Only buy 2 games a year.... Am I still a hardcore gamer?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

outcastleader13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2016, 11:22 pm

So I love video games.. I am very picky and only play RPG's... I like other genres but due to other commitments I only have the time to play about 10-15 hours a week.. That gives me two RPG's a year to get the most out of. Therefore I only buy two games a year. Last year I bought Fallout 4 and Witcher 3... Two damn good games. In 2014 I bought Dragon Age: Inqusition and Diablo 3... All on PS4. These games have kept my occupied for many hours.. Just enough to have and maintain a FT Job, two college Classes and a social night on Fridays. What I'm trying to say is... Am I a casual gamer??? Or am I a hardcore RPG gamer?? Thinking of going to PC also! Don't know if that's worth it with not purchasing two games a year..

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 12:36 am

Generally speaking being "hardcore" isn't about numbers but rather intensity. Those that are really into games are generally considered hardcore while those who barely spend an hour or two a day at most are considered casual.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2016, 6:57 am

I think hardcore can also relate to how often you game. If you play 24/7 even just 2 games, you'd be pretty hardcore.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 7:33 am

Video games are meant to be enjoyed. Hardcore, casual, why do people get so hung up on this dichotomy?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Video games are meant to be enjoyed. Hardcore, casual, why do people get so hung up on this dichotomy?

Because alot of gamers like to feel superior to other gamers, is why. So they can say that they are "hardcore" while anyone that they dont agree with is "casual". Or anyone that plays mobile games *sigh*.

Far as I'm concerned, those terms just deal with a game's difficulty. Casual = easy, hardcore = difficult. For really, REALLY difficult ones I just say "absurd". But those things have nothing to do with what type of gamer someone is.

I remember there was one developer..,. whose name I cant remember.... who said something like "There are casual Dark Souls players, and hardcore Candy Crush players... the terms can be applied in different ways like that, and in the end it doesnt matter".

But as long as people in the often-toxic gaming community have something they can use to feel superior to others, they'll do so.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

A PC is worth it for 10-15 hours of gameplay a week if you have the money, sometimes I don't game much more then that. Play the games you enjoy and worry less about being casual. Growing up I only played a handful of titles in a given year but that didn't mean I wasn't a gamer. A lot of it had to do with budget when I was living with my parents. Do what you want to do and not what you think other people want you to do. I think Diablo 3 is horrible and I wouldn't play it but if you enjoy it then go enjoy it, btw Dragon Age: Inqusition is on my wish list.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 7:23 pm

yep, doesn't matter how many games you buy, hell you could buy 2 games a DECADE and still be hardcore, i personally don't buy games that often, and i usually do my research and make absolutely sure its a good purchase (street fighter 5 will always be the one i regret taking so long to purchase, that and dawn of war: dark crusade and soulstorm. they are AMAZING fun games). its the level of intensity that you play them at. for example if i play sf5 for hours each day (haha who am i kidding, IF, i do actually do that sometimes and sometimes its other games), and you play say earthbound for the SNES for hours a day, we are both hardcore gamers, even though those games are over two decades apart. (earthbound came out in the 90's and sf5 came out this year).

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 8:08 pm

IDK, I buy less games than that, yet I regularly play League of Legends(though not quite as much lately due to lack of internet access at my house unless I go outside)...to some people that would make me a hardcore gamer. I don't think it's the amount of games you buy, its more how dedicated you are to playing them and improving skills and such.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 4:23 pm

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Because alot of gamers like to feel superior to other gamers, is why. So they can say that they are "hardcore" while anyone that they dont agree with is "casual". Or anyone that plays mobile games *sigh*.

Far as I'm concerned, those terms just deal with a game's difficulty. Casual = easy, hardcore = difficult. For really, REALLY difficult ones I just say "absurd". But those things have nothing to do with what type of gamer someone is.
I too thought it had to do with the games' difficulty levels and not the number of games played.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765