hey could anyone tell me signs of aspergers in genders?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

4040goal40402
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm

I will be going through the diagnostic process soon, for Aspergers/ADHD to finally find out if I'm on the spectrum,
I'm 24 and all my life knew something was different about me compared to others , for many reasons, without listing my symptoms I'd like to see what responses I get from people on the spectrum, so I can see if I tick any boxes so to speak. Thank you :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm

This video may be an interesting backgrounder for you:

https://vimeo.com/27015431

It was made five years ago though from what I have read here since, diagnostic issues for female AS have not progressed very much since. Part of the reason for this may be that criteria used diagnostically is based on male-biased research samples in the first place. It seems curious that no good basic research studies on females with AS has emerged since to help both professional diagnosers and their clients, especially given the huge research funds available to other kinds of autism research.

I hope your diagnostic quest goes well.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 10:32 pm

While the symptoms of autism do not change in different genders it can still present differently in girls and boys.

Girls can be more social than boys but psychologists suspect this is because of the reason that girls tend to be more socially accepting and tend to mentor girls that are more awkward.

Autistic girls also tend to be more artistic than intellectual and drawn towards animals and nature rather than computers and machines, this could be due to the nurturing instinct in young girls.

Girls on the spectrum are also more likely to mimic other girls in their life.

But like they say, if youve met one person with autism then youve met one person with autism.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

4040goal40402
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2016, 5:36 pm

Yep very interested in animals tbh especially butterflies
dogs etc learning , documentaries,
but can also be interested in learning about space planets the solar system,
also like to research films i watch see what other people say when they review then, research the actors, actress's find out what other films their in and what they are doing on twitter for example..
its like me in college i was very good at the written work for childcare
writing down you know the theorist's and different age ranges etc i really studied in depth its been years so i forgot alot of it now, but i still know some and could recap if i wanted to but, its a sore point for me i won't go into it.
anyway tho i was good at the written work, and one of their best written work students,
i struggled in placement, being socially appropriate with the children i tried to talk to them like kids but it was difficult, to use smaller words. And felt fake. What I did notice was I specially got on well with the SEN children, autistic children/adhd which made me think. I thought nah I can't be autistic, I'm a girl. it's only for boys ( my ex was autistic but also very abusive for a while I put it down to Aspergers, but now I know it was about control, and the person he is.) But I never found the way he liked to do things odd or his obsessions with cats as i was obsessed with dogs.
eventually the relationship broke up, and i suffered severe anxiety an depression i don't want to go into too much details, as my life is a very personal thing. But I have been thinking alot lately maybe I'm high functioning autistic? Some of my friends are I seem to be able to relate to them quite well, I get obsessed just like they do I like routine and hate change, and i feel often like i'm having sensory overload issues.. But I guess time will tell I'm not going to say I certainly autistic, tho I've had test's come out as high and most likely. - ( I was badly bullied during school too ) But I think its possible. And if so I will just deal with it, I've dealt with it my whole life so its nothing new, I just never knew 100 percent xx