Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

What age did your earliest memory take place at?
Less than a year old 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
1 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
2 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
3 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
4 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
5 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9 or older 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

What is your earliest memory? I have heard that autistic people tend to have earlier memories than NTs and I have heard that long term memory is impairment in autism.

My earliest memory is when I was two and a half. My dad dropped me off at daycare and I cried and looked out the window as he walked down the wooden staircase. It was a rainy Wednesday.

My working memory and visual memory are useless though.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2016, 8:32 pm

I have memories from around 1 or 1 and a half years old.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

My earliest memories was from when I was either 1 or 2 (probably 2).

1. I remember the letters on the footrest of my stroller. I believe I knew what the letters were.

2. I remember the omnipresent smell of vomit.

3. I remember listening to Four Seasons songs on the radio

4. I remember playing "this little piggy."

5. I remember taking baths in the sink.

6. I remember always being scared.

7. I remember the green walls of the grocery store in the Bronx.

When I was three, I remember running into the apartment in Queens we had just moved into.

My cohesive memories start at age 5.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 9:42 pm

8 months...crawling on the floor found the treadmill for the sewing machine...this was odd and special as you might imagine....also must have caused a tangle (up above) because soon it wouldn't rock anymore

A day or so later I was put down in the same area and found the treadle but my Aunt had something so I couldn't screw it up again.

Went back sometime later after I had begun to walk and saw what it all was about.

I think these repetitions are what kept the first memory so impressed. :D

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 1:26 am

Earliest memory for me was from around Christmas 1979 when I was about a month old. I was born at 36 weeks and I was jaundiced due to my early birth and it didn't subside so I went "under the lights" - In my case, a florescent grow light that was mounted just above my crib. I had to wear eye protection and I can remember not being able to see except out of the very corners of my eyes.

That memory, along with all my other memories that happened before I was roughly 2 1/2 years old all have a very distant, dreamy quality to them.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 1:48 am

My first birthday. I recall being asked to go to the door to meet a visiting family member, who handed me my gift and said 'hello'. I was scared, so promptly ran and hid behind the armchair by the window that my Grandma usually sat in.

Megan140
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jul 2016, 1:56 am

I was two or three. I had gotten the chicken pox and had to go to the hospital. I remember hiding under the sheet and throwing up to make sure my dad was still beside the gurney as I was being wheeled somewhere. I also have a vague memory from the same time of being in the hospital bed with my dad asleep in the chair beside me as I played with a three legged horse while some cartoon played in the background. I also remember wondering where my sister was when I could finally go home

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 2:30 am

I was on the other side of the baby gate watching my dad practice martial arts. I loved the glinting and fluid motion of the swords.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 2:44 am

I remember being in a baby swing being pushed by my mom, I think I was about 1. I have questioned weather this is a real memory though because I have become familiar with false memories and how they are a thing that exists. I also distinctly remember taking a hike in a massive canyon with a waterfall going over the edge of it and I almost fell a few times, but I know that it's impossible for that to have been real for a number of reasons. My brother also says that he distinctly remembers being in a car as it drove off a cliff, but he knows that it can't be real because he is alive and we still have that car. I have wondered if my memory of being that young may also be a false one that was actually a dream that somehow got written into long-term memory.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art