Laughing at things not meant to be funny

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

Wondering if anyone else here does this? I will laugh at 'sad scenes' in a tv show or movie or things in real life other people don't notice.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm

I do this sometimes.

FullmetalTriforce
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2016, 6:39 pm

I've been berated all my life for laughing at inappropriate things, like brutal death scenes. I went to see Green Inferno in theatres and people were very disapproving! But it's strange, because I didn't find it amusing...

(note: I don't have a diagnosis but I am currently seeking one.)

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 5:08 pm

My former sister-in-law got angry with me for laughing at the end of The Notebook once. I stand by my laughing. It was a stupid movie. I laugh at poor attempts at drama. If a show or movie does a sad scene right and they have a good build up to it, I won't laugh. Unfortunately most movies and shows these days aren't interested in good movie making, they want to entertain the lowest common denominator, get their money, and they will use all the proven cheap tricks to do so.

In RL, I still do it every now and then, but I keep it on the downlow by only laughing when other people laughing or by keeping it subtle by smiling and quietly chuckling.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 5:45 pm

I've been known to laugh in the street about something which happened, say, 30 years ago.

It was funny--though how do the people in the street know this? They think I'm nuts when I do this.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 6:40 pm

I don't laugh at inappropriate times, but I do laugh at things others generally don't find that funny, for example, a TV advert with music in the background what sounds hilarious to me. Or someone burping. Stuff like that.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 6:49 pm

I laughed while watching Ned Stark die in Game of Thrones. I didn't think the scene itself was funny at all, but something about that scene reminded me about a funny event that happened years ago.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 7:49 pm

The movie, "Martian," when astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead, stranded, and has to make pragmatic choices, seemed strangely relatable.

I was asked why some parts were funny, to me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm

Yes. With contrasting reactions.

Times it got me into trouble. Then times people would bug me to learn how to see things as such. :lol:
Laughing at something tragic is inappropriate when others are crying, or cringing at. I'll end up being reprimanded.
Same goes with laughing at some foul mouthed brat when others might avoid, get hurt, or lash out on her. I'll end up with questions how the crap I dealt with it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 8:49 pm

I think I have a very crude sense of humor. I find stuff like farts and toilet humor very funny. I still find Master of Disguise hilarious, despite people saying that it's a terrible movie. There are also some sounds and words that I can't help but bust out laughing every time I hear them, and then people look at me like I'm crazy. I was playing Mario Party 3 with a friend a few days ago, and I couldn't stop laughing at the "aeuurgh!" sound that the thwomp makes when it hits the ground. The Wilhelm scream has a similar effect on me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 12:50 am

One time I read a news article about a couple of young men in England who cut + type crosses into the legs of an old woman and sucked her blood. I was laughing as I told my mum about the news story.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm

I'm staying at this hotel with my parents, and there's this bar in the hotel called the Shiner, and I thought about how "shiner" is a slang term for a bruise because of the shine it makes when it's swollen, and this made me laugh out loud quite hard. There are little things like this which I find very funny, but I'm sure most people would think I'm crazy for laughing at such a thing.