Trans students made to wear green bracelets

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 5:06 pm

In at least one school, transgender students must wear green bracelets so that staff can identify them as transgender:

Quote:
The Wisconsin lawsuit notes other problems with how the school treated Whitaker. He was repeatedly called by his birth name and referred to with female pronouns by school staff, wasn’t allowed to run for prom king (until the school received a petition and media scrutiny), and wasn’t allowed to lodge with boys during school trips. The district also requires staff to make Whitaker and other transgender students wear green bracelets identifying them as transgender to staff — which caused Whitaker to worry about stigmatization and harassment, according to his lawyers. The school eventually instructed security guards to ensure Whitaker didn’t use the boys restroom.

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2016 ... ral-suits/

This is clearly meant to stigmatize.

I don't see how the idea is any different in principle from making Jews wear this:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm

Like those yellow stars, those green bracelets are meant to turn people into outcasts and enemies.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 9:51 am

Exactly what I thought when I read the title. Yellow stars.

I have an academic paper somewhere where an autism mom wishes aloud that autistic people would turn a different color or have some kind of marker so that one could tell when a behavior was autism-related and when it was because of something else.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 11:16 am

Before you are describing this as "yellow star", please remember that the US is not nazi Germany, and the bracelet is not implying: "this person is not a person at all, feel free to do as you please".

Just,... Let's not overdo the nazi-comparison.
It'll wear out, and we will need it again in the future.