Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Foxprospeak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2016, 9:05 pm

Well I don't often play hard games.
I made it a point to avoid platforming games or ones that require lightning fast reflexes as I'm rubbish with them.

I always play my games on easy.

Having said that I can still be easily stressed by games that are very complicated or just plain huge.

Sometimes all I want is something casual to play and focus on.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2016, 2:22 am

Stress related question. It's to do with WoW.

If you're in groups, and they're constantly NOT listening to instructions, should you stay away from such activities? It's something I'm still encountering in the game. This is pretty much the "endgame" of the game - raids. If I can't adhere to strict schedules, like many guilds have, then I have to do LFR, and therein lays the "trap".

If I tank, people don't always listen to me and it's infuriating!
If I DPS, I see others not listening to the leader(s) and it's infuriating!

Is the solution to not play WoW ever again?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:10 am

dan_aspie wrote:
Stress related question. It's to do with WoW.

If you're in groups, and they're constantly NOT listening to instructions, should you stay away from such activities? It's something I'm still encountering in the game. This is pretty much the "endgame" of the game - raids. If I can't adhere to strict schedules, like many guilds have, then I have to do LFR, and therein lays the "trap".

If I tank, people don't always listen to me and it's infuriating!
If I DPS, I see others not listening to the leader(s) and it's infuriating!

Is the solution to not play WoW ever again?

You're going to encounter this in MMOs no matter what you do. As a rule, players tend not to listen. They think they know best, so they'll do... whatever.

The best thing to do is to know EXACTLY what your own role is, and just do it, and not worry about wether or not others are listening. If YOU are listening to whoever is leading, well, that's the best you can hope for really.

Raids in particular usually just end up being a hideous jumbled mess as it is (I usually just dont do them in MMOs). And one big, big problem with WoW is that it's practically made of raids. If dealing with them is too stressful, you may consider finding another MMO where raids dont have as much focus overall.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2016, 3:22 am

Yeah. That's why I'm looking at Marvel Heroes again. It also has raids, however they seem far less focused around that unholy-trinity nonsense, and more "if you're here, help us kill the boss". I'll see soon enough.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 12:57 pm

What people view as stress varies from person to person. While one person might find a sense of accomplishment by trying to beat a boss in Dark Souls, someone else might just get more and more worked up over it. All of us are on our own journeys in life and it's up to us to find what makes us happy, what makes us stress, and how to control whatever is within our control.

Personally, if I have a bad day at work or get stressed about what's going on in the world, I usually play a game I've advanced significantly well in (example: taking a level 56 Borderlands character into earlier parts of the game). Sure it might not present the challenge or feeling of accomplishment that beating a game might do, but it's one of the things that helps center me and get my mind off of things I shouldn't be thinking about while at home.

alextheadvenger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm

Roguelikes and Soulslikes, Play at your own risk :D :evil: :D :evil:

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2016, 7:34 pm

big problem with WoW is that it's practically made of raids. If dealing with them is too stressful, you may consider finding another MMO where raids dont have as much focus overall.
~ Misery

I'm deeply thinking about what you said. Raids, and sometimes dungeons, are a stress point for me. When they're new content, I can understand as the learning curve is still there. But when it's months old, and people still wipe (the official term), that is what annoys me (as well as blatant disobedience). To make it "worse", raids are the endgame and the only source of uber-level gear.

Verdict: don't play WoW. It's bloody obvious by now. I'm just sorry it has taken this bloody long for me to get it! :(

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:19 pm

Quite a few games actually mock the player for choosing the easier difficulty settings and I think they're being real jerks by doing so. Of course, these are mostly games where the target audience is clearly male and are mega-violent. Like for example there's a Doom game where Doom Guy or whatever he's called wears a baby bonnet and sucks a pacifier if you pick the easiest setting. Actually that's pretty funny, but still.

My brother used to tease me when I picked the easier difficulty n video games and he always picked the hardest, because he's a maaaaan. :roll:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 12:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Quite a few games actually mock the player for choosing the easier difficulty settings and I think they're being real jerks by doing so. Of course, these are mostly games where the target audience is clearly male and are mega-violent. Like for example there's a Doom game where Doom Guy or whatever he's called wears a baby bonnet and sucks a pacifier if you pick the easiest setting. Actually that's pretty funny, but still.

My brother used to tease me when I picked the easier difficulty n video games and he always picked the hardest, because he's a maaaaan. :roll:

Actually, it was Wolfenstein 3D, Doom's predecessor that had that. ;)

Anyway, from what I've read about your brother he sounds like a dickbag.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 4:10 pm

I always play games on easy mode.

Constantly dropping dead isn't fun for me. I play games for the story and the interactivity, not the challenge. I never get a sense of accomplishment from staring at a screen and clicking buttons with my thumbs, so, I'm not missing out on anything.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 12:33 am

I automatically set games on the hardest difficulty, and then dial down as required. I enjoy the sense of learning and adaptaion as I figure out to play a game. The sense of accomplishment comes from watching the credits roll.