Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kazine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2016, 3:37 pm

Hi, I have just joined. I wonder if there are any others there who were diagnosed as adults. I am the mother of a son who was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADHD in his mid forties. I would really like to hear how you and your family cope. Especially with the social side.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jul 2016, 3:45 pm

I had a formal diagnosis when I was 29 and it helped me to straighten my life out. It also helped my mom to understand me better and not feel guilty for all the problems I have. I haven't been too open about my diagnosis with the rest of my family but I'm sure it would help them understand me better if I did.

Kazine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2016, 3:53 pm

Hi, nice to hear from you. When my son was small we didn't really know about Asperger's Syndrome so he was simply seen as a naughty child and as was seen as a bad mother! This made for quite an unhappy life for both of us. I am really pleased that he has been diagnosed, this has led me to doing a lot of research and we now have a good relationship.
Do you find you get lonely?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:29 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 2:16 pm

Hey Kazine welcome. :sunny:

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2016, 6:37 pm

I just joined this forum as well. I was singled out in school as 'weird' and sent to a series of child psychologists who couldn't quite figure out what was 'wrong' with me (while no one even thought the kids bullying me were 'wrong' at all, but I digress...) Anyway, I didn't get a complete diagnosis until I was 40, from a therapist who finally helped me learn some methods for coping with problems without trying to make me into something I'm unlikely ever to be. And you seem a good and understanding person to me, joining this forum and seeking information; my own mom still "doesn't think of me that way" (in other words, she's in denial about my diagnosis.)

nettie68
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2016, 11:34 pm

I got diagnosed around 46. Got tired of the energy requirements to blend in as an NT , so I let myself show. That's when I "got busted" for not being an NT and got the high functioning autism aspie dx.

Skywatcher1891
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2016, 11:42 am

Hello. I was recently diagnosed at the age of 35. It was a struggle to get the diagnosis but we got there in the end.

As it's all quite new I'm still thinking about the implications and what I should do next. Primarily it is my job that will be affected as I was put into a temporary role while going through diagnosis and treatment. I have also been thinking about how my life to date has been shaped by ASD (prior to diagnosis) but I'm wary that my thinking isn't warped by confirmation bias.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 4:13 pm

I'm almost 60 now and diagnosed last year. Family is cool about it. Have been a well known disaster zone for most of my life.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2016, 4:43 pm

I've known for a long time that I was on the spectrum, but did not get a formal diagnosis until this past week. The clinician I am working with is recommending some good things to read, journaling, yoga and meditation in addition to the exercise that I have relied on for a long time. We also have plan for her to coach social skill and other coping mechanisms. I'm 57, married with a good career, so very fortunate in these aspects of my life, but still need a lot of work. Welcome and best of luck!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Toadsgurl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2016, 7:42 pm

Hi. I just joined today. I was diagnosed last year on the Spectrum at age 57 and have Audio Processing Disorder as well. This diagnoses has finally given me answers to being asked all my life "what planet are you from"? My 91 year old father-in-law just moved in with us 2 months ago, and all our children live in the West, so I have gone back in for counseling to help with the adjustment that we have taken on by ourselves. I do not work, and I haven't met any new friends here yet, as I am not too keen about going to new places, so I have joined this site to find people that might understand me and to connect with other ASD people. Some of my family members accept this diagnoses, and others wish to stay in denial. I suppose I don't care whether my family accepts it or not, as it has helped me immensely to understand my life.
Good luck!! And welcome.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 8:02 pm

I've got one family member who denies I exist anyway, but touch wood, my father, all my bros, cousins, their kids and my cousins all accept my new diagnosis.

I've heard it is common for someone in a family to flat out deny an ASD diagnosis of a family member.