The portrayal of non-neurotypicals in neurotypical media

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2016, 6:00 am

The portrayal of non-neurotypicals in neurotypical media.

Quote:
The very connotation of "escaped lunatic" is that of a violent person, an urban-myth trope that goes back as far as the first mental asylums. The same goes for "psycho", "madman", and "insane", all of which commonly imply violence or evil (or both).

Quote:
In 1999, characters in prime time television portrayed as having a mental illness were depicted as the most dangerous of all demographic groups, with 60 percent shown to be involved in crime or violence. Such negative depictions, including in children's cartoons, are thought to contribute to stigma and negative attitudes in the public and in those with mental health problems themselves, although more sensitive or serious cinematic portrayals have increased in prevalence.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... alsViolent

Quote:
A loner character usually is more than just socially awkward; they'll have a number of serious psychological issues too. Arrogance, selfishness, and mental instability are all fairly common. At worst, they're portrayed as evil since their refusal to socialize is proof that others are not worthy of their presence and that the only person they could ever care about is themselves.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sAreFreaks

Why does neurotypical society portray non-neurotypicals as evil, violent, dangerous and selfish?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 9:30 am

Money is made exploiting peoples natural fear of differences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2016, 3:13 pm

Why does white society portray non-whites as evil, violent, dangerous, and selfish?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 1:25 pm

I knew one elderly lady, who was forever taking community college courses, to enrich her life. One told her that mythology is the basis of society (the noble lie) and that everyone needs their own, personal story. (Also, in police science, criminals were said to invent their own narratives, or rationalizations for crimes.) She started saying that her hollihock seeds and generic succulents were carried in the bonnet of her ancestor, on a wagon trail, and, into her obsolete computer, she typed fairytales, featuring her dead child. These were to be regarded as the concrete, Gospel truth, or social consequences would ensue. The rules would continuously change as the web of deceit became ever more entangling. (So much precious, mental energy was stored on a leaky porch, made from recycled billboards, and later burned down.)

If I had to portray an NT person, in AS media, there should be a continual sense of life-and-death urgency, with emotional justifications. Under the 'theory of rent,' it is said that NT people cannot even function without Bastiat's broken window, some Hegelian dialectic, or false, moral equivalency, composed of completely arbitrary elements.

I would portray the NT person, losing touch with reality, as all of their mental energy was devoted to a fantasy life.

And, they would regard a Zen-like Karl Childers or Forrerst Gump type-of person, as having a kind of hidden genius, when making quick fixes and finding crass, Solomonic solutions.

Like the tin pot dictator or petty criminal, every NT person, in my own life, has had to imagine some wrong or guilt and feel like a right-fighter, in everything they do, so they can find motivation to complete mundane chores.

Pathological lying was once, formally considered to be on a spectrum of dissociation (as from reality), and I would portray that as a sort of logical continuum, or decent into madness.

Ersatz Einstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2016, 4:46 pm

You know, I've often had the same thought, albeit in a slightly different form.

In a society where we were the majority, and "sociotics" the minority, they'd probably seem overwrought, manipulative, and superficial enough to qualify for Borderline Personality Disorder. Of course, it'd be important to remember that they're fully functional human beings, too, and that most weren't significantly different or dangerous, but it'd be hard to believe.

That's the real problem with media that reinforces these stereotypes. In reducing people on the spectrum to cardboard cutouts, they create expected roles and scripts for NT/NA interaction that most people don't want or need to conform to.