Licensed to carry black man shot by police

Page 7 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,236

12 Jul 2016, 1:48 am

Dillogic wrote:
I question that say, a white person that's always around white people, will have innate biases when exposed to a different culture [or class]--language barriers are the biggest problem, and if everyone can speak the same language, it shouldn't be a problem at all.


The evidence suggests (unfortunately) that they do
http://kdvr.com/2014/12/11/study-if-you ... t-control/

The basic algorithm is the less exposure you have to other cultures the more uncomfortable you are with dark skin...it's out of your control.



Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,951
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

12 Jul 2016, 6:06 am

beneficii wrote:
I rarely, if ever, come across "subconscious bias", but whatever.

IMO, one of the reasons for this, is because the internet is MURDERING the English language! One idiot uses the wrong word for something, then another idiot, without thinking what they're doing, copies it, then another, then another, until it becomes widely accepted. When I was in school, for instance, we were taught that "alot" and "thankyou" were each written, as ONE word. People changing each of them into TWO words, is illogical, IMO. If people like to question so much, why don't they question THAT? No other country, IMO, slaughters the English language, like Americans.

Campin_Cat wrote:
One could argue that there IS no proof----only our conclusions. I'm guessing that for every study, there's a counter-study----and, every study can be skewed in favor of whomever's paying for it. IMO, the best we can do, maybe, is to read everything we can get our hands on, from BOTH sides of an argument, and take the best 3 outta 5, or something.

Yeah, there are people who say there is "no proof" of evolution, "no proof" of climate change, "no proof" of anything. They say we can't know anything about anything, so we might as well treat everybody's point as just as valid as any other, no matter how how made-up it is.

Sorry. I'm not buying it.

You're not buying it, because you don't WANT to----you want ONE answer----everything tied-up in a nice, neat little package!! Life isn't always like that. As difficult as it is for us Aspies to accept (I've been guilty of the exact same thing), there just isn't a black-and-white answer, sometimes. We want an answer because that settles it, for us----closes the case----and we can go-on to think / study another matter.

"Made-up" is subjective. What's construed as "made-up", by ONE, is NOT construed as "made-up", by another. I get that that sucks----but, that's just the way it is, so we might-as-well just accept it, and get-on with ourselves.




beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,214

12 Jul 2016, 7:19 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
You're not buying it, because you don't WANT to----you want ONE answer----everything tied-up in a nice, neat little package!! Life isn't always like that. As difficult as it is for us Aspies to accept (I've been guilty of the exact same thing), there just isn't a black-and-white answer, sometimes. We want an answer because that settles it, for us----closes the case----and we can go-on to think / study another matter.


Here we go with the amateur psychoanalysis. Actually, what I'm talking about isn't simple, or cut-and-dried.

Quote:
"Made-up" is subjective. What's construed as "made-up", by ONE, is NOT construed as "made-up", by another. I get that that sucks----but, that's just the way it is, so we might-as-well just accept it, and get-on with ourselves.


It is made up. If you need the link to the Snopes article again, here it is:

http://www.snopes.com/philando-castile- ... d-robbery/

Since you've taken it upon yourself to talk personally about your opponent, I will say that I've observed that you always try to justify these kinds of shootings with even the scantest of evidence. You constantly talk about how black youth don't show a respectful tone and manner and that is why they die and the police target them, and that is the way it should be. It looks to me like you need this to be true, you need it to be where there is no implicit racial bias, or anything like that, or you will be forced to reevaluate your views. You are trying to put off that reevaluation for as long as possible.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

12 Jul 2016, 7:42 am

beneficii wrote:
I rarely, if ever, come across "subconscious bias", but whatever.

I have bias.

1st: What someone looks like. Are they scary looking?

2nd: Random Blacks in the ghetto. When you go into the ghetto, it's like a zombie movie, and blacks are the zombies. They could attack you at any time. Survey, watch your back, don't break down.

3rd: The context. If the person lives in a ghetto or slums, then I think they're dangerous. What kind of person lives in such filth, such disrepair? What's wrong with that person I wonder.

4th: Groups of people. What're they doing there? Is this a gang? For example, I once saw about eight "skin head" white guys at a gas station. I got out of there quickly.



Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,951
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

12 Jul 2016, 8:30 am

beneficii wrote:
Since you've taken it upon yourself to talk personally about your opponent, I will say that I've observed that you always try to justify these kinds of shootings with even the scantest of evidence. You constantly talk about how black youth don't show a respectful tone and manner and that is why they die and the police target them, and that is the way it should be. It looks to me like you need this to be true, you need it to be where there is no implicit racial bias, or anything like that, or you will be forced to reevaluate your views. You are trying to put off that reevaluation for as long as possible.

Wow. LOLOLOL TOO funny!!



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 77
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,730
Location: On top of the world

12 Jul 2016, 8:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
I question that say, a white person that's always around white people, will have innate biases when exposed to a different culture [or class]--language barriers are the biggest problem, and if everyone can speak the same language, it shouldn't be a problem at all.


The evidence suggests (unfortunately) that they do
http://kdvr.com/2014/12/11/study-if-you ... t-control/

The basic algorithm is the less exposure you have to other cultures the more uncomfortable you are with dark skin...it's out of your control.


Is it totally out of your control, for EVERYONE?????....Really....I find this hard to believe.

But perhaps what you're really saying is, they follow regular statistical methods for processing their experimental data and come up with something like a regular bell-curve.....can you tell us if this is true???

The reason I mention this is, if you apply these results to your on-line casual conversation, but do not say there are variations within your results when you talk to people, you make it sound as though THEY typify what you find at the peak of your bell curve, when actually the person you're conversing with may be on any lower part of the curve....you couldn't know this without testing. Right?. And since Cat (or any other individual you speak with) for example may have much more inter-racial experience than most then she has less "implicit bias"; is this correct?

And then there are also statistical anomalies, that may be ignored in the overall picture, but exist for the individual.
More information please.



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 77
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,730
Location: On top of the world

12 Jul 2016, 8:51 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
There have been terrible things in my life I won't even share with my wife of 54 years. You'd think that might make me much more sensitive...but it hasn't...it takes work. But I'm working on it.

I find this very interesting----you're the second person, this week, to say that to me. I've told most people I've ever met about all the bad things that have happened in my life----my thinking was: "You have to know ALL of me, and if you're STILL accepting of me, we've got a chance". I guess I figured a relationship didn't stand a chance, unless I put all of my cards on the table.

Campin_Cat wrote:
Bottom line, for ME, is that you’ll never, in a million years, convince me that the way I feel / think about this subject, is wrong----and, you’ll never convince me that you’re right, so…..


Wellll...they say "never say never." When I was younger, before much of my life, I would have agreed with you 100%;

Ah, yes----when I was younger, before much of my life, I wouldn't have said it, cuz I KNEW better. I am OLDER, now----AFTER much of my life, and to borrow from Joni Mitchell, "I've looked at life from both sides now".

In the seventies, when you were working with / talking to those black men, and I was going to school with black kids, I SHARED your opinion of them. Now, that I'm LIVING / working with them, as an ADULT, I see things from a MUCH different perspective.

By THEN, my mother had gotten a good job, and had a car, and we had a TV----and, I often felt badly for people who couldn't have that. Also, when one has someone taking care of them, one sees things differently.

NOW, when I'm struggling, so, it's very difficult for me to feel sorry for someone who cries "poor-mouth", all-the-time, is on welfare, etc., but can go to the hair-dresser's anytime they want, drives a nice car, etc., etc.

Also, we're talking about 40 years ago (+/-)..... Your opinions seem NOT to have changed----my guess is, because your EXPERIENCES have not changed----MINE HAVE (opinions AND experiences). IMO, if my thinking of things hadn't broaden, I don't know if I'd've survived, "out here".

When one is thirty-ish, they react differently to people, and people react differently, to THEM, than when they're in their seventies----just as when one is in their teens, as *I* was. Also, it was a different time, in our country----different culture----the people we were relating-to, back THEN, are NOT the same people, today, EITHER.


For me, to think I will always think the same, frightens me a little.

Maybe because thinking the same, would mean you haven't grown / increased your knowledge, or whatever. I can understand that----I'm thinking it's quite common for ASDers, because we hunger, so, for knowledge. I can NEVER (there's that word, again, LOL) learn enough!!

I now actively question all of my long held beliefs, and find some need to be updated.....

That's WONDERFUL----IMO, very healthy!! When I was a kid, a person your age with that attitude was, seemingly, non-existent.

The privation you lived through when you were young was something I did not experience; for me the lack was mostly all social/emotional. It's not easy to be able to put yourself in someone's shoes as they grew up, and for me (and others) it's especially hard. I do much better with cold facts. I should have tried harder...I apologize for not treating you like a human being instead of a disembodied voice in a paragraph. Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa.

Actually, I experienced MORE years of privation, as an ADULT, than a child----that was partly the point of my post; and, why I'm on a mission, now!

I don't know that there ARE any "cold facts". I mean, for every fact, there's a counter-fact; for every research, there's a counter; for every study, there's a counter----the best one can do, maybe, is "best 3-outta-5", or something. Plus, I feel if we allow ourselves to get stuck in the mindset of "Just the facts, ma'am", we might miss a chance to grow. Aspies seem to want everything in a nice, neat little package, tied-up with a bow (I, certainly, have been guilty of this), but life can't always give us that----sometimes, if we're lucky enough to even GET a package, the wait for wrapping paper, seems to take forever; and THEN, we might have to wait ANOTHER millennium (not literal), for a BOW. (My theory is, people like us like to have control over the OUTSIDE [I've been like this, too], cuz we have no control, over the INSIDE; and, our insides are driving us crazy, so we've gotta have a reprieve, SOMEWHERE.)

I accept your apology!!

Take care,

Cat




Thanks very much Cat. :D

You said it's entirely possible I'm out of touch with changes in the black community, not having close association for many years.

At first I thought "Now wait a minute here..." but after I thought about it for a while I thought.."Is it possible for an entire group of people to change like this?"

You've said it's almost as though there is a "different culture" in Black neighborhoods. Supposedly poor people flashing signs of wealth and "hauteur" while you live the impoverished life.

As far as I know the government hasn't increased it's Welfare payments drastically (I could be wrong-tell me if I am please) so where does this money come from???? The only thing I can think of (overall not in the specific) is drug profit; would you concur? Do you see more evidence of drug use in your neighborhood that weren't evident many years ago??? Can you move?



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,199
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

12 Jul 2016, 2:10 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I rarely, if ever, come across "subconscious bias", but whatever.

I have bias.

1st: What someone looks like. Are they scary looking?

2nd: Random Blacks in the ghetto. When you go into the ghetto, it's like a zombie movie, and blacks are the zombies. They could attack you at any time. Survey, watch your back, don't break down.

3rd: The context. If the person lives in a ghetto or slums, then I think they're dangerous. What kind of person lives in such filth, such disrepair? What's wrong with that person I wonder.

4th: Groups of people. What're they doing there? Is this a gang? For example, I once saw about eight "skin head" white guys at a gas station. I got out of there quickly.


1st - Never judge a book by it's cover.
2nd - A tad bit dehumanizing, don't you think?
3rd - What's wrong with people that they live in the ghetto? Lack of money and means to live anywhere else.
4th - Sure, it's sound thinking to avoid people who are criminally inclined, whether they be skinheads or a street gang. But not all blacks belong to street gangs, anymore than most whites are skinheads.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

12 Jul 2016, 3:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I rarely, if ever, come across "subconscious bias", but whatever.

I have bias.

1st: What someone looks like. Are they scary looking?

2nd: Random Blacks in the ghetto. When you go into the ghetto, it's like a zombie movie, and blacks are the zombies. They could attack you at any time. Survey, watch your back, don't break down.

3rd: The context. If the person lives in a ghetto or slums, then I think they're dangerous. What kind of person lives in such filth, such disrepair? What's wrong with that person I wonder.

4th: Groups of people. What're they doing there? Is this a gang? For example, I once saw about eight "skin head" white guys at a gas station. I got out of there quickly.


1st - Never judge a book by it's cover.
2nd - A tad bit dehumanizing, don't you think?
3rd - What's wrong with people that they live in the ghetto? Lack of money and means to live anywhere else.
4th - Sure, it's sound thinking to avoid people who are criminally inclined, whether they be skinheads or a street gang. But not all blacks belong to street gangs, anymore than most whites are skinheads.


You remind me of the oblivious guy in horror movies, that reassures everyone "nothing to worry about", "monsters aren't real" .....

While everyone else can see the potential danger.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,199
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

12 Jul 2016, 4:06 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I rarely, if ever, come across "subconscious bias", but whatever.

I have bias.

1st: What someone looks like. Are they scary looking?

2nd: Random Blacks in the ghetto. When you go into the ghetto, it's like a zombie movie, and blacks are the zombies. They could attack you at any time. Survey, watch your back, don't break down.

3rd: The context. If the person lives in a ghetto or slums, then I think they're dangerous. What kind of person lives in such filth, such disrepair? What's wrong with that person I wonder.

4th: Groups of people. What're they doing there? Is this a gang? For example, I once saw about eight "skin head" white guys at a gas station. I got out of there quickly.


1st - Never judge a book by it's cover.
2nd - A tad bit dehumanizing, don't you think?
3rd - What's wrong with people that they live in the ghetto? Lack of money and means to live anywhere else.
4th - Sure, it's sound thinking to avoid people who are criminally inclined, whether they be skinheads or a street gang. But not all blacks belong to street gangs, anymore than most whites are skinheads.


You remind me of the oblivious guy in horror movies, that reassures everyone "nothing to worry about", "monsters aren't real" .....

While everyone else can see the potential danger.



It's said that the difference between the liberal and conservative brains is that conservatives are more likely to be fearful.
As for haunted houses - I grew up in a house I believe might have been, and I found the less fear you have, the less energy you give to whatever entity might be there. So the husband in the video was actually doing the right thing.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,770

12 Jul 2016, 7:59 pm

Social liberals seem to be pretty damn scared of inanimate objects and the people that own them. :P

Perhaps people should ask LoveNotHate where he/she lives/lived.

If you live in say, a high crime majority black area of Chicago as a white individual, you're going to be "racist" just by design. It's how the brain works when there's so many black people committing violent crimes. Pattern recognition.

Perhaps it's unfair, but it's a survival mechanism.

You're never going to experience this if you live in a nice area your whole life (whether black or white people, it doesn't matter if they're equally peaceful; the brain isn't going to see either as a threat in this context).



Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,951
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

13 Jul 2016, 11:30 am

ZenDen wrote:
Thanks very much Cat. :D

You said it's entirely possible I'm out of touch with changes in the black community, not having close association for many years.

At first I thought "Now wait a minute here..." but after I thought about it for a while I thought.."Is it possible for an entire group of people to change like this?"

SURE it is!! Let's take Columbine, for example..... We, as a people (Americans), were MUCH different, before and after, that horrible tragedy, and the so many that followed, wouldn't you say? Also, what about 9/11? I'm thinking our country / our country's thinking, changed ALOT, after that!

Also, like I said, that was FORTY years, ago (I'm talking about your working with the black men, now)----do you not feel you have changed as a person, generally speaking, since back-then? I know *I* sure have----and, I feel certain that anybody else would say they've changed a great deal, in 40 years.


You've said it's almost as though there is a "different culture" in Black neighborhoods. Supposedly poor people flashing signs of wealth and "hauteur" while you live the impoverished life.

Actually, the way I was thinking, is that the American culture, as-a-whole, has changed, since then.

As for poor people "flashing signs of wealth", that part hasn't changed, IMO. For as long as I can remember it's been like that----poor people, on welfare, living in the ghetto, and driving Cadillacs, for instance, was VERY common, back then.


As far as I know the government hasn't increased it's Welfare payments drastically (I could be wrong-tell me if I am please)

No, you're not wrong about that. AFAIK, only cost-of-living increases, have been made.

so where does this money come from???? The only thing I can think of (overall not in the specific) is drug profit; would you concur?

Yes, I DEFINITELY think that's where the "wealth" comes-from!! My neighbor that I was telling you about, that's dripping in gold----her baby daddy drives a Jaguar!! NOBODY, in this neighborhood, drives a Jag, unless they've got a hustle, of SOME kind----and, drugs are the ONLY thing that could provide for that, IMO. The way *I* look at it, is if he was doing something legit, then why wouldn't he get his girlfriend / family, in a better place. As it is, they're living in a possible 8 or 900+ dollar apartment, and only paying, maybe, 100 dollars, for it----so, why pay more, if you don't have to!

Do you see more evidence of drug use in your neighborhood that weren't evident many years ago???

Ummm, I don't actually SEE drug use----I only SMELL it, when it seeps-into my apartment, from another's apartment. It's absolute MURDER smelling ANY of that stuff (Aspie sensory issues, of course). My neighbor, downstairs, smokes pot, a few times a week, and that REALLY makes me angry----it's like somebody breaking into my house, and stealing something, to me, on the days I wake-up and my house REEKS of the stuff, because one should be able to have control over what comes into their house. Crack is just as bad----at least, that's what I THINK it was, the times that I've smelled it. I had to search on the internet about it (I've never done street drugs, not even pot, so I didn't know certain stuff----my eldest sister would shoot, pop, smoke, drink anything you'd give her, so I learned SOME tidbits, from her).

I see drug DEALING, though----and, I would say it goes in waves. For awhile, it'll be quite prevalent; then, the cops'll drive everybody out; then, there'll be another wave, and so-on. A gas station, not far from here, was recently raided / closed-down, cuz there was all kinds of crime, up there----drugs, people gettin' murdered, and stuff.....

I'd say it's been pretty steady / regular, all these years, downtown----with exceptional occurrences, sometimes.


Can you move?

Oh, my, no. It takes, what is to ME, a small mint, to do that----I don't have any friends or family (well, no family in the area, and no friends, AT ALL).



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 77
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,730
Location: On top of the world

13 Jul 2016, 12:23 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Thanks very much Cat. :D

You said it's entirely possible I'm out of touch with changes in the black community, not having close association for many years.

At first I thought "Now wait a minute here..." but after I thought about it for a while I thought.."Is it possible for an entire group of people to change like this?"

SURE it is!! Let's take Columbine, for example..... We, as a people (Americans), were MUCH different, before and after, that horrible tragedy, and the so many that followed, wouldn't you say? Also, what about 9/11? I'm thinking our country / our country's thinking, changed ALOT, after that!

Also, like I said, that was FORTY years, ago (I'm talking about your working with the black men, now)----do you not feel you have changed as a person, generally speaking, since back-then? I know *I* sure have----and, I feel certain that anybody else would say they've changed a great deal, in 40 years.


You've said it's almost as though there is a "different culture" in Black neighborhoods. Supposedly poor people flashing signs of wealth and "hauteur" while you live the impoverished life.

Actually, the way I was thinking, is that the American culture, as-a-whole, has changed, since then.

As for poor people "flashing signs of wealth", that part hasn't changed, IMO. For as long as I can remember it's been like that----poor people, on welfare, living in the ghetto, and driving Cadillacs, for instance, was VERY common, back then.


As far as I know the government hasn't increased it's Welfare payments drastically (I could be wrong-tell me if I am please)

No, you're not wrong about that. AFAIK, only cost-of-living increases, have been made.

so where does this money come from???? The only thing I can think of (overall not in the specific) is drug profit; would you concur?

Yes, I DEFINITELY think that's where the "wealth" comes-from!! My neighbor that I was telling you about, that's dripping in gold----her baby daddy drives a Jaguar!! NOBODY, in this neighborhood, drives a Jag, unless they've got a hustle, of SOME kind----and, drugs are the ONLY thing that could provide for that, IMO. The way *I* look at it, is if he was doing something legit, then why wouldn't he get his girlfriend / family, in a better place. As it is, they're living in a possible 8 or 900+ dollar apartment, and only paying, maybe, 100 dollars, for it----so, why pay more, if you don't have to!

Do you see more evidence of drug use in your neighborhood that weren't evident many years ago???

Ummm, I don't actually SEE drug use----I only SMELL it, when it seeps-into my apartment, from another's apartment. It's absolute MURDER smelling ANY of that stuff (Aspie sensory issues, of course). My neighbor, downstairs, smokes pot, a few times a week, and that REALLY makes me angry----it's like somebody breaking into my house, and stealing something, to me, on the days I wake-up and my house REEKS of the stuff, because one should be able to have control over what comes into their house. Crack is just as bad----at least, that's what I THINK it was, the times that I've smelled it. I had to search on the internet about it (I've never done street drugs, not even pot, so I didn't know certain stuff----my eldest sister would shoot, pop, smoke, drink anything you'd give her, so I learned SOME tidbits, from her).

I see drug DEALING, though----and, I would say it goes in waves. For awhile, it'll be quite prevalent; then, the cops'll drive everybody out; then, there'll be another wave, and so-on. A gas station, not far from here, was recently raided / closed-down, cuz there was all kinds of crime, up there----drugs, people gettin' murdered, and stuff.....

I'd say it's been pretty steady / regular, all these years, downtown----with exceptional occurrences, sometimes.


Can you move?

Oh, my, no. It takes, what is to ME, a small mint, to do that----I don't have any friends or family (well, no family in the area, and no friends, AT ALL).



Hi Cat:

What are the major changes since Columbine? Some schools have taken security measures? More hyteria about guns?

What are the major changes since 9/11? Anger at Muslims? I think that was the point, no matter your theory.

You say: ...that was FORTY years, ago (I'm talking about your working with the black men, now)...
No, but close....it's 50+ and counting. And in those days there was no major drug problem, pot and a little heroin.

BUT THEN in the early '80s you had THIS:
********************************************************************************************
CIA involvement in Contra cocaine trafficking
(go look it all up if you wish.) The CIA helped push cocaine into the ghettos....soon after came crack. (As far as I know the CIA introduced this as well).
********************************************************************************************
THIS is what brought drugs to the ghetto and ruined any chance these people had. Blame the responsible parties for shoving this scourge down these poor people's throats, not the stupid dupes that welcomed it.

You shouldn't be so jealous just because someone has scored a Cadillac, how they did is none of your business; think of all the problems this will cause them in the future as well.

50 years ago (before the CIA debacle) there was no drug problem...yes there was crime, but not the gangs (although there were gangs then) that you see now with automatic weapons. It was more laid back.....until King was assassinated....that started the ball rolling downhill. (Maybe another CIA plot?)

And you're in the middle of it. :( I'm so sorry.



beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,214

13 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

Police in Castile's locale disproportionately arrest African-Americans:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/apne ... k-40553699


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,284
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Jul 2016, 1:18 pm

beneficii wrote:
Police in Castile's locale disproportionately arrest African-Americans:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/apne ... k-40553699


Not PC but is it possible that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime in that locale?



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 77
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,730
Location: On top of the world

13 Jul 2016, 2:40 pm

Jacoby wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Police in Castile's locale disproportionately arrest African-Americans:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/apne ... k-40553699


Not PC but is it possible that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime in that locale?


In the article:

"Court records show he had been stopped or ticketed more than 50 times in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area."

(Sounds like automotive "Stop and frisk", like they have in NYC.)

"The data provided by the department does not give details about individual arrests, nor does it show when an arrestee was also issued a citation. But the department's annual reports show that the vast majority of its arrests are prompted by traffic-related offenses."

I guess black drivers must be very bad?

Or....????