Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 1:48 am

Hope Still Races Ahead Of Evidence In Magnet Treatment For Autism - National Public Radio

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

11 Jul 2016, 3:36 am

Fascinating subject, there are so many unanswered questions about how the brain works. Being able to easily recognize the full range of emotions in other people, even for a brief period, must be life changing for some of the test subjects.

Another NPR story on the subject

What An Hour Of Emotion Makes Visible

Not Diagnosed, but have personality traits that are consistent with being neurodiverse. Confirmation bias may be an issue.

LanguageMeterScholar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

Yes, fascinating really is the optimum word thanks for the other piece of writing as well it was really good especially when it treats the patient Kim's experience of language.

I have come to an understanding that the way I deal with language is different from neurotypicals and that piece really drove it home.

Thanks.

I am a language teacher and amateur language scientist, I want to create a theory of language that can benefit autism spectrum persons as well as those with other neurological conditions. Communication with the NT world can be difficult, and I would love to hear what problems you have had trying to deal with such problems. If you want to talk about it please contact me.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 11:52 pm

These articles are fascinating. Kim's story was a vivid account of how she experiences emotion differently, and how a glimpse into the world of subtle emotions changed her outlook. The second is an interesting story of both hope and hold-up. Thanks for sharing these.

muddlin4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2016, 6:20 pm

I heard about this a few months ago from a (different?) npr interview (a guy who wrote a book about loosing his wife and all his friends after treatment). I was hoping for more information because I basicly see other people as anchors around my neck and would like to be a bit sharper. I guess there is still not much word?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 6:29 pm

muddlin4 wrote:
I heard about this a few months ago from a (different?) npr interview (a guy who wrote a book about loosing his wife and all his friends after treatment).

Yes that book author was interviewed by Terri Gross on the NPR show "Fresh Air". He was a nerdy guy worked as a sound engineer for rock bands at arenas for decades.Very startling things about how he suddenly got less autistic from the treatment. Curing autism? Sounds incredible, but thats the implication.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 6:44 pm

I would love to be able to try TMS with a bunch of pre-tuned "what if..." premises. Mostly for cognitive improvement, but it would be fun to try "switching off" various things too.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2016, 11:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:
muddlin4 wrote:
I heard about this a few months ago from a (different?) npr interview (a guy who wrote a book about loosing his wife and all his friends after treatment).

Yes that book author was interviewed by Terri Gross on the NPR show "Fresh Air". He was a nerdy guy worked as a sound engineer for rock bands at arenas for decades.Very startling things about how he suddenly got less autistic from the treatment. Curing autism? Sounds incredible, but thats the implication.

That would be John Elder Robison, I think. I'm part way through reading his book "Switched On" about his experiences with TMS right now. I read already an earlier book of his, "Look Me in the Eye," about his life and his eventual realisation he had ASD. It was, with no pun intended, a real eye-opener for me; so much of what he wrote about in that book resonated with my own experiences.

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2016, 12:36 pm

I would certainly like the idea of seeing how NTs interact but as the gentleman towards the article stated, "he didn't see the beauty he expected.' It might be a simple case of ignorance is bliss and we'll have to try to get more comfortable with our world.