Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2016, 3:20 pm

Hi. Does anyone here do martial arts?

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2016, 8:07 am

While I don't have any formal training, i do practice some martial arts on my own. Mostly just kickboxing, some dragon-style Kung-Fu forms, and a bit of Kyakushin on a punching bag in my basement. I took some Judo for a couple weeks when i was like 6 or 7, but I was more interested in acting like a movie star than the martial arts and stopped going due to not learning any of it. Started my self-training back in 8th grade with a couple friends, I don't spar with them (they do with each other though), but I never pursued formal training due to my lack of temper control when i get hit by something which has gotten significantly better since my junior year in high school.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2016, 4:01 pm

How do you self-train? Is it hard?

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2016, 5:49 pm

While it is hard to tell if i'm doing the forms right. It's not that difficult to self-train as long as i make sure i keep up the practice and occasionally have my friends who did/do have formal training watch me do it every now and then to give pointers/advice if i'm doing something wrong.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2016, 8:54 pm

Up to the age of 24 I practised martial arts (Thai Boxing) to a high level.

'Self-training' - do you mean the actual martial art? I'd suggest you spar with someone/train with real people. Of course, working specifics of technique is important - but sparring etc is often better for a number of reasons - including training you to keep calm & mentally controlled should you ever be in a real-life situation where you could be mugged etc.

In terms of other pointers: probably the best basic advice for all physical activities is the best:

Eat well & do regular cardio.

You'll be faster, more efficient, have greater recovery etc.

I wouldn't put 50 bricks in the back of my car before driving 200 miles, as it would burn unnecessary fuel. So it is with the body: there's no point in carrying unnecessary weight.

Looking healthy & being healthy are very different (I realise this is a slight diversion from your question, but it is important).

In most instances, people wear gym gear to look sporty. But doing so doesn't make you sporty - it just means you're (again, in most instances) a fat person in gym gear.

What do you hope to achieve from martial arts?

One important question for all who seek 'fitness' etc is:

Do you want to be healthy or look good when you stand naked in front of the mirror?

They aren't necessarily synonymous.

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2016, 11:18 pm

I do have one friend i spar with every now and then (he's a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do), but believe me cardio is the last thing i need, i should actually be doing some weight lifting. While i'm only 22 years old, 5'9" and 154 lbs, i lack the upper body strength to do much more than 8 pull-ups at a time. Most of my daily exercise is (year round) bike riding around town (usually 30-40 miles a day between 12-20 mph) or swimming during the summer, and as a result i have much more leg strength and endurance than most i know my age. I can actually kick with sufficient force to leave a very noticeable dent (4-6 inches deep) in a metal storm door (the one that's just inside a screen door) wearing basic running shoes. I focus on speed over strength, but that's my personal style.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2016, 4:00 am

Abyssalrider wrote:
While it is hard to tell if i'm doing the forms right. It's not that difficult to self-train as long as i make sure i keep up the practice and occasionally have my friends who did/do have formal training watch me do it every now and then to give pointers/advice if i'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for answering. It's really good to know what to do if I have to quit.

sonicallysensitive wrote:
'Self-training' - do you mean the actual martial art? I'd suggest you spar with someone/train with real people. Of course, working specifics of technique is important - but sparring etc is often better for a number of reasons - including training you to keep calm & mentally controlled should you ever be in a real-life situation where you could be mugged etc.

I have only done judo in a couple of years so I'm probably still going to take classes for a while, but I thought it was good to know just in case because I may have to quit in a few years because of several reasons.

sonicallysensitive wrote:
In terms of other pointers: probably the best basic advice for all physical activities is the best:

Eat well & do regular cardio.

You'll be faster, more efficient, have greater recovery etc.

I wouldn't put 50 bricks in the back of my car before driving 200 miles, as it would burn unnecessary fuel. So it is with the body: there's no point in carrying unnecessary weight.

Looking healthy & being healthy are very different (I realise this is a slight diversion from your question, but it is important).

In most instances, people wear gym gear to look sporty. But doing so doesn't make you sporty - it just means you're (again, in most instances) a fat person in gym gear.

What do you hope to achieve from martial arts?

One important question for all who seek 'fitness' etc is:

Do you want to be healthy or look good when you stand naked in front of the mirror?

They aren't necessarily synonymous.

The reason why I chose judo was because I wanted to get healthier, stronger and at the same time have fun, which is why I chose judo because it fits my interests. I look quite healthy, but I'm incredibly weak, probably because I don't exercise anywhere else and eat very unhealthy. There are a lot of things other people my age can do which I can't. I have gotten a little better though compared to before.

Zil333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2016, 11:47 pm

I do, I am taught by my teacher.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2017, 4:24 pm

Zil333 wrote:
I do, I am taught by my teacher.

In what martial art?

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2017, 7:37 am

I'm planning on doing karate or tae kwon do in the next few weeks... not sure which one yet due to other factors

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 1:55 pm

Yes. I am even qualified/certified to teach the martial arts all the way to entry Olympics-levels.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2017, 2:56 pm

amykitten wrote:
I'm planning on doing karate or tae kwon do in the next few weeks... not sure which one yet due to other factors

What did you end up with?

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2017, 2:57 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Yes. I am even qualified/certified to teach the martial arts all the way to entry Olympics-levels.

Cool, how long have you been doing this?

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2017, 7:31 am

W91T wrote:
amykitten wrote:

What did you end up with?

I still am undecided. I would prefer karate, but have a feeling it will be tae kwon do. I did tae kwon do as a child. But I start next week, so now I just need to pick.

Why are you interested in if people do a martial arts?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:22 am

With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 9:09 am

Qualified to teach since around a decade and a half ago. Nearly three decades in martial arts altogether.

W91T wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

Cool, how long have you been doing this?