Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 10:55 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That last part seems to touch on the other abysmal thing here - we don't really have a culture anymore.

yes. i believe that is very close to the core of the problem. apart from a few significant things here and there (like lactose tolerance; not much in the way of social instinct itself), human dna doesn't account for the social structures of civilization. people have a natural instinct to help "their kin". not their country, but their clan. dozens, not millions

when kinship is lost, it's all forced, and it gets tense. and obviously, when multiculturalism means accentuating differences between groups who don't really get along with each other (like promoting "tolerance" in the sense of "i tolerate you. for now"), that problem only gets worse

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm

anagram wrote:
well i'm not, i'm just saying it's absurd. i imagine jay z probably would complain about it though if you suggested him the idea. it's demeaning. he's filthy rich already, and he made his own fortune. and apparently he's not even an as*hole (which is quite a feat for a successful rapper). which makes me believe he would probably tell you "are you out of your mind? get this handout out of my sight. there are people out there who need it. i don't"

Then he can give it all to charity.

anagram wrote:
he sure does. i pay zero taxes to your government. why that would be relevant in the slightest, i have no idea

Because he's getting no net amount from the government, even if they pay him.

anagram wrote:
first: "you as a country owe them". them? are they not americans themselves? second: what about the nearderthals? i believe i have some neanderthal dna. my race was exterminated! 8O. if you don't have hobbit feet, that means you owe me. your species killed mine

Yes, they are Americans. America owes some Americans money. Neanderthals and humans for that matter, had no civilization at the time. There were no racist institutions, just individuals. And it's by no means clear that modern humans killed off the neanderthals. They probably just assimilated with them.

anagram wrote:
where would you ever draw the line? who exactly qualifies as black and who doesn't, anyway? you need to understand this: race is a cultural construct. and as such, it is fluid

We don't have to figure it all out now. We can start a new government agency, the Bureau of Reparations, to determine such things.

anagram wrote:
it's because of that kind of thinking that there are people in places like israel (and many other places on earth really, it's just that israel is pretty obvious) fighting each other forever because "it's their land". that's just crazy
I think just the opposite, it would end lingering hostility.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 5:06 pm

AspE wrote:
I think just the opposite, it would end lingering hostility.

well, good luck then