the social aspect of multiplayer gaming

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:44 am

i thought of posting this in the "making friends" section, but who am i kidding... there may be other positive side effects, but i know my motives. if there aren't going to be girls in a game, then i'll just keep playing single-player games like i've done all my life

what multiplayer games / what kinds of multiplayer games have you played? what are your personal experiences and personal stories of social interaction through multiplayer games? what is it like? is it ever anything relevant compared to the gameplay itself? or is it more like an annoying side effect? have you ever become friends with anyone you met through a video game? do you know of anyone who has?

Last edited by anagram on 02 Aug 2016, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Aug 2016, 1:58 am

I wouldn't go there expecting to find a relationship but who knows, I use to play online a lot back in the day and it was a lot of fun altho you have to deal with abuse being hurled at you from literal children but that's part of the charm I guess. I miss it, it's more of a social outlet than I have now.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 2:05 am

Jacoby wrote:
I wouldn't go there expecting to find a relationship but who knows, I use to play online a lot back in the day and it was a lot of fun altho you have to deal with abuse being hurled at you from literal children but that's part of the charm I guess. I miss it, it's more of a social outlet than I have now.

expecting a relationship would certainly be unrealistic no matter what. a "plausible illusion" of a possibility would suffice :wink:

if it motivates me to get through the adaptation stages of something i might like (multiplayer games), then it's all good

i forgot to ask, i'm adding it to my op: what multiplayer games / what kinds of multiplayer games have you played?

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 4:44 am

I played a social real-time strategy game in the past, called Battle Pirates. The social side of it was mostly game-related. Anything else was usually middle-aged men making jokes or complaints about their wives.

If you are hoping to find a partner inside a video game, that's probably like winning the lottery. I certainly wouldn't be expecting it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 4:48 am

Mass online games bore me, and I really don't like to be committed to some team's scheduled plans. I like to play when I want to play.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 7:51 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
and I really don't like to be committed to some team's scheduled plans. I like to play when I want to play.

that's the main thing that instantly turns me off about the thought of multiplayer games. i suppose it's not an issue with all games, but i wouldn't know where to start if i want to find a suitable game that would allow me enough control over my own timing

i'll probably post something about that in the gaming subforum sometime

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
If you are hoping to find a partner inside a video game, that's probably like winning the lottery. I certainly wouldn't be expecting it.

i tend to thrive in scenarios where people don't see possibility (only in those scenarios, and fail in all other ones). it's how i make my money, it's how i got my second nationality, and it's even how i met my ex. so, it's unrealistic to expect it, yes, but if anyone can do it, i believe i can, even if chances are i won't. so i don't think it's unrealistic to try. luck matters, but i believe persistence and attentiveness matter at least just as much

that is, assuming i can actually like those games, and that they do offer some kind of chance for pleasant personal contact. that's the part that i'm very ignorant about

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 10:35 am

The only multiplayer games I play are fighting games. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, etc. It's quick, I can play when I want and you don't need to talk to anyone.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 10:46 am

Multiplayer games are basically a 2nd job anymore, you need to burn massive amounts of time to grind content the way the game wants so you can get the rewards you need to stay competitive with the other players-- this creates an atmosphere that is no different than an office cubicle and a boss demanding "more", except that you're paying for it and not getting paid for it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

I played more FPS like COD and sports games, something like WoW or most other MMORPG are too boring and slow for me but the problem with the ones I played was the little kids verbally abusing you and also the fact that the games don't really change that much from year to year. I kind of grew out of it, it was fun for the interaction more than the game.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:11 pm

Only girls i've met through gaming were too busy playing the game, already taken - or just not my type (or vice versa).

I don't play to find a date, i play to have fun. I also learn about other people and their lives and becomes more open minded / judgemental depending on what happens. Like with internet forums.

Some people who play Everquest 2 got married (both ingame and IRL), and i heard about a guy who met a girl in another MMO but he died at the kitchentable (choked on food) and left her devastated.

Wouldn't mind meeting someone in a game though, probably better since the whole gamer aspect is already known and you do not have to worry about her thinking you're immature and all that...

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2016, 12:14 pm

I made several friends thru social games. They are always temporary but fun while they last. One aspect I liked was that they were usually from a different country and that made it more interesting sometimes, to learn the cultural differences. I would try to hold up my side of the friendship but online stuff is usually very tenuous. 'Easy come, easy go' about sumerizes it.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 11:58 pm

doesn't sound too promising so far. i suppose meeting anyone significant through gaming is more of "gaming community" thing rather than just people who happen to like and play the same game and interact through it? that would make sense. and even though i own literally hundreds of games, i am not "a gamer". i guess i'm just a hoarder :lol:

i should probably just look at it as if other players are a particular type of ai that might possibly pass the turing test, nothing more

enz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 2:57 am

Pokemon go i by far the most social game I've played, but it isn't for me