Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 1:27 pm

Some really interesting scientific work here that suggests that the nice guys finished last theory is a myth. I thought this might cheer some of you up as it shows that a majority of girls don't go for bad boys:)

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/do-wome ... stion/all/

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 2:28 pm

They do because I finish them first.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 2:49 pm

Really nice guys will let their partner finish first, of course.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jul 2016, 3:06 pm

I'm not sure self reporting is really all to accurate, it's kind of like no **** people won't say they like jerks or think the guys they're attracted to are jerks. The article even says that narcissists in the 'short term' seem more well adjusted, entertaining, and apparently nicer too. Confidence is attractive, confident guys are usually jerks since there is usually some level of narcissism or delusion behind it.

Also social science is not real science, the whole thing is agenda driven as the last paragraph pretty much wraps it up nicely with a "it's not me, it's you". Biology > "social psychology"

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 3:15 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I'm not sure self reporting is really all to accurate, it's kind of like no **** people won't say they like jerks or think the guys they're attracted to are jerks. The article even says that narcissists in the 'short term' seem more well adjusted, entertaining, and apparently nicer too. Confidence is attractive, confident guys are usually jerks since there is usually some level of narcissism or delusion behind it.

Also social science is not real science, the whole thing is agenda driven as the last paragraph pretty much wraps it up nicely with a "it's not me, it's you". Biology > "social psychology"

I'm not sure what you mean by self reporting? Did you look at the studies that's were listed?

Most of the females in the studies are shown to be more attracted to males in a scientific study. But if you have found evidence proving otherwise could you please link it? I find it interesting so would love a read

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jul 2016, 3:37 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by self reporting? Did you look at the studies that's were listed?

Most of the females in the studies are shown to be more attracted to males in a scientific study. But if you have found evidence proving otherwise could you please link it? I find it interesting so would love a read

What was scientific about any of these "studies"? They just asked these women to pick based on these imaginary scenarios. It's like asking whether or not someone is a good person or not, of course most people are going to say they're a good person but do you trust people to be honest or even really know? It's really just a question of perception rather than reality. There isn't anything scientific about these social sciences. The article undermines itself completely in the middle with the stuff about narcissism.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

This article doesn't really give me any hope since most girls I've known made it clear to me they wanted bad boys and nice guys were "gay" or "losers".

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:01 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

What was scientific about any of these "studies"? They just asked these women to pick based on these imaginary scenarios. It's like asking whether or not someone is a good person or not, of course most people are going to say they're a good person but do you trust people to be honest or even really know? It's really just a question of perception rather than reality. There isn't anything scientific about these social sciences. The article undermines itself completely in the middle with the stuff about narcissism.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.102 ... 5894203368
I'm going to use this as an example

First of all they are published journal articles. This means they would be read and confirmed by multiple research scientist be for publishing is even considered. After it is considered further examination occurs before it is published

These women were not aware which was the supposedly the nice guy and with all studies there are bound to be limitations. This is usually reduced by the use of statistics. Also in some ways perception is reality. Different women will perceive different behaviours as nice.

Also social science has done alot to help autistic people. It is demeaning to the scientists in that field to call it 'not a real science'. I appreciate you disagree with the results but it is no reason to disregard peoples hard work

Also studies on animals have show similar evidence. Female chimpanzees are more likely to share with a male who allows them to eat first.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:45 pm

Marknis wrote:
This article doesn't really give me any hope since most girls I've known made it clear to me they wanted bad boys and nice guys were "gay" or "losers".

Wait a few years, you'll see those women married to bums; I'm serious. That's how it works.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:47 pm

What I'd like to see is a study based on IQ. As in, what sort of partners do women go for in different IQ ranges. This study will never be done.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Wait a few years, you'll see those women married to bums; I'm serious. That's how it works.

I don't think I'll last another year due to the pain loneliness has caused me. Despite what the article claims, it doesn't change the fact the girls in my culture refuse to give nice guys a chance.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:59 pm

I didn't read the study, I was put off by them having a picture of a fit guy and a girl making a b**chy face. Being fit does not equate to being a bad boy. Back in the old days men were taught to be strong family men. Now if you want to be healthy and be in shape, you're "narcissistic".