Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 1:37 am

^I'm similar

I wouldn't say my nose is any better or worse than average but it's sensitive. I find certain smells overwhelming and or irritating. I've gotten headaches, had coughing fits, had my throat close up like an asthmatic, and with prolonged exposure I've even gotten sick.

On the other side of that I've come across some scents that others might not take note of that fill me with a sense of calm and happiness.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 11:03 pm

lordfakename wrote:
The thing with sensory differences with autism is that the sense tend to be wildly different from what is typical, but not necessarily in a consistent way. I rarely smell anything but very strong smells, but other people I know who are autistic are super-sensitive.

I agree with lordfakename here. Autistics frequently have senses outside the Neurotypical range. This can mean hyposensitivity like the study claimed - but failed to prove in my opinion - or it can mean hypersensitivity like people have demonstrated here.

I am hypersensitive to smell. Perfume, deodorant, body wash, body odor, candles, air freshers, and chemical cleaners (even scent free) make me feel physically ill. My Service Dog had to help pull me to the opposite side of the main hallway in the mall in order to walk past a Bath and Body Works yesterday.

I also stim on scents, like pine trees, books, pencils, burning wood, gasoline, and dogs (well, only my dog really). Luckily, my dog is almost always with me. When he retires this year, I will have to start bringing pencils everywhere with me.

And I can depend on my sense of smell almost as much as my sight or hearing (and not just because my sense of sight and hearing are abnormal too). I can tell when I am getting close to sprinklers by smell, even if I cannot see or hear them.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Feb 2019, 6:24 am

I have a poor sense of smell but strong scents can really aggravate it, like perfume or pollen. Some of this is probably related to my sinus & allergy problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 9:42 am

I would say that smell is my strongest sense. Some smells are really nice, while others are obnoxious. I hate excessive perfume/cologne.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2019, 1:26 pm

I can often smell things that others can't. However I don't know whether the things that I can smell in these circumstances are actually real smells or not. There isn't usually an obvious source. Maybe it is some sort of olfactory synesthesia and the smells I am experiencing are not actually present at all. My mum was the same and could smell all sorts of things that nobody else could.

When presented with real smells coming from known sources my sense of smell is pretty strong. Like many on this thread I love the smell of books, both old and new. I have a particular favourite that smells very strongly of peat smoke. I also love the smell of rock pools and seaweed as they are exposed by the ebbing tide.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm

I would happily sniff petrol for hours if there weren't significant health risks involved.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 4:03 pm

Certain smells can make me physically sick. I was in the car with my mom once and we drove past an area where a skunk had been and I threw up.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 9:19 pm

My sense of smell is strong, and relatively tolerant to strong smells.

Just rendered very weak, therefore useless for like, 90% of the time. :| There are times I have no sense of smell for months because of something else unrelated to autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.