What does "noticing patterns in things" mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 7:45 pm

On the AQ test, one of the questions is "I notice patterns in things all the time", I usually say that I disagree when I answer that question on a test but I'm not sure what it means.

Many people here have said they notice patterns a lot, but I've never really gotten what it means.

Can someone give me an example of "noticing patterns in things"?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 7:56 pm

One example of "noticing patterns"

People noticing that the bathroom floor has many identical designs, each one containing 17 tiles. And there are four tiles between each design. And the designs themselves look like alien faces. One line going through the bathroom floor has 12 designs; the other 11. The designs are dark green, and the tiles around them are lighter green (almost white).

Another example: noticing that it takes 30 seconds for the traffic light to go from red to green on a certain street, 45 seconds on another street, 30 seconds again two streets down from the original street, and 45 seconds again three streets from the original street. Moreover, the street which has 30-second traffic lights go one way; whereas the ones with 45-second lights go two way.

"Noticing pattersn" occurs in arithmetic/mathematics, too: 1,2,4,7,11,16,22

Two is ONE more than one; four is TWO more than two; seven is THREE more than four; eleven is FOUR more than seven; sixteen is FIVE more than eleven; and twenty-two is SIX more than sixteen.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

28 Jul 2016, 9:13 pm

Yes, thats one side of it.

I have another one:
I notice lots of patterns in different things, patterns in communication from different people, patterns in behaviour. This is quite fun as long it has a good distance to me, sometimes as outsider i can predict what will happen in a given situation because it always happens this way. It also can help in acting appropriate yourself by repeating a good pattern you saw. Patterns in design/shematics/layout of places, im kinda fixated on symmetrics here. Also patterns in audio, thats why i love music. Apart from the main baseline there are so many underlying tones, drums, kicks and different patterns. Sometimes i hum with a songs little detail while everyone else probably thinks im totally out of sync with the track. There are also pattern in textures, like a brick wall with every row slightly offset to the row under it, wich gives the impression of angeled lines all across it. And the disappointment when the construction worker failed somewhere and destroys the pattern...

Patterns. just patterns everywhere :D

Peace
TK

PS: And dont ever rely on traffic patterns in practical use. Almost all traffic lights in my city have the same delay when switching from green to yellow to red. As a night shift courier driver on a tour with a too tight time shedule i often had to drive at yellow anyway to avoid delays. I thought all the traffic lights had the same delay, and they have. Except for this one intersection wich has heavy traffic on daytime. It had shorter delays so it turned red right before me when stopping wasnt possible anymore. Thats how i lost my license. Finding patterns? Great. Still better dont use what you found in critical situations...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 10:33 pm

Another pattern: almost everyone has an above-average number of eyes, ears, noses, hands and feet.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 5:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
One example of "noticing patterns"

People noticing that the bathroom floor has many identical designs, each one containing 17 tiles. And there are four tiles between each design. And the designs themselves look like alien faces. One line going through the bathroom floor has 12 designs; the other 11. The designs are dark green, and the tiles around them are lighter green (almost white).

I always do this! Great example :)

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

29 Jul 2016, 5:42 am

One on my favorite things in the world.

M.C. Escher

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure