Rampage Truck Driver was Mentally Ill

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
Being influenced by an ideology and being mentally ill aren't mutually exclusive. If someone has been warped so far from the typical person that they would slaughter innocent people than I'm sure you could find an condition in the DSM that describes that person.

Actually there isn't a specific condition to describe them there are conditions which might lead to one having less concern with others like sociopathy or anti social personality disorder but even those don't directly lead to the kind of slaughter being discussed in this post. Also people have been slaughtering innocent people for ages there is no way to claim every slaughter has been committed by a mentally ill person. If one subscribes to an ideology that encourages such behavior they can buy into it and convince themselves it's what they want to waste their life on all without ever having a diagnosable mental condition.

Well I don't think a lot of these people get checked. These people tend to not trust authority so it would make sense that they avoid getting screened. I don't think we'll ever find out the true nature of this guy but I still thinks he and anyone else who does this is mentally ill. And I have to disagree, had this guy been adequately checked (this is hypothetical only) I believe they would have been able to give him a diagnosis. And I'm only talking about spree killers and mass murderer type people.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
Being influenced by an ideology and being mentally ill aren't mutually exclusive. If someone has been warped so far from the typical person that they would slaughter innocent people than I'm sure you could find an condition in the DSM that describes that person.

No.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
extreme times call for extreme measures.

if our current time is extreme, then all times have always been extreme. it's fear of extreme times that leads to extreme times

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

beneficii wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

No.

Please elaborate.

If someone is so screwed up or detached from the rest of humanity that they murder random people, than yes you could absolutely diagnose them with a specific disorder or group of disorders.

I don't understand the push back on this. I'm not saying that if a person is mentally ill then he will automatically do those kinds of things. There are many different ways to be mentally ill. Most people are relatively harmless mental disorder or not.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:52 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

No.

Please elaborate.

If someone is so screwed up or detached from the rest of humanity that they murder random people, than yes you could absolutely diagnose them with a specific disorder or group of disorders.

I don't understand the push back on this. I'm not saying that if a person is mentally ill then he will automatically do those kinds of things. There are many different ways to be mentally ill. Most people are relatively harmless mental disorder or not.

I'm sorry but you are way off. Murder is not a symptom of any mental disorder or illness, it is a symptom of the human nature of evil. There is a critical distinction to be made between crazy and evil--one can be crazy without being evil, and one can be evil without being crazy. Of course, one can also be both crazy AND evil at the same time, but that does not at all make those terms synonymous.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:57 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

No.

Please elaborate.

I'm sorry but you are way off. Murder is not a symptom of any mental disorder or illness, it is a symptom of the human nature of evil. There is a critical distinction to be made between crazy and evil--one can be crazy without being evil, and one can be evil without being crazy. Of course, one can also be both crazy AND evil at the same time, but that does not at all make those terms synonymous.

Like I said in an earlier post. I'm talking about spree killers and mass murderers. I know a lot of murders are by regular people who've been pushed o'er the edge for some reason or another. That's not what I'm referring to.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

Mass murder is not inherent in any mental illness, it is however an inherent part of radical Islamic extremism

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:07 pm

i think one point of confusion here is that having a recognized mental health condition doesn't mean it's permanent and doesn't mean "crazy" either. crazy is the exception. nearly everyone is diagnosable with something, or was diagnosable recently or will be in a near future, but just isn't diagnosed because it's not relevant enough. just like no person ever lives an entire lifespan without any physical illnesses

there are many disorders in the manuals that almost no one has ever heard of. defining what is a mental disorder and what isn't is always subjective to a large extent anyway (the classic example being that homosexuality used to be a diagnosable mental illness just a few decades ago)

killing a bunch of random people (and yourself, while you're at it) for a crazy cause is obviously an insane thing to do. it would be entirely possible for the academic community to decide that "killing-spree disorder" should be included in the manuals. it's just that there's not much of a point... so whether doing something insane automatically means you're insane is a matter of semantics, and whether it's something diagnosable or not is a matter of convention

that being said... even if we're talking only about actually "crazy" people, dangerous ones are a minority

Last edited by anagram on 18 Jul 2016, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:07 pm

I'm on the left and I blame ISIS.

I don't blame mental illness but a case could be made that his violent tendencies were not adequately addressed. Whenever these discussions come up I wish mental illness would be dropped and simply replaced with violent behavior/violent fantasies (and by violent fantasies I mean fantasies that they want to act out, not merely thoughts). That would be more accurate and less stigmatizing.

Also curious if he was on any psych meds... some of these offenders I believe are pushed over the edge due to bad reactions.

But yes I blame ISIS and so does all or most of the left. Splitting hairs.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

Anagram,

I agree totally.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

No.

Please elaborate.

What disorders would they have to have?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 11:10 pm

Here is the DSM-5's definition of a mental disorder (emphasis added):

Quote:
A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above.

I don't think it is at all clear that these spree killers all have mental disorders.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 11:17 pm

Quote:
In fact, the sort of young, troubled males who seem to psychiatrists most likely to open fire in a school--identified because they have made credible threats--often don't fit any diagnosis, experts say. They might have elements of paranoia, deep resentment or narcissism that are noticeable but don't add up to a specific disorder, according to strict criteria. And there's no good evidence that mental health treatment would have made a noticeable difference.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/04/healt ... .html?_r=0

EDIT: I like this article's ending:

Quote:
Questions about mass killings inevitably follow mass killings. These questions are appropriate to ask but often a distraction; urges to destroy the world and everyone in it are just as often rooted in the darkest corners of minds that, if warped, are not disabled.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 12:07 am

Beneficii

I appreciate your explanation. I guess this comes down to how you define mentally ill. Psychology is not a hard science so there will always be a constant debate on these issues, which is a good thing. I was unaware of that statement. I would say that this topic exceeds just being socially deviant.

I'm a bit tired at the moment. I'll try to explain myself a bit better if I can remember.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 3:07 pm

I agree with some of the posters here like Jacob and Sweetleaf...

After every terrorist/murder/crime people suddenly become mentally ill or religious and start praying in jail they should cut the crap seriously, I've seen in with my own eyes too many times.. Especially a postmortem diagnosis is extremely convienient since there's nobody to contradict that. How can you contradict the "fact" (!?) Einstein had Aspergers?

I don't know whether the terrorist was officially dxed before the bombing but know this ISIS/radical Islam preaching is exactly like brainwash - and if brainwash equals mental illness don't try to sugar coat it I know alot of mentally ill people if some shooter or criminal had AS I doubt that means AS is required to such... atrocities...

Nor do I think all mentally ill people should be locked or sedated, it's purely per individual. You'd be surprised I know alot of mentally ill people who had ups and downs still they are functioning quite well, it's not right to take away their freedom just because of a 'tag'.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 3:16 pm

This is happening again and again and again....

Quote:
Translation:
Black hole
After all these Mohammadian crimes and massacres committed by his followers in east ,west south,and north, and after all this bloody islamic history since Mohammad to this moment, the Mohammad comes lecture us that the Islamic terrorism is now a (scapegoat) excuse for psychopaths, and there's no connection between Islam and these crimes.....very nice, but why these psychopaths, sadists and criminals didn't take Buddhism or Hinduism or Judaism or Christianity as an excuse for their dirty crimes and their ideas, and why Islam in specific became a black hole that attracts all criminals of the world, what are the mohammadian teachings that allow them to do so?
Suha from Tunis

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0&t=320545

As I said in another post, Islam can't fool the world forever.[/quote]