Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 7:04 pm

I used to love heavy story titles. But while I'm happy I got MGS V on sale for $20 and LoU Remastered for $15 it's hard to justify them when I can run through a quick mission in Monster Hunter or catch a few Pokemon and say I at least played some of my game today. I'm not OMG! OCD! Obsessive into games as I used to in the past.

Catch a few Pokemon done beat a monster or 2 in Monster Hunter I'm satisfied.

Despite the views of best stealth game ever I believe LoU stealth had more weight to it the way Joel SLAMS them around vs. the "whack" of Metal Gear.

I know coming up Pokemon Sun and Moon I can catch a few Pokemon and be done or maybe even breed a few and don't have to get invested in a game. All consuming.

Anyone relate????

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 7:13 pm

I can sorta understand that... I've never been huge on story but I used to still play games that HAD story in them, way back when. Something like Earthbound on the NES, for instance. Games like that.

These days though? Hah, no. Doesnt really happen.

But then, games have changed, too. Back then, when a story was told, it was all text boxes. I could read through at my own pace (typically much faster than anyone could speak). The writing also tended to be shorter and more to the point. They didnt see the need to draw things out unnecessarily.

Now, that's changed. Everything is a cutscene, everything is long, and I quickly just stopped caring. In addition to that, games started getting easier and easier, so I dont play major ones so much anymore. Used to be that I'd be pretty interested when one of the big guys put out something new. These days.... not so much. With exceptions of course.

That all being said, it almost sounds like you're a bit burned out more than anything. Like, an "I dont feel like doing too much of this right now" sort of thing. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 7:29 pm

Yes, I'm far more interested in games that I can enjoy in short play sessions. Though I'm still often interested in longer games I know I just don't finish them most of the time, mostly because I lose interest. It's harder to maintain interest in these sorts of games when you have to play in shorter bursts, compared to when I was younger and could play games all day. So often you just can't achieve much in shorter sessions, or you forget what you were doing the next time you can play. If a game takes less than 4-6 hours to complete I am generally more interested in playing it and come away from it with a better impression. Some longer games are fine though, if they're designed in a way that they are still enjoyable in short sessions.

My favourite games over the last year are mostly these types of games and include A Chair in a Room: Greenwater, Doom, House of the Dying Sun, Life Is Strange and Overwatch.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

Misery wrote:
I can sorta understand that... I've never been huge on story but I used to still play games that HAD story in them, way back when. Something like Earthbound on the NES, for instance. Games like that.

These days though? Hah, no. Doesnt really happen.

But then, games have changed, too. Back then, when a story was told, it was all text boxes. I could read through at my own pace (typically much faster than anyone could speak). The writing also tended to be shorter and more to the point. They didnt see the need to draw things out unnecessarily.

Now, that's changed. Everything is a cutscene, everything is long, and I quickly just stopped caring. In addition to that, games started getting easier and easier, so I dont play major ones so much anymore. Used to be that I'd be pretty interested when one of the big guys put out something new. These days.... not so much. With exceptions of course.

That all being said, it almost sounds like you're a bit burned out more than anything. Like, an "I dont feel like doing too much of this right now" sort of thing. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

That makes since. Just as a HUGE MG fan shocked it didn't sink in as OMG! OCD! Gotta beat this NOW! Feeling. The open world stealth gameplay is throwing me for a loop and life is sort of busy right now so it's probably good I can't invest in a long 20+ hour game. :-)

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm

I used to play all kinds of different video games: RPG, action, shooter, puzzle, fighting, sports, racing, tactics, simulation, card, pinball, marble, board game, and so on and so forth. Now days, that is not true any more. For the longest time, I haven't even played games. But eventually I got back into it a little. However, I'm only playing top titles at the moment like Fire Emblem, Mirror's Edge, and PokeMon.

But, yes, normally I just don't find games interesting any more. I always feel like I have something better to do. Very often, it's been reading.

MarbleRye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2016, 12:37 am

When I was really young I liked Mario and Bandicoot type games until I discovered RPGs. I still really like JRPGs, but they aren't as popular as they were when the PS1 was out, though I hear they're making a comeback. I like the occasional shooter like 007 or earlier Modern Warfare games. I generally dislike fighting games except maybe Smash Bros on N64. I guess mobile gaming has changed my taste a little seeing as you have to play in little spurts throughout the day. I'm currently playing Brave Exvius and Pokemon GO on my phone and The Witcher on PS4.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 8:17 am

RabidFox wrote:
I used to play all kinds of different video games: RPG, action, shooter, puzzle, fighting, sports, racing, tactics, simulation, card, pinball, marble, board game, and so on and so forth. Now days, that is not true any more. For the longest time, I haven't even played games. But eventually I got back into it a little. However, I'm only playing top titles at the moment like Fire Emblem, Mirror's Edge, and PokeMon.

But, yes, normally I just don't find games interesting any more. I always feel like I have something better to do. Very often, it's been reading.

Ya I have tons of Kindle books I need to read lol! I still plan on buying Fire Emblem soon though and Pokemon Sun and Moon towards the end of the year at least. :-)

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

Never liked video games much, though Fallout is neat. I really enjoy tile-laying games like Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, the real pleasure lies in constructing your buildings, cities, landscapes, etc. TCGs like Magic: the Gathering are fun, but can be a bit costly.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2016, 2:38 pm

The_Dark_Citadel wrote:
TCGs like Magic: the Gathering are fun, but can be a bit costly.

I used to play Magic the Gathering a lot. I never did in person with actual, physical cards, but I did play it with digital cards on the PC and the XBox 360. It's so hard to beat people on the PC version. There's an endless variety of cards, and they are sold very cheaply. I never did put much money into it, because I didn't really have to, but I still couldn't beat people outside of the novice section. Then big time card players would come into the novice section to test out their super decks on people who didn't even know how to play. I couldn't stand it. I'd enter a battle with someone just for that person to keep drawing everything out and drawing everything out rather than actually defeat me, which would have been extremely easy for them at any time. It really killed it for me.

My very first physical Magic the Gathering cards were a purple deck and a green deck that the official website was giving away to people for free. I also got a special promotional card for buying the XBox 360 version. After that, it was many years before I got more cards, and they were just random old ones from past card sets. I have all of my cards neatly arranged in a folder.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 3:58 pm

Yes, my taste in video games has changed to some degree. I used to be able to sit for a much longer time playing games that made me have to focus on danger and/or react quickly. Now I can only play games like that for a short period of time. Even games like New SMB for DS and 3DS are games I can only play for a short while (not the least helped by save points only coming up after each castle I defeat). It’s fun, but I can only do it for a little while. These days I can only sit for a long time with games like Pokémon, Rune Factory and Animal Crossing, as well as Mahjong and Solitaire, all games that are very addictive and engrossing, yet in the same way relaxing, or at least not stressful (not counting Elite 4 battles lol).

I used to dislike turn based battles and prefer hack and slash games, as it meant that I might be able to avoid injury to my character if I played it right and was lucky, while turn based games meant I would take some damage. In games where you have to stay at inns and pay for it to gain HP, and money was hard to come by, I just found it stressful, still do, but the games I currently play make it easier to restore HP and/or get money for it, like Pokémon and Dragon Quest. Games that still have that issue, are just not for me. But as long as it’s possible to heal without going broke, I have really taken a liking to turn based battles as they aren’t wearing me out, as opposed to quite a few hack and slash games.
And I absolutely need save points to be easily accessible. Only being able to save on specific locations, after boss fights or after one day in the game’s realm, is a real turn off. The first SMB game for NES came without save options, and back then I didn’t give it another thought. I would not have considered a game today that was like that. Don’t get me wrong though, I still think SMB is one of the best, probably the best, platform game ever, I would just prefer that it was possible to save it, even if there are a lot of short cuts in it. There are lots of games I find very enjoyable for a short time, like racing games, shooting games (like Duck Hunt) and some hack and slash, so it’s not necessarily that I don’t like them, it’s just that I can’t deal with playing them for a prolonged period of time anymore.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Foxprospeak

24 Jul 2016, 9:10 pm

I think it's more of my approach toward games that's changed.

I used to blow through games and not pay attention to the finer details.

More recently I've taken to appreciate the little details and game mechanics while I'm playing.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

24 Jul 2016, 9:32 pm

Yes, my game taste has changed quite a bit.

I used to play alot of multiplayer games. I played CS:Source competivetly, i played alot of TF2, GMod, DayZ, TrackMania Nations, CoD 4, War Thunder, all online titles. I liked a good singleplayer game, but i spent the majority of my time playing online. Today i just dont play online anymore. I spend my gaming time (wich has drastically reduced by itself) playing stuff like kerbal space program, GTA games, Racing games, SP shooters, the fallout series and generally more story driven titles. I guess it could be my attention and frustration span has shrunken over the years. I could play for example CS:Source on all the same maps for hours at a time, today if i try CS:GO again i play 3-4 rounds and then i get either bored or frustrated and quit. Singleplayer and sandbox games just give me the ability to do it my way, at my own speed...

Peace
TK

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2016, 9:40 pm

RabidFox wrote:
The_Dark_Citadel wrote:

big time card players would come into the novice section to test out their super decks on people who didn't even know how to play. I couldn't stand it. I'd enter a battle with someone just for that person to keep drawing everything out and drawing everything out rather than actually defeat me, which would have been extremely easy for them at any time. It really killed it for me.

My very first physical Magic the Gathering cards were a purple deck and a green deck that the official website was giving away to people for free. I also got a special promotional card for buying the XBox 360 version. After that, it was many years before I got more cards, and they were just random old ones from past card sets. I have all of my cards neatly arranged in a folder.

People like that have major issues. Maybe not able to beat others on their level, so they flex their puny muscles on a novice. Really?! :evil:
Purple??? I have only heard of Blue, Red, White, Black, Green and Colorless (Artifact, some Eldrazi).

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm

The_Dark_Citadel wrote:
RabidFox wrote:
The_Dark_Citadel wrote:

big time card players would come into the novice section to test out their super decks on people who didn't even know how to play. I couldn't stand it. I'd enter a battle with someone just for that person to keep drawing everything out and drawing everything out rather than actually defeat me, which would have been extremely easy for them at any time. It really killed it for me.

People like that have major issues. Maybe not able to beat others on their level, so they flex their puny muscles on a novice. Really?! :evil:
Purple??? I have only heard of Blue, Red, White, Black, Green and Colorless (Artifact, some Eldrazi).

Yes, people often do that in competitve games of any sort. They go and stomp on the weaker new players because it gives them some sort of bloody stupid satisfaction.

I've seen it alot with fighting games, for instance, where veteran players will go and stomp the crap out of "scrubs" (nasty term for new players, meant to be insulting) just to get a laugh out of it and show how superior they are. What always gets me is how ANGRY they get if one of those so-called scrubs turns out to not be quite what that appear, and the veteran player loses. Holy crap do they ever get ticked off. Proven, usually in front of others, to not be so amazingly great as they think they are. I've been able to do that a number of times, it's... satisfying, to teach them a bit of a lesson. Not that they actually manage to learn a damn thing, mind you. But if it stops them from picking on people for awhile, it's worth it.

They do it in that genre, and basically every other genre. Different games, same idiots.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

24 Jul 2016, 10:13 pm

This reminds me of my very early CS days, when i joined so called "noob servers" for skill training and every once in awhile a seasoned player joined the server just to make himself feel better. Thats a real sh***y move, and tells alot about a player who does this if you ask me. This also happens in real life. I remember back in elementary school we had a beneficial 1km run every year. There were different groups for people to run in, and one of the two athletes from my class joined the low performance group i was in (because i suck at sports) so he could get his medal without competing against the other kid. Disgusting...

Peace
TK

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 10:25 pm

Yeah, it has. I'm way less into shooters now, for one thing. It feels like I've played every shooter before it's even made, they're all kind of samey now. I've shot all the things, with all the guns, in all the places. Not much draw for me anymore.

I also tend to gravitate towards more obscure indie titles, not because of any hipster thing but because they seem more likely to try new and unusual things. It takes a lot to get me onboard with a big AAA title.

Now that I've got a full-time job, really grindy time-sink games are pretty much out of the question. I want stuff to happen each time I play. It's ok if the game takes 150 hours to beat as long as 75 of them aren't me doing the same damn thing.

Also since it's been mentioned, I play less video games overall and a lot more Magic: the Gathering. I like that I can socialize with people while doing it.

The_Dark_Citadel wrote:

Correct. There's no purple. Oh, and lands are also colorless. :P