free will in a volcanic eruption. The molten lava after the eruption on the volcano slopes forms the mantle for the volcano, but the glowingly active part of the volcano (the subconscious mind) is in turn the creator of new consciousness, and not that solidified lava. A consciousness needs a subconscious mind, but a living subconscious mind can do without consciousness. The latter is not necessary but it is possible. I have experienced this twice, both my father and a cousin of mine have been in a coma, my father 2 days, and my cousin more than 1 week. Both my father and cousin afterwards knew nothing about that time frame. They were unaware of time, unaware of pain, unaware of the space where they were. At that time my cousin had times when his eyes were open, but even with eyes open, those eyes were not a sense of being aware. Does not seem to be the case with every coma.
To dive into religion and Uri Geller for a moment, you could say that during that coma that you know nothing of remembering that there is consciousness at the time, but that which you are aware is not being stored in memory. This is possible, but this non-scientific approach seems purely hypothetical to me.

The lava and the ashes have made their way out of my skull, there is still some rumbling in the crater. It is a small pilot flame that is still burning, waiting for the new eruption.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2019, 10:18 pm

ntsh

Last edited by Blue_Star on 28 Dec 2019, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2019, 12:08 am

Metaphors are too abstract for me. People always have to explain them to me.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2019, 6:52 am

I personally love metaphors and abstract language. A lot of people higher up on the spectrum are definitely capable. I think people on the spectrum are capable of understanding them, but language processing/what understands differs across the board.

When I was younger, I had a little more trouble with metaphors but I learned to use and incorporate them.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2019, 8:13 am

In my case...

Main Input: Mostly Literal and Concrete. Though alright with most metaphors.
Main Output: Partially Metamorphical and Abstract. Because concrete terms just doesn't feel enough or just lacking.

And it's already confusing to start with because language isn't my strongest suit.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:21 am

The difference between consciousness and subconsciousness, metaphorically depicted through a piece of embroidery.