Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 9:43 am

Could somebody suggest good TV shows of last 5-10 years without nudity, like House, Boardwalk Empire or Oz?

I tried to watch Breaking Bad and Dexter, but got bored of those two after several episodes.

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2016, 12:23 am

I love Boardwalk Empire, but it's definitely not the place to go for nudity-free programming XD

My favorite show is probably Mad Men, so you might give it a try. Very high quality all around, and only very slight nudity every once or twice per season I would say. Some people say they get bored by it though, so it might not be for you. The Night Of on HBO is also pretty good so far also, and I don't think the first episode had any nudity (that I can recall.)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 2:14 am

You'll probably have to stick to the networks because most stuff for HBO and Showtime have a little at least. Lots of them have enough to worry about but if you're really offended by it then network TV is probably the best for you. I do believe there is some program you can find on the internet for Christian women that take popular shows and movies and removes nudity, sex and cussing and allows you to watch them that way. However, sometimes important dialogue takes place during the nude scenes so you'll miss something.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 8:30 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
You'll probably have to stick to the networks because most stuff for HBO and Showtime have a little at least. Lots of them have enough to worry about but if you're really offended by it then network TV is probably the best for you. I do believe there is some program you can find on the internet for Christian women that take popular shows and movies and removes nudity, sex and cussing and allows you to watch them that way. However, sometimes important dialogue takes place during the nude scenes so you'll miss something.

What networks are you talking about? I'm not that familiar with TV, as I watch those shows online.

And I found one website like you said, but I don't like how it works, so I'm trying to find something more suitable by default.

Yesterday I watched first episode of Boston Legal, they say it's what will suit, but for some reason I just didn't like it. Maybe too tired of white collar office job :-)

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 10:27 am

Today I'll try Turkish TV series Magnificent Century, it's about life of Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. I've reed good reviews about it.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:32 pm

I think some episodes go back about 20 years, but The Vicar of Dibley has no nudity and is hilarious. Red Dwarf? Again, going back a bit and I haven't seen the most recent seasons. Lost, too.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 2:09 pm

HighLlama wrote:
I think some episodes go back about 20 years, but The Vicar of Dibley has no nudity and is hilarious. Red Dwarf? Again, going back a bit and I haven't seen the most recent seasons. Lost, too.

I'm not that much into comedies, but thank you.

And I watched Lost - first several episodes were cool, but then they just added lots of unmotivated mysteries without real answers, so plot became messed and unwatchable.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 2:45 am

NBC, CBS, ABC. The big three major and original networks.they, along with the more intellectual PBS that also had educational children's shows, were what made up pretty much all of tv for about the first 25 years or so. Tv used to be very different. And free.

Networks have stricter standards and practices than the cable and independent networks. They did start catching up in the 80s and showing riskier things, storylines, and language than they had before. The first big change I remember was NYPD Blue. Also, Saturday Night Live pushed them as well but it came on at 1030 here and 1130 on the coast. That was late. Tv went off the air completely at about 2 am up until well into the 70s or 80s.
Not cable tv, but some networks did.

I'm old and remember a vastly different tv experience than y'all have now. Star Trek took a lot of flack for the interracial kiss, All in the Family took even.more for controversial subjects and storylines even though the main character was a bigot and typical working class white male in the civil rights era and early 70s. And the Jefferson's was the first tv show to have a mainly black cast that were well off and on a similar or higher actually, income and social level that a good bit of white America. Roots the miniseries was shown in the 70s and caused a huge stir because it wasn't the step n fetchet type slaves that the media had always shown. Even in the 90s when Ellen came out on her sitcom, it was a huge controversy and some places like Bham didn't air it and we protested that.

But your best bet is the big three because even though they show, tell, and say some things, they are by far the tamest you find outside of the Hallmark channel or a religious one.

What about Nick at night? They show a lot of old shows that didn't have nudity or profanity and were good. If you have Netflix look up Rockford Files, Magnun PI, Hill Street Blues, St Elsewhere , McMillan and Wife, Columbo, and Quincy. You might like them. Those are ones I used to watch that were dramas.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 7:19 am

Donald duck, pokemon, teenage mutant ninja turtles, he man (etc).

...or you could realise that you are 28 years old, get over it and just bypass those sections of the shows. Whenever there is a screaming kid on a show, i either jump past the part or skip the episode entirely if it has a lot of that crap or something else that annoy me.

CheeseSlice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2016, 4:42 pm

The Fosters on Freeform is a very good show about a diverse and unique family.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:29 pm

Better Call Saul

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 5:18 pm

Noca wrote:
Better Call Saul

I think of the thread starter is offended by nudity they might be offended by language and dark humor.

CheeseSlice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2016, 7:11 pm

CheeseSlice wrote:
The Fosters on Freeform is a very good show about a diverse and unique family.

Just remembered it has a bit of sex so idk

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 9:30 pm

thewrll wrote:
Noca wrote:
Better Call Saul

I think of the thread starter is offended by nudity they might be offended by language and dark humor.

And you are wrong here :-) It's just not having gf for years.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 9:31 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Donald duck, pokemon, teenage mutant ninja turtles, he man (etc).

...or you could realise that you are 28 years old, get over it and just bypass those sections of the shows. Whenever there is a screaming kid on a show, i either jump past the part or skip the episode entirely if it has a lot of that crap or something else that annoy me.

And that's what I do. But finally I wanted to see something without necessity to skip all the time.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 9:34 pm

For now I watched six episodes of The Magnificent Century, and like it a lot. A bit slow (each episode is 90+ mins, totally 139), but interesting enough at least now. I heard that last season is mostly fictional and boring, but it seems I'll become tired of tv shows long before it.