Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 5:42 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Any global governance would mean global decisions meaning there would be millions/billions that disagree with whatever decision was made. You make the assumption that what is good for one nation is good for another when it's not, what's in our interests might not be in the global interest and if you disenfranchise people then you make violence inevitable. It cannot work, it is but a dream for the megalomaniacs of history to crave world domination.

This is absurdly simplistic. Not every situation is a zero sum game. Trade often creates Win/Win situations. There are many times that there are conflicts of interest but there are also times when interests align and other times when reasonable compromises can be reached.

There is nothing special about international relations that is not true about relations between individuals, families, clans or tribes, to some degree. Sometimes people lose, sometimes they win and often they find satisfactory middle ground. That living under government means sometimes giving up the absolute win is not a reason to reject government.

This thread is not about the EU, though I do see the "global government = bad" premise raised by zealots in that debate.

Perhaps the EU needs to be tossed aside and something else raised in it's place. But not having any kind of government at a higher level than Nations seems completely mad. The UN may be terrible in all sorts of ways, but it is very good to have it as a place for international issues to get discussed outside of direct nation to nation meetings, though the anti-world government people always attack it on principle.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 5:48 pm

Perhaps the proponents for a global government should identify and cite the likely benefits of such a government. Attributing only vagaries to such a government, like one of the moralistically bad episodes of Star Trek, serves no one in this discussion.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Perhaps the proponents for a global government should identify and cite the likely benefits of such a government. Attributing only vagaries to such a government, like one of the moralistically bad episodes of Star Trek, serves no one in this discussion.

A world government that is democratic and with human rights in it's constitution could ensure world peace and freedom for all. Not easy to create such a government, I admit. It would also allow to better tackle global issues.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 8:52 pm

World Government = no place to hide. No, thank you. I will take a pass on World Government.

In the entire history of mankind there are only two kinds of government: Bad Government and Worse Government. There has never been, nor will there ever be a Good Government.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 6:59 am

Jacoby wrote:
Any global governance would mean global decisions meaning there would be millions/billions that disagree with whatever decision was made. You make the assumption that what is good for one nation is good for another when it's not, what's in our interests might not be in the global interest and if you disenfranchise people then you make violence inevitable. It cannot work, it is but a dream for the megalomaniacs of history to crave world domination.

We are having that problem right now in the USA with "federalism." How many things are being mandated by DC, but what does the federal government know about the needs of individual states or communities? Pretty much, nothing. "Top down" solutions rarely fix anything. The "super state" is only supposed to deal with those issues best dealt with on that level. Everything else is to be reserved to the states and the people to deal with on their own.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:10 am

If we look at the rationale for government from an economic perspective, the justification for government is the provision of public goods and the management of collective action problems.

As such, several issues can be identified which could warrant some sort of global government:

- Nuclear Proliferation
- Global Warming
- International Law (including Maritime Law, Laws of Aviation, Laws of Trade & Laws of War)
- Pandemics
- Extinction-Event Meteor strikes
- Alien Invasions
- Invasions from Outworld by the hordes of Shao Kahn

Some regional issues may become so severe that they may de facto require a global response... The civil war in Syria, for instance, is regional in scope, but the refugee flows resulting from it has repercussions far beyond the borders of Syria...

However - there are already organizations in place to deal with many of these issues - IAEA, WTO and the UN (with the UN having several sub-organizations like the WHO). However, only the UN has a structure that resembles anything close to a "world government" - and an individual UN member can technically always invoke the right to self-defense wrt. article 51 when things get really messy...

So while there may not be a world government per se... it can be said that there is world governance... Incomplete, fragmented and flawed, of course, but not entirely ineffectual, either...

EDIT: Typos and grammar.

Last edited by GGPViper on 18 Jul 2016, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:19 am

I believe individual nations should be able to maintain their sovereignty, and not have it interfered with by a "world government."

I really liked it when a Spanish person could emigrate to England for a job, and live there (under English laws). I believe strongly in cultural exchange. I just think it makes people better, over all. A person who is nationalistic and suspicious of other cultures tends to have a narrow view of things; whereas a person who wants to know other cultures tends to be a person with a wider scope of viewpoints--and therefore a person who can reflect upon all sides of an argument.

However, if we dissolve the sovereignty of nations via a "world government," we would lose the flavor of cultures. We need to maintain cultures, and not homogenize the world.

However, in my opinion, there should be a worldwide entity which deals with such things as genocide, the use of nuclear weapons, and other situations which might have dire worldwide consequences. To arbitrate matters BETWEEN NATIONS, rather than matters which occur WITHIN nations.

We need sovereign nations--but we also need an entity which oversees nations in order to prevent excesses.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jul 2016, 8:25 am

My position largely echoes Viper's.

I'm in favour of world government, but it should be a small government, only dealing with issues that absolutely require international co-operation where the market is incapable of properly solving it.

The same should be true of all other forms of government. National governments should only deal with things that require national co-operation and where the market has failed, for example. In general, things work better when the government is as hands-off as possible, just providing protection and security and such.

I don't really buy "sovereignty" and "identity" arguments.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:28 am

I don't see any reason why it isn't possible or why it would necessarily be a bad thing. People always seem to think it would be a totalitarian, dystopian type of government, but that seems to be more of an assumption than an idea based on logic.

Just from an evolutionary standpoint, it seems we're evolving to come together in larger and larger groups by merging the smaller ones. So it certainly seems like we'd continue on this way until it is just one big group.

And I'm pretty sure the US colonies, before they united, did not like the idea for very similar reasons that people don't like the idea of an international government. Yet it seems to have worked out fine (though I suppose that's debatable).

I think theoretically it's possible, and I'm not averse to the idea, but I could not see it happening anytime in the near or even distant future.

- Sherlock Holmes

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:35 am

GGPViper wrote:
...several issues can be identified which could warrant some sort of global government:

- Nuclear Proliferation
- Global Warming
- International Law (including Maritime Law, Laws of Aviation, Laws of Trade & Laws of War)
- Pandemics
- Extinction-Event Meteor strikes
- Alien Invasions
- Invasions from Outworld by the hordes of Shao Kahn....

As you admit within your message, international treaties already exist, and govern much of the interactions, including those about pandemics, between nations. But, there is no reason to believe that such treaties would have a need to continue in a world governed by a global government.

The use of nuclear weapons is a valid concern, but, having the global government govern such weapons reminds me of the phrase "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." In other words, if the proposed global government decided to use such weapons against, say, "the region formerly known as the nation of Canada" because its citizens refuse to finance the extraction of its petroleum products in one or more of its nature preserves or native lands, how would the former nation of Canada defend itself against such a high-stakes debate about the wishes of its local citizens versus the self-appointed global leaders living in, say, "the region formerly known as the nation of Australia?"

The remainder of your likely benefits of global government appear to be so far afield of reality that they deserve little attention.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 8:39 am

The_Walrus wrote:
...I'm in favour of world government, but it should be a small government....

And, how would such a global government police itself to remain "small?" Nations (if they still existed) would have no influence over the government that would end up being the sole arbiter and the sole defender.

If such a global government existed, would it operate by popular vote? If it did, wouldn't adherents of Christianity rule the day, because they represent 2.2 billion humans far more than the 1.6 billion humans who are Muslim? If I were Jewish, these facts would concern me no matter how much I trusted the idea of a global government. And, what about racial demographics in global voting? Would gender discrepancies tilt world leadership away from fair representation?

The global government wouldn't likely allow such aggregated representation because it will be self-appointed, not elected -- forever. So, all "outsiders" to the global government would be politically and socially annulled.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:00 am

There should be provision for elected officials within a worldwide entity.

Like I said, I don't believe in a worldwide government--but I do believe in an arbitrator for international disputes (a MUCH better version than the United Nations). The UN is way too faction-ridden to be a really viable entity.

Why can't these arbitrators be elected, rather than appointed?

The sovereignty of nations, as presently constituted, should not be infringed with under the worldwide entity. No power should be granted to this entity to interfere with merely national, rather than international, concerns.

If there is a genocide occurring, something must be done to stop it. Screw sovereignty, in this instance.

If a nation is evidently proceeding towards using a nuclear weapon, that must be stopped, too.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
...Why can't these arbitrators be elected, rather than appointed...?

Are the delegates and staffers at the United Nations elected by the citizens of their nations? That is all we need to know about whether the proposed global government will be representative or self-appointed. If this is how the prototype is managed, imagine the real thing.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If there is a genocide occurring, something must be done to stop it. Screw sovereignty, in this instance.

Well, then an international body with more powers than the UN would actually need to be founded.

The previously mentioned article 51 actually means that a country can claim protection from UN intervention even while perpetrating a genocide - as long as the genocide takes place within the country.

This was the key issue wrt. the NATO intervention in Kosovo... Even the general secretary of the UN at the time - Kofi Annan - actually expressed some degree of support for the NATO intervention... even though it was in clear violation of UN rules:

Kofi Annan wrote:
As you will recall, my reaction to the decision of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to take enforcement action without seeking explicit Security Council authorization was twofold: I identified the Security Council as having the primary responsibility for maintaining international peace and security. With equal emphasis, I also stated that it was the rejection of a political settlement by the Yugoslav authorities which made this action necessary, and that, indeed, there "are times when the use of force may be legitimate in the pursuit of peace".

My regret then -- and now -- is that the Council was unable to unify these two equally compelling interests -- and two equally compelling priorities -- of the international community. For this much is clear: unless the Security Council is restored to its preeminent position as the sole source of legitimacy on the use of force, we are on a dangerous path to anarchy. But equally importantly, unless the Security Council can unite around the aim of confronting massive human rights violations and crimes against humanity on the scale of Kosovo, then we will betray the very ideals that inspired the founding of the United Nations.

Source: https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/ ... 38833.html

In fact, neither the Great Leap Forward (which killed the largest number of people, vastly surpassing the Holocaust) nor the Cambodian Genocide (which killed the largest percentage of a country's population) could legally warrant UN military intervention, as none of these events posed a threat to the sovereignty of another nation state... But if a single bullet is fired across the border between two countries (regardless if anyone is hit by it), then the UN can act...

This is perhaps the single largest flaw in the current UN legal framework...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 9:31 am

This worldwide entity should have only judicial, rather than executive, powers.

And the members of this entity should be elected via worldwide suffrage.

If a genocide is occurring, then the worldwide entity should have the power to act executive-like.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Jul 2016, 10:21 am

If a genocide is occurring then it is up the peoples to stop it as it always has, nobody has ever stopped these genocides besides nations and peoples. There can be no world government without worldwide tyranny because world government mean nothing without worldwide authority, political powers grows out of the barrel of the gun. These supernational bodies are a joke, do you think NATO acts independently of the interests of the United States? Does the EU act independently of the interests of Germany? The Soviets were always a Russian dominated state.

How can you have worldwide government without worldwide liberal democracy? It's totally ridiculous as an idea and we've seen ourselves what happens when you force non-western peoples into western style liberal democracies, they states do not work and quickly degenerate. Communist China makes up like a quarter of the population on this planet, Islam makes a similar margin, like a billion people are illiterate, most marriages are arranged, our little slice of Western Civilization is an exception not the rule and any move to 'evening things out' will amount to destruction of Western Civilization.