Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for staying motivated as far as exercise and eating well? I've always had trouble watching what I eat, and I've never been in what you might call terrific shape. I go through spurts where I exercise and try to improve my diet, but then depression, stress, and anxiety always end up hitting. I say "screw it" and end up going back to my old habits pretty easily. It's hard to stay focused during times when food is the only enjoyable thing in my day.

Anyone have any ideas for how to stay on track?

sunnyinaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2016, 4:52 am

When you're fit it's easy to stay fit but when you're not it's hard to get there.

Start off small. I find a squat challenge works well. There's a website- 200 squats. You will see gains quickly, which will inspire you. Swimming also will give you results if you push yourself.

Reward yourself. A healthy reward. Maybe something like a massage for each week that you exercise 3 times, to start off with.

There is a saying which goes something like the best exercise is the one you will do. What exercise do you enjoy? I even love putting music on and dancing. It's great exercise.

amdedinboro

18 Jul 2016, 8:49 am

sunnyinaus wrote:
When you're fit it's easy to stay fit but when you're not it's hard to get there.

Start off small. I find a squat challenge works well. There's a website- 200 squats. You will see gains quickly, which will inspire you. Swimming also will give you results if you push yourself.

Reward yourself. A healthy reward. Maybe something like a massage for each week that you exercise 3 times, to start off with.

There is a saying which goes something like the best exercise is the one you will do. What exercise do you enjoy? I even love putting music on and dancing. It's great exercise.

Thank you! :) That all seems like good advice. Swimming in particular is something I've been meaning to get into. I really enjoy it, but not having regular access to a pool is a big of a hangup. I also jog a lot, but all it takes is a couple of days for me going without it to get totally lazy and stop going. I think I might be okay exercise wise if I had better impulse control with food, though, so that might be just as significant for me to work on.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm

I started small.

5 minutes on stationary bike
Which 5 years later led to spin class 1 to 3 times a week

2-4 laps swimming that led to
20 - 24 laps (1 to 4 times a week)
in 2 years.

It may sound lame - but I use stickers.

Me - 62 years 8O

amdedinboro

18 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

drlaugh wrote:
I started small.

5 minutes on stationary bike
Which 5 years later led to spin class 1 to 3 times a week

2-4 laps swimming that led to
20 - 24 laps (1 to 4 times a week)
in 2 years.

It may sound lame - but I use stickers.

Me - 62 years 8O

That's very encouraging, thank you ^_^
The thing with classes and all that is that my anxiety holds me back, particularly when it comes to physical activity around others. I imagine that having that sort of group encouragement is helpful for sticking to things.

I might have to look into the local pool soon. If I can get awake and motivated early enough I might be able to get in a few laps before they get busy.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

YMCA have "low" rates in my mid west neck of the States.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2016, 4:44 pm

1) Buy a full-length mirror (if you don't already have one)

2) Stand naked in front of it for a few minutes each day (don't just cast a passing glance; actually look at yourself).

Being faced with yourself is possibly the best motivator there is.

sunnyinaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2016, 3:37 am

Food wise- never go to the supermarket hungry! Only buy healthy food, then you won't have unhealthy food in the house. Carry healthy snacks with you so you don't get hungry and succumb to unhealthy snacks, and take packed lunches to work.

Substitutions- when you crave sugar, eat fruit or dried fruit.
When you crave salt/ fat, eat nuts.

Sai

24 Jul 2016, 11:28 am

Have a goal or a target to work towards. I have short, medium, and long term goals and everything I do is to work towards them (though that doesn't mean I don't deviate on bad days!) I also make a note of what days I do exercise on and those I don't as a way of maintaining objective data, and shaming myself into taking less days off! I suppose that's a bit like drlaugh's stickers? I used to do the same thing with fruit and veg!

ferrychristian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2016, 11:55 pm

Motivation is very important , while doing exercises, specially self motivation is necessary. so I have an idea to get motivated.
These are some few ideas :
1) Wear a t-shirt on which quotes are written related fitness and health.
2) Wear a Cap
3) Wear a wristband, on which quotes are written over it.
I am a fitness freak, and I wear wristband, with a quote" stay fit & look good"
actually all the gym members wear this, these little things keep us motivated.
I ll suggest you one online store of wristbands http://www.wristbandbuddy.com from where you can variety of wristbands. You can try it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 12:12 am

amdedinboro wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for staying motivated as far as exercise and eating well? I've always had trouble watching what I eat, and I've never been in what you might call terrific shape. I go through spurts where I exercise and try to improve my diet, but then depression, stress, and anxiety always end up hitting. I say "screw it" and end up going back to my old habits pretty easily. It's hard to stay focused during times when food is the only enjoyable thing in my day.

Anyone have any ideas for how to stay on track?

I think many times when people try to make some positive change in their life, they set their standards for themselves too high, and fail because they operate at an unsustainable level. They try to make themselves a perfect person.

Try not to make too many changes in your life at once. You can significantly improve your health just by walking at a brisk pace for 30-40 minutes, or an hour if you are so inclined, 5 days per week. This is easy because, you just set a time you go, and regardless of most other things that happen that day, at that time, you put on a pair of walking shoes and go. The rest of that day, you don't have to even think about it.

Once that becomes an ingrained part of your schedule, make another improvement if you want. For example, maybe you want to add an exercise, or maybe you want to eat more vegetables.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 10:31 am

Chronos and others have good ideas.

Small changes over time were what got me started.

Even with weight and diet changes my genes work against me on cholesterol.

Adding more things like cucumbers was easier than giving up the next thing...
Cheese chunk or string
One is too many and a thousand not enough for some of my trigger foods.
Humming one choice at a time... 8)