John Elder Robinson on the direction of Autism research

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 1:52 am

http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2016/07/thoughts-on-direction-of-autism-research.html

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

I forwarded this to my PI and a collaborator. Maybe it will nudge them to writing a grant proposal.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 5:10 pm

John Elder Robison wrote:
Sixty-some years have passed since autism was recognized as a neurological difference. In that time countless child therapies have been developed but virtually nothing has been done for adults.

That's so true.
By focusing on medicine we have failed to support technology based aids that could be delivering real value today.

I think the medical breakthroughs have been pretty good. I know he mentioned headhphones, but I'm not not sure what other technology based aids he is referring to.
The first step is to accept that autism is not what doctors thought it was, ten years ago. In fact it’s not any one thing. It’s many things.

I don't understand what he means here. ^ That sounds like saying there are many different kinds of cancers, which is true, but doesn't mean they are treated differently.
That means recognizing and supporting autistic adults, throughout the lifespan. Autism is not a childhood issue that goes away. It is a lifetime condition.

I agree that autism needs to be viewed as a lifetime condition, but I'm not sure why he draws the distinction between medical and technological support with regard to adults.