Eye problems when viewing web pages online.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 6:38 am

I have light sensitive eyes, and usually find web pages too bright. I did adjust the brightness on the monitor itself, but part of the problem is also caused by the colors sometimes being too "hot" for my eyes. Over time I have come across similar complaints from others here at WP. It took me a while, but I found several browser add-ons that are supposed to help. The one I have been using is called Color That Site! And yes, the exclamation point is part of the name. I am not sure of the web address string for it, but just plug it into any search engine to find it. This add-on lets you change the colors of the different page elements of almost any site. You can change to a different color, or make a color lighter or darker. You can do just the one page, or for the whole site that the page is part of. It takes a little tinkering to get used the program, but it really helps my sensitive eyes.

Hope this helps others here! :D

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2016, 6:10 pm

I have always had eye problems related to screens but I think my problems might be a bit different to yours. I have to use a LED monitor and have it at the back of the desk. That type of screen is much more matte and it doesn't affect me "as much".

Laptops, tablets and mobile phones give me huge problems and I have to use screen protectors (Atfolix are good if hard to apply) to make the screen matte and limit my usage to a few minutes per day on the phone. I can't really own a tablet because of this.

Screens cause me a sensory problem and cause mood changes in me also. I have to bathe my eyes to compensate but I have no idea why this happens or whether my problems are totally unknown to science :( .

Software I use:
- Flux for Windows
- Blank your monitor + easy reading - Firefox addon to change page colours

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 7:00 pm

If you're viewing on an iPad, you can go to settings => general => assessibility => invert colours.

This will give you a black background.

I'm also very light sensitive and I can't tolerate the white background here even when the screen is turned down to the lowest level of brightness, so I use the invert option.

The colours may take a little getting used to though. The smilies are all so blue. :P

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jul 2016, 2:06 am

I have this problem, but I know how to change the colours of most programs in Windows 10, including Word.

I go into Settings, click 'Personalization, Background, Lock Screen, Colours', click on Themes, then Themes Settings, and choose from one of the High Contrast Themes.

This doesn't work for Chrome, my most reliable browser. At the moment I'm using an addon to invert colours, which inverts everthing. Makes pictures look really freaky.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 4:00 pm

questor wrote:
It took me a while, but I found several browser add-ons that are supposed to help. The one I have been using is called Color That Site!

I tried that add-on and found that I had to tinker with it too much. I use Color Toggle instead. It allows you to quickly switch between two different color profiles. I use my dark profile most of the time, but when there are elements on a web page that don't show up with my black background, I switch back to the website's colors.