Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 12:17 pm

will it ever be found? or at least lessened through some sort of pill form?

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 12:18 pm

wow, they made it a disease :!:

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 12:20 pm

There's no such thing as a cure.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 12:42 pm

I dont think you can cure something that is an integral part of the wiring of ones brain. Its not someghing like one little part of your brain is not being activated properly. its like the "wiring" is modified entirely. The most you can do is lessen certain symptoms. I don't think any pill will give a person good social skills or an abilty to think in a structurally different way.

My question is, would you want the pill if they had it? When I was younger I think I would have, but by now, I am who I am, and to "cure" me, would not be to cure "me", it would be to make a new "me". Someone who I am not. The only way I can see it being beneficial is if it was done at a very young age for people with extreme problemsl. me? I have disablities but the gifts make up for it. I don't think other poeple would want me to be a different person either. I'm eccentric and people tell me that I am and thats why they like me.

willem
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:21 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
will it ever be found? or at least lessened through some sort of pill form?

Well, if you'd take that pill, you'd become emotionally and materially needy, you'd panic if nobody paid attention to you for more than 10 minutes, your IQ would drop 50 points, and you would no longer be conscious of anything in the universe other than people and yourself. I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but not much. This is what I imagine would happen to me if I'd take that pill.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:29 pm

While the wiring isn't due to a disease or accident/injury, I think neglected brain neurons react as if they have been neglected. That's why there is overcompensation in the form of savant and splinter skills. Temple Grandin states that some savant skills are preserved when the person neglects to try and rehabilitate socialization, executive functioning. (paraphrased)
So, while there isn't a cure for autism there is a recovery process. Though, again, it's not really a recover from an injury.[/circular argument]
The recovery process is an adaptation to different learning styles. I think there are ways to lesson the problems associated with sensory integration, poor habits of mind (pervasive black and white thinking) and learning disabilities. We do know that failing to teach and neglecting people leads to atrophy. I think this is what happened to so-called high functioning autistics and Aspies in the 20th century, when their educational needs weren't met and they were a)fed to the wolves b)institutionalized and c)survived but with terrible lifestyles, coping skills.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:08 pm

Cant rewire a human's brain.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 2:14 pm

maybe ganetherapy on kids befor tey are born but not a pill.

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 3:15 pm

i apologize...i didnt mean to offend anyone, i am very proud of who i am and enjoy helping others with their autism which is what i've dedicated alot of my time to. I just wish it was easier for them and, in a understanably selfish way, for me too. What i meant was are there ways to learn new skills to have the problems that come with it be lessened

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:24 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
i apologize...i didnt mean to offend anyone, i am very proud of who i am and enjoy helping others with their autism which is what i've dedicated alot of my time to. I just wish it was easier for them and, in a understanably selfish way, for me too. What i meant was are there ways to learn new skills to have the problems that come with it be lessened

no apology necessary :)
we are different. we can learn things to help to fit in better and make life easier. But some things i will never understand and it is trying too hard on these things, which causes hardship.
Sure, you can work on weaknesses, but also recognise your limitations ( i think Clint Eastwood said something like that). And let the things which you are good at work for you.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:32 pm

You can improve social skills etc.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:36 pm

Joshandspot wrote:

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I am proud of who I am but it would also be great to not have to deal with so many of the difficulties I have to, and there are people who are in a lot of pain and trouble becuase of who they are, and it would be great to help people with whatever problems they have.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 8:11 pm

We simply aren't born intuitively knowing the social skills that other people have. We just have to learn them intellectually, like times tables, or history. It's harder, but if we try hard enough, we can learn. Although I don't think I could ever learn eye contact.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:36 pm

Santa_Claus wrote:
Cant rewire a human's brain.

But you can override it.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 5:32 am

Well it might be possible to develop some sort of nanobot colony to erase the synapses and reprogram the brain with a new plastic NT soul.

Somehow I really don't like the idea.

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 3:15 am

I don't like the idea of a cure, i would never go to the extremes Aspies for Freedom have done. But AS makes us who we are. It gives us a unique perspective and view of the world, and i love being different to everyone else. Why would you want to fit in when you were born to stand out? :) of course, i am not saying don;t try to fit in, as building a nice social circle does work wonders, but trying to cure Autism would makethis world less diverse and cause all of us to die inside.

it's hard to describe, but if you want a better idea of what it might be like, go and watch X-Men 3 :) and just substitute Mutants for aspies and you see what i mean :)