Page 7 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 7:24 pm

johnnyh wrote:
You aren't replying?

May I remind you that you are supposed to look at the evidence and draw a conclusion. This means coming to the conclusion that autism is not a disease therefore the causes cannot have any environmental role and is 100% genetic is not correct, that comorbidities only increase the chances of getting diagnosed and are not resulting from autism, the environmental factors, or the genes is incorrect, that there has been no slight increase in diagnosis since it must be entirely genetic is incorrect.

The non-autistic twin often has a disorder or learning disability. The gene(s) cause them but the result is different due to an absence or presence of dna methylation factors. What factors could affect dna methylation to the very core? Do you honestly think it is random pure chance? Not even people say these things for schizophrenia or bipolar.

I didn't reply because I didn't read the responses yet. Chill. The rest of your post if just showing you blatantly ignored my actual positions, fail to understand what it means for something to be a disease, fail to understand what autism is and what it means for something to be a mental disorder (not the same thing as a disease), fail to understand how epigenetics works, and fail to recognize bad science that isn't actually conclusive for anything.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2016, 8:11 pm

What is your stance on paranoid schizophrenia or bipolar? If I know that, I can understand what you think of autism better.

-Johnnyh

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2016, 11:37 am

Because 70% of humans are selfish, morally corrupt, and unintelligent. Simple IMHO.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 7:26 pm

johnnyh wrote:
The non-autistic twin often has a disorder or learning disability. The gene(s) cause them but the result is different due to an absence or presence of dna methylation factors. What factors could affect dna methylation to the very core? Do you honestly think it is random pure chance?

I think the identical twin studies is where the crucial missing link should be looked for. If one biologically identical twin with an identical brain develops autism and the other doesn't then what explains that?

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2016, 1:43 am

I am extremely pro-choice. Based on a lot of the posts in this thread, I can tell I'm going to take some heat for this, but here's what I think:

Lots of women are going to get abortions whether or not abortions are legal. If they're legal, the abortion can be done safely. If they're done illegally, the mother is at serious risk of infection and internal bleeding, which could very easily lead to her own death. By making abortion illegal, you're putting people's lives in danger.

The life of a tiny organism with no self-awareness and probably no consciousness is not comparable in value to that of a fully developed human. I would rather kill that tiny organism than force a mother and child into a life of hardship, where the mother is unable to pursue her goals and is also unable to provide for her child, and the child does not have the resources they need to succeed. I would much rather the mother abort, lay the foundation for her life so she can be successful, then have another child she can take care of.

You bring up Down Syndrome and autism. This is the most controversial opinion I am going to express. I think we need to differentiate mental conditions by severity, or at least I do. When I have a child, I want that child to have goals and ambitions they can achieve. I want them to be able to succeed. If it looks like I'm going to have a kid with a mental condition that will present some challenges, that's fine. I will be committed to that child, and do everything I can to help them succeed. With this I am thinking of Asperger's Syndrome, high functioning autism, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, epilepsy, and so on. I won't care that they have the mental disorder, I will care for them all the same.
However, to be completely honest, if I find out that I'm about to have a child with a really debilitating condition like Down Syndrome, then abortion is an option. Taking care of a child with that kind of condition is a lifelong commitment, and can severely limit both the child and the parents. Frankly, right now I'm not in a place in my life where I could deal with that, and I wouldn't want to limit any partner I have with that either. I don't think I'll be in a place to take care of such a child any time soon, either. Don't get me wrong, I think extremely highly of parents committed to children with Down Syndrome and other, more profound mental disabilities. I have sort of a hero worship for a musician who basically just travels around with his son who has Down Syndrome. But for me to take care of such a kid, I'll need to have some financial/professional security, and know that I'm already moving in the right direction in life.
And for really severe mental disabilities, where the child can't function at all, like microcephaly, I will abort. Because if the child can't function at all cognitively, then they have no quality of life.
I don't say any of this lightly, but this is a decision with serious consequences. And honestly, I don't think anyone who aborts makes the decision lightly.

Many people will bring up adoption, saying if you can't take care of the child, then don't abort because you can always put them up for adoption. This isn't a good response. Orphanages are already overburdened and underfunded. Yes, some children are adopted into loving families. But others stay in the system until they age out. This can have really harsh consequences for kids. That feeling of being unloved is hard for children. In orphans, depression, drug abuse, and suicide rates are exceptionally high. Few graduate high school, and many wind up homeless or in prison. Orphan/adoption services need serious reform, and subjugating a child to the hardships of that system seems unconscionable.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 1:47 am

johnnyh wrote:
What is your stance on paranoid schizophrenia or bipolar? If I know that, I can understand what you think of autism better.

One is a mood disorder, the other is schizophrenia. They aren't the same as autism. Both can be medicated, but many decide not to medicate for various reasons. They should not be eliminated for the gene pool.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2016, 9:25 am

Ganondox wrote:
johnnyh wrote:

One is a mood disorder, the other is schizophrenia. They aren't the same as autism. Both can be medicated, but many decide not to medicate for various reasons. They should not be eliminated for the gene pool.

I commend you, even if I disagree, for being consistent in your beliefs.

-Johnnyh

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2016, 12:10 am

I've got another point. Neuronal migration errors are found in autism and aspergers, what do you say about that? It may even be the source cause.

-Johnnyh

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 5:31 pm

I have a neutral stance on gene editing. If it is used as a form of ableism I am against it. But if a individual is voluntarily doing it to themselves I am not against it. I am for individual self autonomy.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 12:22 pm

I'm not sure the world is so Eugenics happy, but there are indeed persons out there whom would want cures through genetic editing/research.Honestly, I'd love to see a cure for all forms/stages of cancer from a genetic standpoint;however, I'm not for someone or some people using such technologies and skills for a more malicious & dark approach.Absolutely not, as I would not be forced to take some damned cure nor would I want anyone else to be mandated to do such.So, I'm in the middle of this choice as knowledge in itself is not evil rather how it is utilized as a whole.

Shroom22
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2018, 10:33 am

To say that the world is for lack of better words a eugenics theme park would be rather absurd. The world is however mildly indifferent towards our plight and often goes on to rationalize their indifferent to absurd lengths. If the world is indeed a eugenics theme park it is because we refuse or do not have the ability to conform to a world not particularly suited for us.