Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2016, 9:25 pm

I have cats. Pets can be very therapeutic. There are numerous studies that show that they reduce anxiety, and it's not uncommon to find people with Autism or anxiety benefitting from relationships with emotional support animals. There are also plenty of pets at shelters waiting to find fur-ever homes. It's a win-win.

transsupernatural
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2016, 4:25 pm

I have a dog. She helps, but I can't take her to work or anything unfortunately.

I'm on prozac and some anxiety prns now, but anxiety still sucks

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2016, 6:01 pm

transsupernatural wrote:
I have a dog. She helps, but I can't take her to work or anything unfortunately.

I'm on prozac and some anxiety prns now, but anxiety still sucks

I agree. It's sucky suck-o-rama.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 10:24 pm

Our cats are purr - fect addition to my 8) anxiety tool box.

TheForeverMan
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2016, 9:47 am

I have many animal friends.

I love my chookies, birdies, doggies. But none alleviate my anxiety.

Because my brain isnt so easily fooled by substitution. The core source of my anxieties need addressing. Which will not happen.

candleghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2016, 9:36 am

I have PTSD and social phobia as well, and used to be agoraphobic but managed to get over that. The only thing that really helps is mindfulness and constantly reminding myself that I'm no longer in danger and that I don't want to be a victim anymore. I also have to use mindfulness and remind myself to relax often, as I'm usually super tense like I'm on guard for something to happen.

I still struggle with phone calls, though.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:59 pm

3 months ago we brought in a 7 month old feral cat.
Tonight was the 2nd day she spontaneously jumped up into mg lap.
It brought a smile then and now thinking about it.

Mindfulness. This thread was the 2nd time I got the message on it today. First was a mention at work.

Now is good when I can stay there.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:42 am

drlaugh wrote:

Mindfulness. This thread was the 2nd time I got the message on it today. First was a mention at work.

Now is good when I can stay there.

Mindfulness is a good tool for reducing anxiety but it doesnt always help, the key is to practice regulary so it almost becomes second nature.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 2:26 pm

One of my yoga teacher talks of it often. She also says the 2 classes a week (or just one) prepares us for using it throughout the rest of the hours, minutes and seconds each week.

Breathe.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 7:03 pm

Whatever you do avoid medication. It's a scam and it can ruin your life.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm

Lavender oil also at the end of a yoga class has been calming.

Side note.
Some smells raise my anxiety

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Oct 2016, 4:37 am

Lost_in_Fear wrote:
drlaugh wrote:
Some can think there way through
Some use a good counselor.
Some can act there way through
Some are prescribed stuff like Lexapro
Some are prescribed things like Xanax prn.
Some find combination is better.

How about you

This is all true, just be careful using benzodiazepines for your anxiety, it can be a slippery slope into a hellish dependency.

When I first started taking klonopin I thought I found the holly grail for my anxiety/ over stimulation issues. I was more functional then ever before.

But as the months went by I needed more and more of it to have that same sense of relief to the point where now if I don't take my (huge) dose I am housebound and out of touch....three days later the withdrawals hit hard and I will have life threatening seizures.

Now my memory is fried, can't remember sh!t, as in I can't remember if I ate breakfast when it's time for dinner, or I'll walk into a room to grab something and just spin around lost as to why I'm there.....

Benzos are great if and only used every now and then, my doc screwed up and put me on a scheduled daily dose, so my body is completely dependent on this drug now.....it's causing so many hardships in my life, I won't bore you with the details but just be careful with the benzodiazepines, and good luck my friend.

For me, the only pill for panic is a benzo, so I developed a method. I would taper down to 1 pill a day and stay there for a week or so. Very uncomfortable. Then I would taper back up to the desired dose and stay there for a while. All this with my doctor's support. They want to switch meds but I found one that works so I'll taper down and up rather than switching meds every 6 months, which would turn me into a lunatic.

I was surprised, when I read Keith Richards's book, to discover that he does the same thing, only with more exotic drugs and he checks into rehab to do it.

If you need more of your meds, it might be that you've built up a resistance and can escape by taking less for a time.

Goardon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2016, 12:15 am

i'd freak out in therapy too. psychiatrists are as*holes.

the solution is simply.
find out what bothers you.

and when you find your root, cope with that, and don't worry about the symptoms until your ready to face the world from your own comfort zone.

pst. I now what the root is. ask me when u find it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Dec 2016, 12:36 pm

I would say it has already ruined my life, how can you undo the damage already done? It's such an all-encompassing thing that I fear things will never change.

Goardon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2016, 8:37 pm

what's the primary idea in your head when your anxiety kicks in? rape. sex. murder. war. sexual disease. broken bones. falling. violent animals...

when we find out what cracks your nugget we can address your methods of coping with or understanding the cause.