Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

alobaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2016, 1:26 pm

I am 15 and I need a job, but I'm autistic and I'm not good with talking to people, especially those I don't know. Does anyone know any good jobs that an autistic person could get?

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:08 pm

alobaby wrote:
I am 15 and I need a job, but I'm autistic and I'm not good with talking to people, especially those I don't know. Does anyone know any good jobs that an autistic person could get?

how about one thats more of a back end job? like stock or something? or perhaps filing, my sister does that, she photocopies peoples files and organises them, she is an NT, but it still does seem like a good job for those of us on the spectrum, as its very little to do with talking to people.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

windinthewillows5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2016, 11:14 am

I'm an Aspie, and I'm considering applying for a job at a bookstore. Maybe there is an independent bookstore with few customers near you where you can work? That way you don't have to be put in anxious situations and you can keep to yourself a little more if you like. I'm the same as you and am looking for a job that doesn't require too much interaction! :D :D

"If awkwardness were currency, I'd be Oprah f****** Winfrey." - Grace Helbig

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 146 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 83 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2016, 12:28 pm

When I was young, I found that working a cash register at a grocery store was not as terrifying as I had imagined. There is an order or procedure to follow and the interactions would always end in a just few minutes. If something got awkward, well, just move on to the next person as quickly as possible. I used my weirdness to try to make angry people smile. It was actually fun.

After I turned 18, I took night positions in warehouse jobs for better money. I eventually got into lithographic printing where my attention to detail was praised and rewarded above everything else.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:12 pm

I'm a student and I have a job in a supermarket. I work on produce and sometimes have to go on the tills; I don't have to speak to too many people and I generally seem to get away with the fact that I can't really make eye contact or small talk. I think people are more forgiving of this when you're young because they think you're just rude or bored lol :D . My bosses and colleagues like working with me because I am very efficient and I don't stand around talking, so that's a benefit of my HFA I guess.

Recently I have started doing extra shifts in the human resources office, since it's the summer holidays. One of my managers chose me to do it because he says I think very efficiently and I appreciate patterns and precision etc.. He doesn't know about my autism but it really is a perfect job for someone with my psychology. So, if you can get a shop job (a classic first job!) just remember that your bosses will see what you excel at just as much (if not more) than what you find challenging. I initially thought my HFA would be a problem, and whilst I do get overwhelmed by the lights/sounds/customers/mess on occasion, once I got into things I found I was pretty well suited to the job.

Good luck! :D