Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2016, 2:57 pm

Hello. I was diagnosed with ASD - level 1 about three months ago, in April 2016. I'm 16 years-old. My psychiatrist was the one who was like "I think you're on the autism spectrum" so then I got evaluated by someone who knows autism, and what do you know, I have ASD. For me, I wish I was diagnosed with something younger because I had a lot more trouble in school then than now. But I am happy I figured it out before I was 18 because I feel like it would be harder than it is now.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

Gacrsgrant
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

11 or 12 but I think 12

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

I was diagnosed when I was 3 years old in 1999; Although life for me has gotten better since early childhood, my differences in not being able to socialize at the normal level and participate in mainstream activities at a regular place has caused a tremendous blow to my self confidence and self esteem. I was actually extremely low functioning as a child, and it took a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication to become high functioning.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2016, 10:07 pm

"And i though my parents were in Denial"

I love my mother but she is a very clueless woman

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2016, 10:07 pm

"And i though my parents were in Denial"

I love my mother but she is a very clueless woman

Sai

24 Jul 2016, 8:24 am

I was diagnosed earlier this year - aged 31. I knew something was "off" from about age 12 and tried various doctors from age 17-20 but was misdiagnosed. It wasn't until I had 3 separate people suggest AS in my twenties that I actually went and read up on it. I decided to get it "made official" last year.

Like a lot of other have said - I wish I had known earlier. It would have saved a lot of suffering.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 8:36 am

At 10 with aspergers. In denial. And anger. :lol:
Again at 14. With frustration. And confusion.

But those helpless years are over.

I don't know if I have to get a 3rd diagnosis at all due to diagnostic changes. :| And this country is pretty much outdated.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 9:32 am

lordfakename wrote:
19. Post-High School life did not go smoothly

Same, school life sucked and so does post high school life for the most part ...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 11:08 am

Age 55 by a clinicion with 30 years experience including adults.

Pretty much explained why key turning points in my life happened the way they did. Finding out my charactor flaws were really my natural traits I was born with has been quite helpful for self esteem. Antiipating situations that will be stressful ahead of time or just having an explainiation for them has eased the stress.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skywatcher1891
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2016, 12:24 pm

A few weeks ago at the age of 35. I had often suspected there was "something" through my teens (possibly before). I saw a documentary several years ago about ASD with my partner and there was a link to an online AQ test which we both tried. Her result was "normal" while mine was very high. We laughed about it and she said I had clearly done it wrong so did it based on her knowledge of me, getting the same result. I mentioned this to a GP who said definitely not, so I left it. I had periods of anxiety always precipitated by an upcoming change and, last year, I came across the test again and asked a different GP for a referral which he agreed immediately. The psychiatrist said he didn't think I had ASD and treated me for anxiety. He eventually referred me for CBT and at the first session the psychologist (who said he has ASD) said he thought I probably did have it. Both now agree it is the right diagnosis but they're not proposing to do a formal test as they're happy that's what it now is and full tests are apparently necessary for people with more complex mental health problems where an ASD diagnosis isn't so easy.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2016, 3:45 pm

3 1/2 years of age.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 4:11 pm

I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder when I was 3 years old, which was 1995.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

Was probably diagnosed with Infantile Autism (then Kanner Syndrome) just before I started year 1 of school so 6-7 years old.

My diagnosis was deleted from medical records or rather just the name of the diagnosis remains without any supporting documentation. So in this sense and in the eyes of the government and health care associations, I don't have autism anymore, and as the name of the diagnosis suggests, they will always assume it was only a condition affecting children.

Except I still have anxiety, depression, hyposensitivity, social difficulties and a personality similar to that of an individual with AS. I have no way of proving these to a medical professional since every day is different, so they would probably need to film my life to get an understanding of it - in which case would be a hell of an invasion of privacy which doesn't do good with my paranoia from time to time.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 3:25 pm

It was shortly after my third birthday, around February or March 1997.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

I was very withdrawn from others. I had an obsession with rocks as well, and I also preferred to just swing. A lot of the kids left me out, and they also made fun of me. Teachers even said that I did things that would 'egg' the students on that they didn't understand about me. I also didn't talk until like four years old either. I took speech therapy to improve my communication and can speak fully now. I just have a hard time expressing myself sometimes.

I was diagnosed with autism at the age of twelve years old.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:28 pm

Unofficially diagnosed in, like, 1998 or something. I was 19 or 20. I was careful to answer the questions "correctly" (as opposed to honestly) and came up with an IQ bordering on retardation but neurotypical.

Officially diagnosed in 2011, at the age of 33. I was finally interested in knowing the truth, so I told the truth. Not surprised by the result.

Sometimes I wish I had known younger. I would not have tried to have a normal life. But I can hardly begrudge not having information that wasn't there to get.

Sometimes I'm glad I didn't know. I'm damaged enough as it is.