UMMS researchers: immune system, social beahvior linked

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 9:26 am

UMMS researchers discovered a novel link between immune system and social behavior

Quote:
these findings could have great implications for neurological diseases such as autism-spectrum disorders and schizophrenia.

Immune System Controls Brain, Shapes Social Behavior
Quote:
The researchers note that a malfunctioning immune system may be responsible for "social deficits in numerous neurological and psychiatric disorders." But exactly what this might mean for autism and other specific conditions requires further investigation. It is unlikely that any one molecule will be responsible for disease or the key to a cure, the researchers believe. Instead, the causes are likely to be much more complex. But the discovery that the immune system—and possibly germs, by extension—can control our interactions raises many exciting avenues for scientists to explore, both in terms of battling neurological disorders and understanding human behavior.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 4:49 pm

had to get my immune system checked for some specific reason, and while I didn't have what I got checked for, it turned out my immune system is a bit (but not really, like, pathologically) askew.