ASD Stepson Makes Me Uncomfortable

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Betseyev
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2016, 5:55 am

I recently married "Jeff" after dating for 2 years. Jeff's son "Chris" lives with us full-time. He just turned 18 and is about to start his senior year of high school.

Chris is what would be considered high functioning in a lot of ways. He does well in school, has good manners, and does his chores without too many reminders. Jeff and I do get frustrated with him for his lack of hygiene and other issues like being so focused on himself and what is right in front of him. However, the big issue is causing me a lot of anxiety.

About 2 months ago, Chris went upstairs to do his laundry (it's located right next to our master bedroom). He was up there for a while when Jeff told him to come downstairs. Privately Jeff questioned Chris about what he was doing. Chris admitted he had been masturbating in our bed/bathroom!! Ever since then, I feel very uncomfortable being close to Chris. We just returned from a family vacation, and I had a hard time acting normal around Chris because I was feeling creeped out the whole 5 days!

I don't want to feel this way about him! Can anyone help me with this situation?

Thank you!

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:08 pm

Heheh, he sure is honest. ^^

I would say just try to stop thinking about it. Well, maybe you're already trying that... It's in the past, so why should it matter now? You'll probably get past it eventually. ^^

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:42 pm

Wow, I don't think I would even be able to admit that!
Masturbation is a normal thing, and the majority of men who aren't in relationships do it regularly, so I wouldn't get freaked out about it.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:48 pm

saxgeek wrote:
Wow, I don't think I would even be able to admit that!
Masturbation is a normal thing, and the majority of men who aren't in relationships do it regularly, so I wouldn't get freaked out about it.

I think it's the location and not the act.

To be honest, I'm questioning the honesty of his statement: I'm thinking if he's copping to masturbating in his father's bed to his father, there's a possibility that was a lie for something that's actually worse. Age old trick: lie about something shocking to distract from the bigger lie. I don't know your step-son, I don't even know the entirety of the situation, but I do know when you hear "shocking honesty" you should probably check to make sure there's not another lie tucked underneath it.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 4:12 pm

I'm just going to admit that this is another one of those step-parent posts that frustrate me. Another person who didn't bother to learn about ASD while she was dating the dad, and now is confused and upset and wants to know how to fix things because she's "creeped out".
*sigh*
I can't even.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

Betseyev wrote:
I recently married "Jeff" after dating for 2 years. Jeff's son "Chris" lives with us full-time. He just turned 18 and is about to start his senior year of high school.

Chris is what would be considered high functioning in a lot of ways. He does well in school, has good manners, and does his chores without too many reminders. Jeff and I do get frustrated with him for his lack of hygiene and other issues like being so focused on himself and what is right in front of him. However, the big issue is causing me a lot of anxiety.

About 2 months ago, Chris went upstairs to do his laundry (it's located right next to our master bedroom). He was up there for a while when Jeff told him to come downstairs. Privately Jeff questioned Chris about what he was doing. Chris admitted he had been masturbating in our bed/bathroom!! Ever since then, I feel very uncomfortable being close to Chris. We just returned from a family vacation, and I had a hard time acting normal around Chris because I was feeling creeped out the whole 5 days!

I don't want to feel this way about him! Can anyone help me with this situation?

Thank you!

Can't you just explain to him (or perhaps asking his father to explain to him might be less uncomfortable for him and for you) that masturbating is fine and normal and everyone does it, but where and when you do it matters: it's something you do in private when you're by yourself, and not something you do in other people's private rooms. Just tell him if he wants to masturbate to do it in his own room or in the bathroom.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 8:36 pm

Yeah. Honestly, I think you need to have a talk with your husband. I mean, is this a typical behavior for him? I ask this because, yes, it is completely possible he doesn't care where he is as long as it is a private space, and he isn't thinking about it as not being his personal space. Bathrooms are often shared and it is a common location for this particular activity. Unless he has been corrected about it in the past it is very possible he feels like as long as no one sees him do it and he cleans after himself, it is alright. He may view all bedrooms as potential private activity area.

Is it possible there is something else going on and he is using your clothing items or something? (I am guessing that is what is creeping you out) It is possible, but really his dad is more likely to have insight if this is likely or not. If you are just creeped out because it your bedroom, I would try to think about how as long as things are cleaned up, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. If you have been in hotels, the probably cleaned it less well, and who knows how many people's bodily secretions had been there.

I am not saying it should continue. He should be corrected and told what rooms are Ok for him to be doing that in, of course. But, I guess I don't look at it as such a terrible thing is because having a young autistic son, I could really see him not thinking it was an issue. In fact the next time the sex talk comes up, I think I will emphasize that his bathroom and bedroom are the places for that and not ours. :) We usually emphasized the private things should be done in private vs emphasizing where the private areas are. With autistic people being specific is best.

As far as the rest of it goes, autism includes the root "self", so you really need to expect that he is going to be focused on himself. Hygiene is also a very common issue because showers and other cleaning processes can be sensory nightmares.

I don't know how much research you did on autism before you got married, but there are some very common issues that crop up in even very high functioning autistic persons and his emotional/developmental age is likely to be younger than you think it is. Very high functioning might mean his real age is 2/3 of his actual age; so instead of an 18 year old, soon to be launched, he could very well be closer to a 12 year old in many ways.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 10:24 am

You don't know what step son was doing. His father said masturbation.

He could have been

-trying on clothes
-trying make up/skin care products
-masturbating with another item
-plain old masturbating and needed some lotion

People spin stuff when embarrassed. Since you are not is bio mom, I can see dad sort spinning the truth.

People with ASD can have issues with personal space and social skills. Like a PP explained, he could be on a 12 year old level social skills wise. I can see a 12 year old hitting the master bathroom for a little me time, and not thinking about anything else.

His father needs to tell him that he can only do that in his bedroom. No other place in the house is appropriate. Bathrooms are a shared space, like the kitchen or living room.

At 18, your step son is a sexual being, and masturbation is part of it. Where an NT kid can read between the lines *you don't have quality time in your parent's master bathroom*, someone with ASD might need said to him point blank, "You can masturbated here and only here."

Have your husband go over the sex talk again (has he had that talk with his son?). Go over public/private spaces, age of consent, and no means no. The last thing you want is him getting caught masturbation somewhere else or chatting up a 13 year old.

Instead of spinning all of the above as creepy, spin it that it is a wake up call the son needs the sex talk revisited. Sex talk isn't just the act, but all things sexual.

If you really need some peace of mind, get a lock for your bedroom door. Many parents do that anyway with NT kids at home.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 6:03 pm

Tawaki wrote:

He could have been

-trying on clothes

People spin stuff when embarrassed. Since you are not is bio mom, I can see dad sort spinning the truth.

People with ASD can have issues with personal space and social skills. Like a PP explained, he could be on a 12 year old level social skills wise. I can see a 12 year old hitting the master bathroom for a little me time, and not thinking about anything else.

His father needs to tell him that he can only do that in his bedroom. No other place in the house is appropriate. Bathrooms are a shared space, like the kitchen or living room.

At 18, your step son is a sexual being, and masturbation is part of it. Where an NT kid can read between the lines *you don't have quality time in your parent's master bathroom*, someone with ASD might need said to him point blank, "You can masturbated here and only here."

Have your husband go over the sex talk again (has he had that talk with his son?). Go over public/private spaces, age of consent, and no means no. The last thing you want is him getting caught masturbation somewhere else or chatting up a 13 year old.

Instead of spinning all of the above as creepy, spin it that it is a wake up call the son needs the sex talk revisited. Sex talk isn't just the act, but all things sexual.

If you really need some peace of mind, get a lock for your bedroom door. Many parents do that anyway with NT kids at home.

I only included the bathroom as an acceptable place to masturbate because I thought guys like to masturbate in the shower--isn't that a thing that lots of guys do, mostly because cleanup is much easier in there?

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Tawaki wrote:

He could have been

-trying on clothes

I only included the bathroom as an acceptable place to masturbate because I thought guys like to masturbate in the shower--isn't that a thing that lots of guys do, mostly because cleanup is much easier in there?

Ditto--especially if it is not a shared bathroom, I don't see an issue with it, and even if it is not, it is still an easy clean up.

Betseyev
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2016, 9:16 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I'm just going to admit that this is another one of those step-parent posts that frustrate me. Another person who didn't bother to learn about ASD while she was dating the dad, and now is confused and upset and wants to know how to fix things because she's "creeped out".
*sigh*
I can't even.

Actually, I've done quite a bit of research and reading on the topic. I also met with Chris' therapist, and Jeff and I have worked with our therapist on helping Chris. You made several assumptions in your post that were wrong. You know what assumptions do?

I'm "creeped out" because Chris masturbated in MY BEDROOM. It's possible he was using MY PANTIES to assist in pleasuring himself. You aren't going to shame me for feeling boundaries were crossed.

To all the other posters, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me. Jeff did have the talk with Chris again about the appropriate time and place to do that. I understand that it's very normal for teens (I have a 16 year old son myself so I get it), but it's not okay to do that in someone else's space.

Thank you again to those of you who were helpful and non-judgmental.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

Betseyev wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
*sigh*
I can't even.

Actually, I've done quite a bit of research and reading on the topic. I also met with Chris' therapist, and Jeff and I have worked with our therapist on helping Chris. You made several assumptions in your post that were wrong. You know what assumptions do?

I'm "creeped out" because Chris masturbated in MY BEDROOM. It's possible he was using MY PANTIES to assist in pleasuring himself. You aren't going to shame me for feeling boundaries were crossed.

To all the other posters, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me. Jeff did have the talk with Chris again about the appropriate time and place to do that. I understand that it's very normal for teens (I have a 16 year old son myself so I get it), but it's not okay to do that in someone else's space.

I think it's very reasonable that you were concerned (I would be--I'm a very private person and my private space is sacrosanct, so I get you), and I'm glad you were able to talk about it with your husband and that your husband talked to your step-son. Hopefully moving forward he will have a better understanding of why sticking to one's OWN private space when pleasuring oneself is key when you don't live alone. When he has his own place he can jerk off wherever he wants within that space, but when you live with others you have to be considerate of their privacy.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 7:59 am

18 year old boys masturbate all day and all night. Every chance they get. This is not creepy behavior or autistic behavior. The only autistic thing that happened is that he admitted it. That's something no NT person would never do. An NT person would understand that you don't admit to doing something like that, even if everyone knows full well that you did do it.

How many of us have been called creepy for things that we didn't know would be creepy - because we have a disability, duh!

He's in his house. He's obeying the rule to only do that in private. He missed the unwritten rule to not do that in his step mother's space, but he has autism, not pervert-ism.

Yes, his dad needs to have a talk with him. There are a bunch of ways in which the rules change when the woman in the house isn't your mother. One of them is that you stay out the woman's bedroom at all times.
! Really, please, go talk to someone who can help you work out your own issues

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:02 am

Betseyev wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
*sigh*
I can't even.

People around her ARE going to get all worked up about a post like this. We are worked up because we've faced people like you so many times in life. We've faced negative stereotypes about autistic people being creepy and weird our whole lives, and we've faced people assuming the worst about our behavior when we are really trying our best. And our best is never good enough for some, who will always call us creepy, no matter how hard we try. You can't just post something that inflammatory and expect people to respond calmly.

Please go get help. Not family counseling. Personal counseling.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 4:47 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
Betseyev wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
*sigh*
I can't even.

People around her ARE going to get all worked up about a post like this. We are worked up because we've faced people like you so many times in life. We've faced negative stereotypes about autistic people being creepy and weird our whole lives, and we've faced people assuming the worst about our behavior when we are really trying our best. And our best is never good enough for some, who will always call us creepy, no matter how hard we try. You can't just post something that inflammatory and expect people to respond calmly.

Please go get help. Not family counseling. Personal counseling.

You're being a dick to this woman for no reason and personally insulting her and it's not OK. The questions she asked and concerns she voiced were perfectly understandable and she does not deserve this invective. Your non-helpful insulting comments have been reported.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 5:05 pm

*crickets*

I'm actually not all that afraid. My comments were only not helpful if she doesn't follow them. Which she might not. That's her choice. But I hope the pushback she's getting here will help her reconsider if she finds herself compelled to call autistic people "creepy" again, on a board that is meant to be a safe place for them.