Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 7:10 pm

You'd be surprised how much God, Christianity, Judaism, etc. is mentioned in New York City.

People generally have a belief in a Supreme Being--but they rarely go to church.

Immigrants go to church more often than native-born Americans.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 8:29 pm

I'm not part of an organized religion, but I do believe in God

I haven't found organized religion has done much for me, spiritually, socially or emotionally. I'm not completely against organized religion and certainly don't hate it, but not being part of an organized religion has actually done for me spiritually than a church did.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

TheBrownienator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

I'm an atheist. The kind of funny but sad thing is that the reason I started questioning Christianity was because on one of my last days of CCD (basically school were you learn about the Bible) a preacher was letting some 7 year old kids ask him questions and one of the kids asked, "When I die will I get to see my pet in heaven" and the preacher said, "No, because your pet doesn't have a soul which means he can't believe in god". Now at this time my pet cat had just died that I had owned my entire life and this just got me pissed off and it wasn't about me because I was like 3 or 4 years older than the kid so he wasn't even telling a 10 year old this he was telling a 7 year old this which is just messed up. After that about 3 years later I realized how unrealistic the bible was and all the concepts that were stupid. I mean how does a human walk on water, the only other animal that is this tiny spider and I'm pretty sure that Jesus wasn't a spider? I think that my Aspergers makes me believe in the most logical explanation so I think it has defiantly effected my views on religion.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You'd be surprised how much God, Christianity, Judaism, etc. is mentioned in New York City.

People generally have a belief in a Supreme Being--but they rarely go to church.

Immigrants go to church more often than native-born Americans.

I'm not surprised by that because NYC is still in the U.S. There is no place in your country that can truly be thought of as secular because you're still an extremely religious country.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 9:39 pm

I'm an atheist, though.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 10:18 pm

I'm a very logical person, and I'm strongly agnostic. I'm staying Catholic mainly because of Pascal's wager. To me, most religions are completely absurd and I can't see any reason why one religion would be correct over another. I do believe in souls, however, since it's the only explanation I have for being able to inhabit a human body and consciously experience things independently of others. But in reality, there's no way to prove anything. Even solipsism is perfectly logical with me, though I doubt it.