Is BLM really talking about black-on-black crime?

Page 7 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 12:25 am

The cops suck.

BLM are annoying.

/thread

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The reason why I know there's a "black experience" is because black people I know have conveyed this "experience" to me.

Not because of white liberal propaganda.

Why are you putting it in quotations then? That's their personal experience that they told you. That is not "black experience" any more than my experience is "white experience". I'm not trying to invalidate any individual's experience, because certainly some people experience mistreatment from police. I'm saying the idea of one person's experience being the experience of an entire race is BS.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Blacks have conveyed this message to you, over and over again, but you seemingly only listened when sympathetic whites also aired their grievances.
And black cops being especially hard on black criminals is hardly the same as white cops harassing innocent blacks just because they think the color of their skin makes them guilty of something.

Oh, have they? Are you trying to say that BLM speaks for all blacks? They don't.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_co ... ves_matter

It seems a majority of minorities prefer the phrase "all lives matter", a phrase which most BLM activists claim is racist. So how does that work? Are they denying the "black experience" too?

Some blacks are strongly against BLM and would agree largely with me. So are they racist against blacks too? Or is it maybe that they are smart enough to see the BS?

And as far as the cops go, you are literally saying that if a white cop does it, then it's racist, but if it's a black cop, he's just "being hard on them". Explain to me how that is not racist. You act like you know the inner thoughts of white cops. You don't. There is no evidence that they are racist, or any more prone to use excessive force than black cops.

- Sherlock Holmes

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:26 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Blacks have conveyed this message to you, over and over again, but you seemingly only listened when sympathetic whites also aired their grievances.
And black cops being especially hard on black criminals is hardly the same as white cops harassing innocent blacks just because they think the color of their skin makes them guilty of something.

Oh, have they? Are you trying to say that BLM speaks for all blacks? They don't.

It seems a majority of minorities prefer the phrase "all lives matter", a phrase which most BLM activists claim is racist. So how does that work? Are they denying the "black experience" too?

Some blacks are strongly against BLM and would agree largely with me. So are they racist against blacks too? Or is it maybe that they are smart enough to see the BS?

And as far as the cops go, you are literally saying that if a white cop does it, then it's racist, but if it's a black cop, he's just "being hard on them". Explain to me how that is not racist. You act like you know the inner thoughts of white cops. You don't. There is no evidence that they are racist, or any more prone to use excessive force than black cops.

Regardless if not every black American supports Black Lives Matter or not, the fact remains, few of them feel that they are given a fair shake by law enforcement, because they don't.
And no, not every white cop is a racist, but those who are make public relations with the black community that much more difficult.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The shooting of that therapist - and the subsequent cuffing of him as he bled in the street - is proof of trigger happy racist cops.

No, it isn't. It proves that this particular cop is dishonest, bad at his job and a lousy decision maker in pressure situations, anything beyond that is supposition.

Quote:
And yes, cops randomly harass blacks, as the Minnesota man who was shot in front of his daughter and fiance had been stopped time and again for piddling nonsense that no white driver would have to worry about.

Nobody is contending that people are harassed by cops on extremely tenuous grounds, but the claim that white drivers are exempt from such treatment is simply not true.

The underlying problem that creates these tensions, as has been pointed out several times already, is poverty. Black people are disproportionately represented in crime statistics and this informs policy for law enforcement. I'd much prefer the socioeconomic issues be addressed than see cops painted with a broad brush in order to suit an ill-conceived political narrative that only serves to increase said tensions.

L_holmes wrote:
There is no evidence that they are racist, or any more prone to use excessive force than black cops.

Or Hispanic cops, whose minority status is seemingly plastic to expedience.

Anyway, probably the best answer to your original post is that intra-community violence data runs counter to the political narrative that BLM supporters would like you to listen to and believe.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:33 am

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The shooting of that therapist - and the subsequent cuffing of him as he bled in the street - is proof of trigger happy racist cops.

No, it isn't. It proves that this particular cop is dishonest, bad at his job and a lousy decision maker in pressure situations, anything beyond that is supposition.

Quote:
And yes, cops randomly harass blacks, as the Minnesota man who was shot in front of his daughter and fiance had been stopped time and again for piddling nonsense that no white driver would have to worry about.

Nobody is contending that people are harassed by cops on extremely tenuous grounds, but the claim that white drivers are exempt from such treatment is simply not true.

The underlying problem that creates these tensions, as has been pointed out several times already, is poverty. Black people are disproportionately represented in crime statistics and this informs policy for law enforcement. I'd much prefer the socioeconomic issues be addressed than see cops painted with a broad brush in order to suit an ill-conceived political narrative that only serves to increase said tensions.

L_holmes wrote:
There is no evidence that they are racist, or any more prone to use excessive force than black cops.

Or Hispanic cops, whose minority status is seemingly plastic to expedience.

Anyway, probably the best answer to your original post is that intra-community violence data runs counter to the political narrative that BLM supporters would like you to listen to and believe.

Then you think that both cops at the scene were just lousy at their jobs? Because his partner didn't make a peep about either the shooting, or the subsequent cuffing of the therapist. No, I can't see into wither cops' heads, but as they treated that therapist as the suspect, it's hard to imagine there being any other reason than race.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Regardless if not every black American supports Black Lives Matter or not, the fact remains, few of them feel that they are given a fair shake by law enforcement, because they don't.
And no, not every white cop is a racist, but those who are make public relations with the black community that much more difficult.

Prove it, then. If it's so obvious that this happens, show me the evidence. It can't be anecdotal, it has to be real data. I know you can't do it, because it's not there.

- Sherlock Holmes

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Then you think that both cops at the scene were just lousy at their jobs? Because his partner didn't make a peep about either the shooting, or the subsequent cuffing of the therapist.

Where did I state or imply that either cop was 'just' lousy at their job?

Quote:
No, I can't see into wither cops' heads, but as they treated that therapist as the suspect, it's hard to imagine there being any other reason than race.

How difficult you personally find it to imagine reasons beyond race reflect solely on yourself, not on cops either specifically or generally.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 4:48 am

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Then you think that both cops at the scene were just lousy at their jobs? Because his partner didn't make a peep about either the shooting, or the subsequent cuffing of the therapist.

Where did I state or imply that either cop was 'just' lousy at their job?

Quote:
No, I can't see into wither cops' heads, but as they treated that therapist as the suspect, it's hard to imagine there being any other reason than race.

How difficult you personally find it to imagine reasons beyond race reflect solely on yourself, not on cops either specifically or generally.

Because in this case, it just seems highly unlikely that the therapist was shot other than for having a black face. If you're so sure I'm wrong, then tell me why that man was shot, then cuffed as if he was a criminal?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 4:51 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Prove it, then. If it's so obvious that this happens, show me the evidence. It can't be anecdotal, it has to be real data. I know you can't do it, because it's not there.

I go by what black people themselves say. Can you prove blacks don't live in fear of being wrongfully hassled or even killed by cops?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jul 2016, 5:59 am

This thread was always going to be contentious. Several reports came in from both sides (justifiably) accusing each other of making thinly-veiled accusations of racism, so clearly we can't discuss it sensibly.