Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 12:14 pm

Does anyone not like the word ''adult''? Like a lot of words I dislike, it depends on the context it is being used with, but in some contexts I just don't like the word, like when it's being used as a criticism, because I don't take criticism very well (it feels like a personal attack to me). So somebody saying ''you're an adult, Joe90, so you should be doing A or B...'' I'd rather use the term ''grown-up'', like ''you are grown up, Joe90, you should be doing A or B...''

I know I am an adult, but I was called an adult at 16 years old (even though I was the youngest in my family), and back then that word felt very harsh for me because I wasn't mature for 16 anyway and you're legally still a child at 16, and although I have grown-up now, the feeling the word ''adult'' brings with it still affects me in the same way.

My uncle seems to love that word, and uses it all the time. Like say if he was going away on holiday and wanted to get somebody to feed his rabbits, he'd most likely say ''Joe90, you can feed my rabbits, you're an adult woman, you're not a child'' - even though I had not even said anything verbally or non-verbally because obviously I wouldn't have answered the question before he asked it if I didn't know it was coming. Any other person would just say ''would you mind feeding my rabbits while I'm gone, Joe90?'' without having to add all the extra stuff we already know and does not need to be pointed out every time he asks me to do something, when he clearly knows I would most likely say yes anyway.
Maybe that's another reason why I hate the word ''adult''. My uncle loves that word.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 3:03 pm

Hm, yeah, I usually say 'grown-up'.

Hearing it used in the context you mentioned sounds particularly annoying.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 10:38 pm

Your uncle's use of the word seems transparently manipulative to me - he is trying to coerce you into some form of action or behaviour by claiming this is what an "adult" would do, assuming that you wish to be viewed as an adult and would be uncomfortable being viewed as immature or childish. Thus, if you refuse, you look immature because he has already set it up as an either/or choice by stipulating the "adult" course of action.
People pull this shite on me all the time, so I can spot manipulation and powerplay quicker than most can due it.
I would likely respond "yes, I am an adult, and that means I have the right to say no."

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 4:50 am

The NT assumption of adulthood is that you have acquired a certain skill- and behaviour-set.

Also, possibly appropriate (I know it is for me, sometimes)...