Five-pence charge saving six billion plastic bags

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 8:17 am

:arrow: Five-pence charge has saved six billion plastic bags -
The charge has also resulted in donations of more than £29m from retailers towards good causes including charities and community groups

Retailers with 250 or more full-time equivalent employees have to charge a minimum of 5p for the bags they provide for shopping in stores and for deliveries GETTY

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 8:27 am

Here in Sacramento, CA (USA) we have a 10-cent charge for plastic bags at the grocery store. It's very common for people to bring their own bags. It has encouraged me to reuse bags or minimize their use.

Back where I used to live in the South, plastic bags were free and I used way more.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

Here in Oregon, we have all the free plastic bags we want, and I love them. Plastic bags are recyclable. Just recycle the crap. Trying to ban plastic bags, or charge people for using them is just dumb.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm

When we brought in the 5p charge, I went out and purchased a few good quality long-lasting shopping bags. For a few weeks I took them everywhere.

Now, we're back to paying for carrier bags (usually the 10p Bag for Life ones) every time we go shopping because we simply don't remember.

I want some of those Trolley Bags, but you can bet for all that money I'd forget them as well!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 7:03 pm

plastic bags still free down in Oz

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Aug 2016, 7:04 pm

They don't really offer plastic bags for the most part here.. They're paper and they cost 10c