Sensitive to cold water but warm air?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:21 am

I am not sensitive to cold air at all, but I am really sensitive to the heat and will complain about long before others start to. However, when it comes to water, I will be complaining when others are calling it "refreshing". Most people can tolerate cold water (like a cold shower) if they have to, but I can't. Once, I was staying at someone house and they turned off the hot water and I didn't know that and took a shower. I couldn't stand it (I don't think they take showers when the hot water is off though).

My step-grandmother actually LIKES cold water and will happily swim in water that most people think is way too cold. She lives by the ocean and doesn't understand why I won't go swimming there.

Is anyone else like this?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 2:02 am

Usually I can only tolerate a very narrow temperature range for air or water, so most of the time I'm either too hot or too cold. On a good day I can be comfortable temperature-wise as long as I can control the ambient temperature very precisely. It seems to have become worse over the years.

JT_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2016, 6:40 am

I'm fine with the cold, that doesn't bother me at all, its the heat that I can't deal with. I can't function when I'm too hot, I start feeling unwell like I'm gonna pass out or something and I need to find some way to cool myself down.

RAADS-R: 170

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

17 Jul 2016, 9:12 am

Im really sensitive about temperature. I will complain over too hot weather aswell as over to cold. Everything thats out of the 20°C-24°C range gets me shaking or sweating, and i hate that. For water, i once had to shower under cold water but i couldnt stand under it, so it set the brush down at one edge of the shower and just held my body parts that needed water in. Still, my heart has totally gone crazy while doing it and i had serious issues with breathing. So no, i cannot stand cold water. For showering, i like my water on 38°C (2°C over normal body temperature). I also really like to swim in a lake not far from my city, but it needs several weeks of hot summer temperatures so i can step in it very slowly and get used to it. Other people jump in when it has 15°C or so water temp, i just literally stop breathing...

Peace
TK

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2016, 11:13 am

I can't tolerate hot air or water very well, but the cold is fine with me.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 11:59 am

I'm kind of the opposite. I can be in a room with the air conditioner off in the heat of the summer, be sweating, and feel just right. Turn on the air conditioner, and I'll be freezing! My mom always asks me why I sleep with the fan off, and I just tell her that it feels better and I don't like being cold. However, extreme heat exhausts me. I think of those hot days at marching band camp where I was drenched in sweat ready to pass out. Water is much the same as air. I always take very hot showers, and if the hot water starts to run out (which is rare), I have to exit immediately.

My mouth seems particularly sensitive to temperature. It always baffles me how people can eat things so steaming hot, and when I take a bite, I end up jumping up and down hollering. When I drink a glass of water, I have to let it sit for a while after pouring so it's not so cold.