Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:31 pm

What would you want someone your with to do if you have a meltdown? I need to know because I want an answer from someone with autism. I don't it to come from people who think they know about us, yet they really don't. The reason I ask is because I'm writing a story about a severely autistic eighteen year old woman. She is nonverbal also because she has oral motor apraxia as well. I want to do the right thing in having her mother calm her down, but I don't know the best way to do this. Any tips?

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:41 pm

hmmm just off the top of my head, being given space works for me, no pestering, no crowding, just space, and cry it out.

but something another person could do, is be there to talk it out i guess, let the person talk out the problem to them (although that might be hard, i generally lose the ability to talk much if not at all when mid meltdown). not sure if that would work?

im not 100% sure on this though, as my parents have never been....observant enough to actually do anything when i go into a meltdown, they sort of just...don't notice. i disappear to my room and completely lose it as quietly as i can, they never ask how im feeling, so i never tell.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm

I meant like publicly though. I did have an idea where the mother could sing the chorus of "Beautiful" to her daughter, and it would calm her down.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:52 pm

For me, I like people to rub my back and comfort me and stuff. But that might not be true for everyone.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:55 pm

I guess from the responses, I have to figure out what works for her then. It's probably the best thing to do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:56 pm

When I used to have meltdowns (before I went on antidepressants), I shouted profanity, hit myself in the face, stomped around, slammed doors, and, most of all, cried. What calmed me down was if somebody cuddled me, talked to me, and tried to get me to rationalize why I was feeling so frustrated at the time. I couldn't speak for a while after a meltdown, because I cried so much, but after catching my breath again, I could finally rationalize my thoughts. Unfortunately the meltdowns upset everyone else in the house, which basically prolonged the meltdown because I would feel guilty and angry with myself for making my loved ones upset, hence the reason I went on antidepressants.

But, how I calmed after a meltdown is not really that typical among Aspies, because most Aspies prefer to be alone to calm down, stimming in a dark and quiet haven, while I needed social comfort to calm myself down.

But I hope that has given you some idea for your story anyway. Good luck with your story. :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:02 pm

Just depends on the situation. Sometimes they can tell when I am starting to meltdown and talk to me to calm me out of it. Just soothing words. If it is one where I start going ballistic my dad restrains me as much as needed. He will try to get me to the most private spot he can. Even if that means off in a corner someplace. If soothing talk does not settle it down, then it just has to run its course. When I am in full meltdown talking to me or touching me like patting and caressing does not help, I just want to be left alone. I also have somewhat more severe classic autism and also apraxia of speech.

Other kids do respond to soothing words and or touches during meltdown though. So you are right, you can come up with basically whatever you want for your character. Singing would be good.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 7:19 pm

EzraS wrote:
Just depends on the situation. Sometimes they can tell when I am starting to meltdown and talk to me to calm me out of it. Just soothing words. If it is one where I start going ballistic my dad restrains me as much as needed. He will try to get me to the most private spot he can. Even if that means off in a corner someplace. If soothing talk does not settle it down, then it just has to run its course. When I am in full meltdown talking to me or touching me like patting and caressing does not help, I just want to be left alone. I also have somewhat more severe classic autism and also apraxia of speech.

Other kids do respond to soothing words and or touches during meltdown though. So you are right, you can come up with basically whatever you want for your character. Singing would be good.

That's what my MC has. She is diagnosed with severe classic autism and oral motor apraxia (or apraxia of speech). She also has developmental delays as well. She communicates by using her iPad, much like Carly Fleischmann does.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:28 pm

I don't have a whole lot in common with your MC (I'm verbal, fairly independent, can deal with my own meltdowns) but with me if it has reached that point the ONLY thing anyone can do is allow me to remove myself from the situation to a place that is private enough for it to be safe for me to completely f*****g lose it. It doesn't take much-- 15 or 20 minutes of screaming, cussing, and beating the s**t out of a pillow, time to compose myself, and I'm good to go.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm

sweeToxic wrote:
That's what my MC has. She is diagnosed with severe classic autism and oral motor apraxia (or apraxia of speech). She also has developmental delays as well. She communicates by using her iPad, much like Carly Fleischmann does.

That's pretty much the same as me. Except I have less severe autism than Carly who I believe is level 3. I am level 2. I think Carly is a somewhat rare case in being able to communicate the way she does if she is level 3. I do know that she communicates very slowly. Like it can take hours or days for her to type something out. I write slow, but only takes me a few minutes. I also sign language some and use gestures to communicate. Nodding my head yes, shaking my head no and shrugging goes a long ways.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:42 pm

I don't know the meaning of MC in this context.

Does it mean "main character?"

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:55 pm

I believe it's "main character", what we older folk were taught was the "protagonist" of the story.